“The Great British Sunday Lunch”

Glewstone Court Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 91 Restaurants in Ross-on-Wye
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Glewstone Court Restaurant is a 2 AA rosette restaurant within the Glewstone Court Country House serving traditional British and European cuisine. Dress code is smart casual and it is recommended that you make a reservation.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We arrived early and set up camp in front of the fire with the Sunday papers, a bottle of wine and a plate of delicious crudite - excellent - just what a great British Sunday should be! There was no attempt to rush us despite the fact that they were about to become very busy, menus were left for us to consider at our leisure.

We moved to the dining room, an elegant room with views over the front lawn, where I started with avacado and blush pear with a blue cheese dressing - simply gorgeous, my partner had the chicken liver pate and onion chutney with which he was also very pleased. His roast beef was pink and came with a Yorkshire pudding and all the timmings - I had pork with crackling, caremalised apples and 'to die for' gravy - all yummy. The dish of veg, that we shared, was also tasty and beautifully cooked though we could have done with more (which I am sure would have been provided had we asked). My partner enjoyed his bread and butter pudding whilst I downed a delicious rhubarb creme brulee to finish. With a modest bottle of wine the bill was £60 excluding the gratuity, which the first class service justly deserved. It was not our first trip to Glewstone and certainly won't be our last. The lovely old house has a wonderfully relaxed country house feel, Bill is a joyously eccentric host, the food is very good, the welcome is warm and friendly and the staff cheerful and super efficient. What more could you want?

Reviewed March 30, 2013

i believe most people read these reviews with a pinch of salt ,have you noticed on some they drop the name of a close establisment into the reviews.
Last night my wife and I attended Glewstone for a meal,we wasnt dressed middle class my wife had been diong the vat all day and Ihad been working on a security system on our house we were treated like honoured guests so where the reviewer gets hi knickers in aywist about middle class clientelle comes from I do not know,back to the review sat in the bar made fuss of the one dog,wife made the request no garlic Biil took it on board
Starter mussels presentation perfection mussels best of have ever had westons cream sauce brilliant size of portion spot on where oh where do you get those pans from.
Meal I had the sea bass fried in butter if everyone cooked sea bass like this there would nt be enough bass in the world
Sweet what a surprise came back from a quick break in La gomera last week we had been there to study churros thinking it was the next culinary thing and there it was doughnuts on the menu this establishment is forward thinking.
coffee in the lounge we fussed a dog each.
Must say as others do over the years I have either rated this place as Number one or Number 2 in the country but for expertise and value for money this surely is Number one yet again.
Perfection in every way
I always sign my remarksJ.cooke

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked an evening meal for 15 people (and one baby in a push chair) within about 8 days notice. At no stage did this appear to be a problem.
On arrival, we had a pre-dinner drink in the bar (a lovely room) and placed our orders with mein host. He is a real character, but definitely in control, whilst having a good relationship with his staff.
We were then seated in a room totally dedicated to our party, which was a good job because it allowed certain members of the party to be as raucous as they wished. It was a lovely room, maintaining the same atmosphere as the bar.
The food was fantastic and the staff were very pleasant and helpful, even assisting with photographs whilst putting up with the questionable wit of members of the party.
The menu was extensive and met all tastes. The food was very well cooked, and presented in a stylish manner.
I don't know why I will be in this area again, but if I am, I shall beat a path to their door.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

A family birthday dinner for five of a senior level ( over 50 anyway) on a Monday night - I have been to quite a number of places when staying in Ross and this was certainly the most enjoyable, by a distance. It is a country house hotel but almost not an hotel and it has the atmosphere of an older time; unpretentious, slightly tired but very comfortable, informal and friendly.
Like an affable uncle, Bill plonks you down in the bar in soft chairs and gets you sorted out with drinks and a plate of canapes while you unfreeze from the cold outside - the log fire blazing - while you trip round the menu.
By request we had the table in the window in the bar rather than one in the dining room. It even had a little card with birthday wishes from Bill and Christine.
The other four all went with the day's menu and soup of the day and venison; I was a bit bolder and had gravadlax and pork tenderloin from the a la carte and we had with a couple of bottles of rioja to assist. It was all beautifully presented, delightful quality and perfectly cooked. If I could carp at all, it may be that I would have liked the vegetables in their separate shared servings (green beans, carrots, red cabbage, new potatoes) to be just a bit hotter - I'm nitpicking - but they were perfect in their slightly firm texture - I dislike limp.
We are not usually ones to go over the top with puds as well but seeing creme brulee weakened the resolve while I tucked in to the plate of local cheeses served on a board with biscuits celery and grapes. A very enjoyable dinner and very happy and well-satisfied faces...
Not cheap at over £30 per head excluding drinks and service but worth the money for the quality and the comfort. Would expect to enjoy this every time.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Visited this lovely old hotel on Sunday for lunch.When booking I had informed the receptionist that time was rather limited because of a certain Rugby match which was very much required viewing.Upon arrival we were greeted by Bill a very amiable "mine host" who took our coats and ushered us into a very comfortable bar where a welcoming log fire was blazing.Crudite and drinks were enjoyed while we ordered from a fairly extensive menu .In what seemed like no time at all we were escorted into a fine dining room replete with crisp white table linen and fresh flowers.The food we had ordered arrived and proved to be delicious In particular the Herefordshire beef which was memorable.The desserts were "to die for"and rounded off a delightful lunch served by equally delightful staff. We will definitely return.