We have just returned from a two night break at Glewstone Court to celebrate my father-in-law's 70th Birhday. This is a magical place that makes you feel instantly relaxed. The first impression was great as we pulled up the drive to see the house and beautiful grounds and we were not disappointed as we went in through the front door to check in.
On the first night we were in room 3 overlooking the cherry orchard. The room was spacious and charming but we did have a problem with the bed. We need not have worried as the next morning when we mentioned it to Bill he found the bed to be at fault and upgraded us to the (luckily for us) vacant bridal suite. Room 1 is huge and charming and we loved the antique furniture and the huge bed which was extremely comfortable. We had views over the front of the house and gardens and as we were lucky to have beautiful weather we could really enjoy them.
As a party of eleven you will always worry that the personal service will be lost but this certainly didn't apply at Glewstone court. Bill and Christine and their team were faultless in their hosting making us feel very welcomed and valued guests at all times. The waiting staff worked tirelessly to ensure that our meals in the private dining room went without hitch and on the birthday night Bill led a rendition of Happy Birthday for my father-in-law Terry.
We all fell in love with the family dogs especially Benji who fairly gives his attention to everyone who wants it.
The food at Glewstone really deserves a separate review all to itself. The food is of exceptionally high standard and fresh high quality ingredients are used and it really shows. My lamb was exceptional on the second night and the Thai chicken tempura was a lovely starter. I didn't hear a single complaint about the food from anyone. The breakfast is also lovely with lots of double yolkers in the eggs and the best black pudding that I have ever tasted. The service is relaxed but efficient and the setting is without fault. I can only suggest that you give Glewstone court a try for yourself.
Thank you Bill and Christine for making it such a memorable 70th for Terry.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Glewstone Court is an iconic Country Manor House dating back to 1709 with Georgian and Regency features. You approach the property past an awesome 300 year old Cedar of Lebanon. Glewstone was a finalist for the Restaurant of the Year and Breakfast of the Year in "Flavours of Herefordshire", Our food is innovative and prepared from good, fresh local ingredients; organic and free-range whenever possible. It has a comfortable atmosphere that permeates the bedrooms, lounge bar and restaurants. Herefordshire is superb walking county and although the Hotel is a 'hidden gem', you're still only 3 miles from Ross-on-Wye. Alternatively, relax by the log fires, or on fine days, or laze in the garden with a glass of beer, wine or bubbly! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Glewstone Court reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Glewstone Court Hotel Ross-On-Wye
- Glewstone Court Ross-On-Wye, Herefordshire