“Unwelcome and rude....”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Ledbury, United Kingdom
“Unwelcome and rude....”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I was away with 5 others on business and we fancied having an evening meal here. At 8.30pm i rang to book a table for 6. The girl that answered the phone seemed very uninterested and advised me that "the Chefs are insistent on closing the kitchen at 9pm and that we would need to ave ordered all we required by then". She really did not seem at all interested in serving us so we decided to try another restaurant. Our search took us two doors down the road to 'Mondo', i am so glad we found this gem, service, food and drink impeccable. I must than the Kings Head for their rudeness or we would have missed.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank DazRoss
lautrecs99, Owner at Kings Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
After having talking to the person you spoke to on the phone and a member of staff who overheard what she had said. As well as knowing the individual as a friendly experienced manageress. I wish to dispute your version.

At 8.45pm you rang looking for a table and explained as you were not nearby you would not be able to make it until some time after 9pm. It was politely explained to you, as the restaurant closes at 9pm, that we only take bookings up to 8.45pm and that you would need to be in the restaurant by the latest 9pm as that was when the kitchen stopped taking orders. It is our right as a business to chose our opening hours that match our business needs. Inducements of being big spenders and "going to spend at least £200" make no difference to us, we treat all our customers equally and fairly.

Being frustrated in being too late to dine with us is understanble. However, that doesn't mean its reasonable or fair to make unfounded accusations against a hard working, friendly member of staff.

Hereford, United Kingdom
“Fab Fathers Day lunch”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

In my experience, on "special" days where restaurants know they'll be busy eg. Mothers Day, Easter Sunday, etc, the quality can sometimes suffer.
We booked lunch here today and arrived to find the restaurant full but service and food didn't appear to have suffered at all. We had a variety of things, from soup to fish and chips (half size for my daughter) and a herby crusted cod, plus four different puddings and it was all gorgeous.
Really reasonable too, with the childrens portions at about £5 for mains and ours around the £10 mark. Excellent value we thought!
Well done Kings Head. For a small town hotel, the food really is excellent.

• Visited June 2013
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Excellent food at good prices”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I had heard good things about this place but had never been. It was a really busy Tuesday night. There is a really good menu with lots of choice, although I don’t think there were any specials. I went for the Rib Eye Steak for the main course, which was £14.95. It was delicious- the meat was perfectly cooked and so tender with fat running through- as rib eye should have. Served with this was homemade onion rings- with a beautiful crisp batter, chips, a fresh salad and a mushroom. Overall it was delightful.
I was forced to have a pudding (!) so went for the Chocolate, nut and raisin brownie with vanilla icecream (£4.95). It was good but not amazing. There were too many chunky hazlenuts in it for my liking and the raisins were a bit chewy. Other than that the brownie was a good texture. The staff were good but they weren’t very attentive, for example they didn’t ask if our food was ok and it took a while to get the bill. Other than that though they were very friendly. I would recommend this pub.

• Visited May 2013
Newport, south wales
“Excellent lunch time treat!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stumbled by chance across the Kings Head on a busy Saturday afternoon in Ross!
The 2 courses for £10.99 caught our eye.
Beautiful historic looking hotel inside.
My daughter had a brilliant kids meal - sausage(local) beans and chips-she demolished everything and is normally very picky - £4.95 well spend!
My wife and I had the garlic mushrooms on bruschetta to start - beautiful sauce.
I had the steak and ale pie for main - seriously good pie!! Well worth £15+in other restaurants!
My wife had a beautiful Shepard pie - stupidly tasty and homemade!
Service was faultless too!
We will be back whenever we're passing again! :)

• Visited May 2013
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, restaurant dated.”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Our first impression was that the hotel carpark wasnt easy to find. We only had lunch, which was very good, the mussels in thai spices were excellent, it would have been nice to have had some bread served with them though. The service was good although the two waitesses were gossiping as they moved tables and chairs around.

The restaurant was very quiet and old fashioned, in fact from the little of the rest of the hotel we saw, it looks as though it needs a bit of TLC.

The food however made up for it, good sized portions, plenty of choice and presented well. Look forward to trying the evening menu soon.

lautrecs99, Owner at Kings Head Hotel Restaurant, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are pleased you enjoyed your lunch, especially the fresh mussels and the rest of your two course lunch for £10.95.

During the evening we do provide complementary bread, baked in our own kitchen as well as chilled filtered still water.

Such is the growing popularity of our restaurant, there are plans to extend and renovate it in the New Year. All the other areas of the hotel, including its 15 en-suite bedrooms, have been extensively modernised and refurbished in the past few years.

The hotels own private car-park is not huge and is for the sole use of the hotel's residents. Unfortunately, it isn't just big enough to accommodate diners as well as hotel residents. There is a public car-park just behind ours on New Street, which currently is free after 6pm.

Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you one evening for dinner. We do recommend you book though as we do get extremely busy in the evening.