“Served a purpose but wouldn’t return out of choice.”
Review of The Chase Hotel

The Chase Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed here one night, attended a wedding (different venue) in the local area

Public areas are rather nice, old style but with modern touches (stripy carpets). Bar / lounge lovely and bright in the morning sunshine, restaurant airy with large windows.

Rooms however quite different, our room faced other sections of the buildings and really was quite dark (even on a bright day), thick net curtains didn’t help.

Room was also quite small, décor although was clean was really depressing, mix of shades of nondescript green, there was no style or design. Paying £90 a night I would expect a bit more luxury and if I had booked for a ‘holiday’ rather than just a place to sleep I would have been very disappointed.

Room was chilly on arrival but radiators worked one the thermostats were turned up (the heating was switched on)

Bathroom was large (and a lot lighter) but complimentary toiletries weren’t a recognised brand so again didn’t meet the usual £90 a night standard. Our kettle didn’t work but quickly was replaced.

Agree with comments on walls being paper thin, sound of next doors shower woke me up at 7am.

Breakfast was actually quite good, mix of self service but with a member of staff serving the hot stuff (guess to reduce wastage), full English fry up selection including hash browns and black pudding.

But scrambled eggs never fare well if prepared in advance and kept warm so had gone watery. Toast wasn’t offered, we had to ask, it then took ages and finally came out barely toasted and cold!

Served a purpose but wouldn’t return out of choice.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vanessa_Bristol

Reviewed May 5, 2012

Very good friendly and helpful staff. Comfortable room. Good breakfasts with a wide choice.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Millsee9251
Reviewed April 20, 2012

We ate in "Harry's" the restaurant at the hotel. It was quiet as it was a Wednesday. The food was amazing, some of the best food we've eaten in Herefordshire !!! We have recommended it to all our friends. Thanks

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Allisonhereford
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I have stayed at The Chase on three separate occasions, and have been so impressed that I bought two nights there, as a present, recently, for my daughter and her partner. The Hotel is a lovely building and the grounds are huge (over 10 acres), and they are surrounded by high walls that make you feel that you are miles from anywhere, when in fact you are a short walk from the centre of Ross on Wye. There are about 35 rooms in total and they are all of a good size and are all clean, and well furnished. There is ample parking in the hotel grounds, and meals are available from the bar area at lunch times and on an evening if you do not wish to dine in the restaurant. We have tried both options and can thoroughly recommend them both. I must say that I do like the breakfast being cooked to order as everything comes out piping hot, and fresh, The staff are great, and my only complaint is that I have always managed to get an upstairs room and this means a haul up the long central stairway as there are no lifts. This is a real pain if you have heavy suitcases and are not particularly young or fit.

Room Tip: The views out the back rooms are great as the rear gardens are very pretty.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank geronimo1049
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stopped here for one night and booked just hours before arrival on a whim. Price was reasonable and the hotel was in lovely grounds and the staff were helpful.
Granted the room was a little dated, but was spacious for two and clean. It overlooked the grounds and we were pleased a last minute cheap deal didnt mean a compromised room. My only complaint was that the bed was too hard, then that's my taste!
Breakfast was wonderful and relaxing, staff were helpful. On returning home I discovered I has left my favourite dress in the room, staff were most helpful and sent it on to me.
Will definitely stay again, top tip: the Indian over the road was amazing as recommended by the receptionist!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I happened across a special offer of D,B&B for £49 per head, per night, at the Chase on the internet and I quickly booked through the 'Classic British Hotels' website.

We were greeted with a smile where ever we went in the hotel, just as it should be. The room (No 14) was adequate and clean. The bar and restaurant (Harry's) were spotless and the service was first class. The food at both dinner and breakfast was excellent, all freshly cooked and served by very courteous staff. Even when the restaurant was busy with a large dinner party the food was cooked and served promptly.

My only little moan is about the cheese served on our first night, of the four varieties two were very ordinary (the plastic Cheddar and the hideous white stuff with apricot bits). When my wife and I went for a walk through the town we came across a fantastic cheese stall in the market place offering local cheeses. So come on 'The Chase' get some tasty local stuff in...

But don't let my little moan detract from a GREAT weekend and FANTASTIC value!

Well done the staff...............................

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank blackharrington
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed one night at this lovely hotel, which is situated in a quiet location,yet only a short
walk into town and the riverside,staff were very welcoming on arrival,our room was not very big but comfortable clean and fresh,nice fluffy towels and toiletries.We ate in the lounge and
were able to pick from the restaurant or bar menu,the food was excellent,as was breakfast
which is served in a pleasant light room,plenty of selection,good efficiant service with a smile,
we had a relaxed comfortable stay.

Room Tip: If there is a function on it could be noisy if you were above it,best to check before you go.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple