“Wouldn't stay again - not up to expectations.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brampton Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ross-on-Wye
Brampton Cottage
Ranked #33 of 40 Ross-on-Wye B&B and Inns
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
“Wouldn't stay again - not up to expectations.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

I don't like leaving "unhappy" reviews, but feel it's only fair to the B&B's that are really good. We stayed in the large twin end room. On first appearances really quaint, individual furnishings, and nice views. But on closer inspection I found quite a few (thankfully dead) large flies about and also what appeared to be mouse droppings. I am pretty sure no-one had slept in the room for some time. I had to ask for the inclusive "afternoon tea" which was brought in the form of 2 cups of tea (nothing provided for my daughter), and no extra supplies to make further drinks - even tho there was a kettle in the room. We had to put up the 3rd bed ourselves - the sheets (folded inside) were dirty and had obviously been used before. Unfortunately I failed to correctly secure this bed and it collapsed in the night so ended up sleeping on its mattress on floor instead (I opted to sleep on floor as didn't want my daughter there after seeing what I am sure were mouse droppings).
When I asked to visit the hens it was made clear to us that the garden where they were was private, so no. When I asked whether there was a lounge area it was also made clear that we were to stay in the bedroom, not sit downstairs in the breakfast area / anywhere else. And to top off a very uncomfortable stay, we didn't enjoy breakfast either. Dirty tablecloth (had egg on it) and I think we were the only guests that morning so not from an earlier sitting. I'm afraid I found the cooked breakfast inedible - it created a horrid atmosphere, as we felt so rude hardly touching it, but it was undercooked (runny scrambled egg) and my veggie option appeared to have been cooked in with the bacon and sausages - such a waste. It certainly wasn't a cheap B&B and from the advertising I expected so much more. I also felt unwelcome from start to finish of the stay, despite trying to make the best of it. Unless things have changed a lot since, I really would recommend others to avoid this B&B.

Room Tip: Just don't stay!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank RachelsReviews

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Warwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

My daughter and I recently spent a night at Brampton Cottage as a base for exploring the area and were pleased with our choice. It is a character cottage in a very quiet rural spot, with proper dark, starry sky at night. We stayed in the twin/family room which was spacious and clean, with extremely comfortable beds, we slept soundly. There was a washbasin in the room, and we were offered a little jug of fresh milk, so that we could make ourselves a good cup of tea in the morning. If you were looking for style, you might be disappointed with the twin/family room, as furniture was of the older, family sort, with two additional folding beds standing by, but it suited our needs. It would also be suitable for for several children to share, with mum/dad in the double room next door, which was fitted out in charming blue and white cottage style. The bathroom for the two rooms was clean, and bathed in sunlight. Breakfast was overlooking the sunny orchard, excellent scrambled eggs. Don't think the marmalade can have been home-made on this occasion, as it was in shop-jars, but perfectly good. We found the owners friendly and accommodating, and particularly enjoyed meeting the resident cat, Maya, who was allowed up to our room, at my daughter's request, but was put out at night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Lukewarm reception from owners son, cobwebs, dead spiders in the on suite room, cobwebs above bed in other double room, cabinet in onsuite room full of out of date prescribed medication. Breakfast very poor def not any home made bread, coffee looked as though it had been in tin for long time, no milk, mugs or spoons in room, very overpriced, def would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank julia c
SusanHerefordshire, Owner at Brampton Cottage, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
If you look at my previous reviews on Trip Advisor and on Top Rooms you will see this one is just a plip. .The reason for this was that a very close family bereavement meant I had to be away for a few days . My son stood in and did a very good job, on the whole ,looking after my guests . So he may have missed a few cobwebs and forgotten to replace the tea things . Other guests who knew the reason I was away were very understanding. This would also explain why there was no home made bread . As for the medicine cabinet containing out of date prescribed medication , this guest had no business even opening the cupboard which is very clearly marked as PRIVATE. Unfortunately I did not meet this family but If I had I would have been delighted to explain why things were perhaps not quite up to the usual high standard and would have hoped for some understanding from these guests .
Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Brampton Cottage is a charming and relaxing place to stay.The owners are friendly and welcoming ,as are their lovely two dogs and cat.We were treated to homemade bread and a delicious breakfast every morning.Ross-on-Wye is a beautiful place to visit,the town itself having lots of lovely shops and places to eat.We stayed for a long weekend, I just wish we had been able to stay longer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
wakefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Bed comfortable.. slept well and quiet surroundings.. NO NOISE...
Breakfast was great and she makes her own bread...
Very friendly people..

They have animals but they are not allowed in the breakfast room,,,

Also very clean....
Would recommend highly

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank fionaWakefield
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I just wanted to say what a delightful stay we had recently at Brampton Cottage. It was just before Christmas and we had some beautiful walks both along the River Wye and also in Symmonds Yat, both being within reach by foot and car respectively. My husband and I and our two children were very well looked after, we had one dinner in and one dinner out and the dinner in was memorable. Breakfasts were very jolly and the children really enjoyed the smell of freshly baked bread when they woke. We asked for packed lunches on both days and were pleased we did as it freed us up to explore the area without needing to stop in any pubs and we were took our own thermoses of tea. The weather was kind which added to our very memorable visit. I intend to return in the summer and stay in their bell tents which look great fun. Jay Minchin, Isle of Wight

Room Tip: Take wellies as the walks can begin right from the front door. Very pet friendly house and garden.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Joanna M
Marlborough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

this B&B was in a lovely peaceful ,we had a comfortable night stay. downstairs smelt of old animals but upstairs the bedrooms were ok. I do like animals but didn't like the cats jumping up at the breakfast table and the dogs walking around the breakfast room. Also conversations with the owner felt a bit awkward at times. This B&B was the most expensive we stayed at during our trip and after staying at other B&B i think it is over priced.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Leanne M
SusanHerefordshire, Owner at Brampton Cottage, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
I am suprised at this review as our cat & dog are not allowed to wander around the breakfast room . The only exception to this is when our guests show an interest in them and ask to meet them . All other reviews comment on the friendly and helpful hosts and the breakfasts score highly for their content and the fact that the bread is home made as are the jams and marmalades . Alot of reviews also added that Brampton Cottage is good value and very comfortable bed and breakfast .