“Nice Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Watford, United Kingdom
“Nice Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Nice hotel although a bit tired but then it is very old which does add to its character food NO complaints, great breakfast served quickly and with a smile evening meals very reasonable also so are the drinks in the bar.for the money this hotel offers good value and comfort ,one tip try to get first floor its 45 steps from ground to second floor unless you are fit yesi would return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Old_English_Inns99, Manager at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Royal, We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Neath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Fantastic from start to finish. We had a lovely welcome and quick but informative check in. The hotel was lovely and clean in the public areas as well as our room. We had requested a room with a river view before arrival and we were more than happy with the room that was reserved for us. Breakfast was lovely with a wide choice of fresh, delicious food. The jewel in the crown of The Royal Hotel is most certainly the staff, nothing was too much trouble, they were happy, friendly and very helpful. The hotel does need a tiny lick of paint which I understand will be done by the end of this year, I just hope that the character and individuality of the hotel does not disappear! We will absolutely return next year!

Room Tip: request a room with a view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am so happy you enjoyed yourself with us enough to write such a lovely review. I have passed on your comments to the team as it is nice to hear that their work ethic doesn't go unnoticed. Thank you again for your glowing review and we look forward to welcoming you back to see us in the new year when we have had the refit.
NEWPORT, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

If you are coming to the end of a days ambling around Ross on Wye, just take 300yds out and head towards the cliffs to the river and enjoy the great view from the Royal Hotel Restaurant.

The meals start from £5 for a snack and a drink, with lots of other options also, service was jolly and the food came quickly. For a quick in and out that's a little local colour (locals seem to go there) this is the place.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MikeWNewport_Uk
Thank you for your review of the Royal! We are very central and the views are stunning. We do work hard to deliver good customer service and thank you for your kind words We look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

Wherever we visit I always find myself reading Tripadvisor to see what others have to say! Do not believe all you read about this Hotel! Yes it does look tired, but I feel that adds to its character.
The Staff (Particularly the wonderful Michelle) were excellent and very friendly and helpful.
We stayed at the top of the hotel in room 33. It was very, very quiet and I believe there were a fair few staying in the hotel. So no issue here. I will recommend this lovely hotel to any one who wishes to have a short visit.
Well done to all!
Paul

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your kind words, we work hard to give the guest the best possible service we can and I am glad you enjoyed your room. Michelle is fantastic and I have already passed your feedback onto her!

Thank you again for taking the time to review us and we hope to see you again soon.
Pembrokeshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We visited this hotel a few times whilst on holiday in the area. The beer Greene King I.P.A. was lovely, and the view of the Wye from the outdoor terrace area is very nice. We ate here twice. I would rate it as average. Available was a three course meal for £9.95 per person, and although it obviously wasn't 'top notch', it was adequate and sufficient for the price. The atmosphere on the terrace was nice. There is free WiFi here.....always handy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review of the Royal, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We only stayed for one night and had single rooms. Reception area lovely, as were the staff that greeted us.
Although it's a lovely hotel, we had the same issue as previous comments. Two different parts but like management have stated, a refurb will solve this. Although this refurbishment will help, giving the older rooms a good clean would be enough for me. In my room the carpets hadn't been hoovered, spiders and their webs were absolutely everywhere. Nice clean sheets and a comfy bed though! Plus a brilliant shower!! If the rooms were cleaned, that room would be more than enough for a couple nights. Breakfast was great with polite and helpful staff.
Might have to return after the refurb and have a look :)

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lucyks
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I am delighted to hear that the staff made the stay memorable. I must take the time to apologies for the cleanliness not being up to our usual standard and I have passed this onto the housekeeping team. We are due for refurbishment early in the new year... keep and eye out and pop back for a new look Royal.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I wrote a review on my last stay here on the 2nd May (I think) and as I'm staying here again I had to submit a further review. I didn't want people reading my first review and being swayed by those comments only to end up in the room I am in now. I have to take some responsibility here. Using a popular booking site I clearly didn't book the same grade of room as I did on a previous visit and the hotel can't be blamed for that. However there are clearly two distinct parts to this hotel. The one I stayed in last time was superb. The room I have this time is in a different part or wing of the hotel and is of a different standard. Avoid low numbered rooms if possible! When you step through from one part to the other there is a marked difference, in smell, decoration and general atmosphere. My room this time is small and in dire need of updating. A far cry from last time. It is still a great hotel if you book a room in the right part of the hotel.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank YorkshireJoff
Old_English_Inns99, Brand at The Royal Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time again to give a further review on your second stay at the Royal Hotel. As you have stated the Hotel does have many different rooms, these rang from single rooms up to and including the superior rooms. All rooms are priced on the size and style of room and of course if you pay the upper price for a superior room you will get a larger room with views acroos the river. This would be the same in most Hotel businesses. I would also like to inform you and other guests that the Royal will be receiving a full refurbishment in early 2014. To assist guest we are re- naming the types of rooms to make it even clearer on the type of room you can book - this will include standard rooms, view rooms and suprior rooms. This has resulted in some superior rooms being down graded to standard or view rooms and reducing the number of superior room to just 6 rooms (These are the very best rooms with additional space, additional furniture and fantastic views) I hope this assists guests when booking this hotel.