“Lovely seafood”
Review of Winking Prawn

Winking Prawn
Reserve with OpenTable
Winking Prawn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 39 Restaurants in Salcombe
Cuisines: Barbecue, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Big buckets of prawns, juicy steaks, fish dishes and breakfast buffets, ice creams, teas, coffees and even our own brand of locally brewed beer, the Winking Prawn’s style of shabby chic beach restaurant and cafe has been enjoying life at North Sands in Salcombe for more than 20 years. Sandy toes and salty paws are welcome come rain or shine for breakfast, lunch and dinner (but don’t forget to book in the evenings and keep an eye out for seasonal opening times). In the summer we also have a barbecue in the garden to enjoy as the sun goes down, and our dressing up box is legendary for bringing out your inner pirate, mermaid or fairy princess no matter how old you are. Opening times are seasonal, please take a look at our website for more information.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Close to the North Sands beach, nice seafood and wine, a must for those who enjoy local and fresh seafood

Write a ReviewReviews (1,115)

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Dirty place. Even our salad was slimy and dirty. Would not not recommend. The waiter was rude and felt everything was too much trouble. The only thing going for this place is the position

1  Thank 530Karen1983
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had lunch here with my daughter for a treat we had been told it was nice! How wrong can you get! Sat outside on wobbly chairs on long row of tables, rather like school dinners. It took an age to order as the order staff were either ninnies or couldn't be bothered , I suspect the latter, then another long wait for badly prepared food; the prices were not cheap and I wonder if the premium price reflects the fact that you can see the sea. There was going to be a wedding reception there the following day and this seemed to be taking precedence over any service we were getting. There are lots of other places to eat in Salcombe so will not be going here again. Perhaps they rely on tourists who won't be back not locals who could be.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were served by a unsmiling, surly young lady, when I asked what sea food was available I was told no winkles, no prawns, no shellfish. She then followed with 'We don't have donkey rides either', they are just signs for effect. I did say that as the place was called the Winking Prawn, I assumed that seafood would be served, no reply was forthcoming.

We seated ourselves at a table and just had a pot of tea for four, we did have a look at the cakes but they looked very tired and open to the elements so we gave them a miss. If you are going to eat at this restaurant don't expect too much then you won't be disapponted.

1  Thank jgumbo
Reviewed September 21, 2013

My mother and I had lunch at the Winking Prawn yesterday. We both live locally and have driven past this place many times so we decided that we'd give it a go and have a treat.

Outside you can find your own table, it was pretty full, there was a long table with two groups at either end so we sat down in the middle as no one minded and it seemed that was the done thing. However, when it came to ordering I was met with quite a surly waiter/order-taker: he asked what I would like to order so I began and then he quite rudely interrupted, "what's your table number?" so I explained that we were in the middle of tables 35 and 39 and both of these groups were eating also. His reply was "what's your table number?!" So I explained the situation to him again. "So what table are you sat at?!" I explained again and finished with "so take your pick of a table number" this seemed to enable him to decide on 35. Great.

So our food arrived (Whole Cracked Crab Salad with a side of chips).. firstly I asked for another knife and fork from the waiter, because we were sharing, and his attitude was like I'd just asked him to go to Sheffield for them. Very surly and I think it would be fair to say customer service was completely lacking.
Chips...not really hot enough but tasty. Crab, very delicious but it was not made clear on the menu that it wouldn't be prepared for you AT ALL. The bits of brown 'fingers' were still on it and it meant cracking it all up and sorting it all out, this was very messy but actually was quite fun and we didn't mind it really. However, there was no finger bowl supplied for cleaning dirty hands...which I've got to say is one of the most simple things to give people with their seafood and I would have thought an absolute essential at a place where there are A LOT of seafood items on the menu. So we looked in the children's sand bucket you are given with your cutlery in and there were two individual packet hand wipes. Not the standard I was expecting, considering the price of the food. Next was the 'salad', some of the leaves were slimy and off and the rest had dirt still on, like it hadn't been washed at all. Very disappointing. There was also bread (a whole baguette) with this salad, but the one single wrapped butter portion was under a big dollop of mayonnaise....the kitchen obviously not caring at all about presentation or even how someone is going to pick up that butter and use it.
One more point, the ground covering for the outside seating area is pebbled to give that beach feel. But in reality, because of this rough ground and large pebbles anyone who walks passed and perhaps just lightly brushes a chair, knocks it over...I saw this happen at least five times in the space of 40 mins. It is hard to get your chair straight on the ground, so you feel like you're sitting wonky. And what about people with wheel chairs? There didn't seem to be any access to the outside seating area for them and even if there was and I didn't see it, the ground strikes me as totally unsuitable. PLUS, the beach just over the road is a sandy beach which makes the pebbles look even more ridiculous and totally unnecessary.

I wonder how often the owners of the Winking Prawn actually eat there or visit? My guess is never. It's in a great spot and has massive potential but it is seriously lacking in all areas and I won't be returning or recommending it to anyone.

1  Thank HonestlyEating