“Stunning!!”

Overbecks Museum and Garden
Ranked #3 of 24 things to do in Salcombe
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

Go to Overbecks if you love gardens and fantastic scenery. The gardens are absolutely lovely, and the views are beautiful. The tea rooms here are excellent for food and service, egg custard tart to die for!!!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

A super destination at the end of a brilliant walk. Our favourite coastal stretch for views and beauty and this lovely museum at the end of it. Lovely gardens, interesting house, delightful musical entertainment every half hour - go and be surprised... and most importantly, a cup of tea outside with stunning views. Our most visited NT property.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were staying in Salcombe and took a lovely little boat trip on the ferry to South Sands, where we then walked up the short but steep road to Overbecks. For us as reasonably fit forty-somethings, the road was no problem, but for kids or elderly it might be a bit challenging, on account of the steepness and lack of pavement. Anyway, this review is of Overbecks, not the road to it!

Although I would not describe myself as a typical National Trust visitor, it was a great day out. We were greeted by a very pleasant, enthusiastic and knowledgeable lady on the pay gate. We then wandered around the beautiful, secluded yet extensive gardens looking at the sculptures that are temporarily on display there. This added an extra dimension to our visit. The sea views are also really nice from the gardens, if you can tear your attention away from the beautiful plants and flowers. We had lunch there too, each of us had a salad and a cream tea, both of which were delicious, though at £12 a head I would put the value at 'ok'. We then relaxed in the easy chairs in the garden, whereupon I was enchanted by the sounds of "Messiah" (I think) and "Ave Maria" coming from within the house at half-hourly intervals. It was an absolutely beautiful sound, and eventually my curiosity got the better of me and I went in to investigate. It turned out that the music was coming from a "polyphon", which is a very large version of those little wind-up music boxes where a metal comb is "twanged" by a revolving disc. We were shown the polyphon in action and allowed to choose a disc to play. This is a remarkable instrument, and once inside, I marvelled at the strange collections that Mr Overbeck had left. Very interesting indeed!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stayed in south sands and walked the steep road to Overbecks - it was well worth it. We were blessed with stunning weather with sea breezes - very welcome. The staff were extremely friendly, available to answer questions. The tea garden is delightful with beautiful views and yummy food. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and would return.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Went to Overbecks yesterday. Road access is challenging but ok if taken carefully and are prepared for the possibility of meeting oncoming traffic. Against a background of blue sky and sea the gardens are stunning, the displays inside fascinating (helped by friendly knowledgable and enthusiastic guides) and the chocolate and orange cheesecake to die for. We were recommended this on arrival and are glad we went and sampled it straight away before it vanished!