“Fantastic service and quality ”

Kings Head Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 93 Restaurants in Ross-on-Wye
Cuisines: European, French, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here when passing through en route to pembrokeshire.
The hotel is located centrally which is good and is an old coach inn I believe.
It retains the character inside the building which means you shouldn't expect a modern contemporary hotel interior.
The room however was exceptionally clean and well presented. The bathroom was actually ultra modern and one of the best I've stayed in for the money.
Downstairs is a bar and restaurant and whilst I normally worry about hotels with bars downstairs this was more food orientated and noise was no problem.
It was busy in the restaurant but the staff did their best and squeezed us in the lounge area which was very nice. The food was exceptional and service was very good and friendly.
Breakfast was included and again this was of a very high standard.
All in all I could not fault this place, the management have clearly picked and trained their staff well.
Would happily stay again, in fact I hope to!

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Great Food, great place, wonderful chef. I tasted some of the best restaurant food I highly recommend a visit if you are in the area. The staff are freindly and very courteous. I will definately eat their again.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Table behind coffee machine & bar.Told all other tables booked. Lots stayed empty, still refused to move us. Food ok , but so disappointed by staff attitude we left food & got out. Will never return.

2  Thank padsmore
lautrecs99, Owner at Kings Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I'm sorry you were not happy with the table that you sat on. We have had several diners sit at this table with no complaints reported.
We do try to allocate what we think are the best table available at the time to diners and if possible offer a choice. We do not deliberately put people on tables that they are not happy with and are quite happy to move people if an alternative become available. Of course what to one person is a horrid table to another is quite often a lovely table; we don't all have the same taste, fortunately.

I can assure you every restaurant table was fully booked the night you dined with us and at the time you arrived there was no other table in the restaurant available. When you were seated, this was explained to you. Obviously, if you had wanted to wait for another table to become free, it would have not been a problem. After you had finished your starters a table close to a large table of diners did become available. As the lady serving you had become aware by this time, that you were not happy with where you were sitting, this table was offered to you twice but you declined the offer both times. The large table did leave quite quickly after their main courses, so more tables did become free later in the evening.
I hope your partner enjoyed his home-made burger he ate, it's a shame you didn’t finish your steak, which was of course taken off your bill.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I was dining on my own and decided to eat here on a Monday night as everywhere else was shut! I had the goats cheese tart which, whilst a seeming everpresent on every vegetarian menu, was done in an interesting and different way and cooked extremely well. I also had one of the best pints of bitter I've had for a long time (Wye Valley Bitter). This review fails to hit 5 out of 5 though because the service was pretty inattentive and the atmosphere not great with whole cds being put on to run all the way through (so if you don't like that artist, tough!). The menu could also do with more veggie options as the starters were only olives or soup and the only other main course had something I don't eat in it (and no specials board).

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are pleased you enjoyed your vegetarian tart. We make no apologies for not having an extensive menu and we do not advertise that we have a specials board.
Our menu, which changes with the seasons, has nine starters, two of which are vegetarian and 13 mains with two again being vegetarian. By keeping our menu to a manageable size, we can offer fresh local produce, cooked to order, at a reasonable cost but with plenty of choice.
According to our records you ate in our bar next to the counter and not in our restaurant. We do not play cds but use an mp3 player, with many albums by various artists, which is on shuffle.
We're sorry that at the time you dined, 6.30pm, the bar was quiet; it was after all a Monday evening in February. I can assure you are restaurant did fill up later in the evening and has a very pleasant atmosphere.

Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

This place is great. Clean and modern rooms. Friendly staff nothing to much trouble. In the centre of ross close to all emenities. Fantastic food a must try place. I have stayed twice before and never disappointed. Keep up the great service guys.