“Such a shame”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 22, 2017

In the Kingsbridge area, (we are South Hams residents), my wife and I decided to have a light lunch at South Sands, as we hadn’t eaten there for several years, and we had already booked a table for dinner there for ourselves and two friends a few weeks hence – so a prior reconnoitre would, we thought, be wise! It was.
Our hint to the welcoming waiter that we wanted to wind down first before eating, was effectively ignored – we were immediately shown to our table (with stunning views over a sunlit bay) and given menus; we were, and remained, the only diners. We were then approached three times by the two waiting staff, asking if we were ready to order; eventually we gave in. I chose soup, but was told it ‘wasn’t ready yet’!; instead I chose prawn cocktail. I was not attracted to any of the larger main courses, so chose another starter, duck salad, as a second dish. My order having been taken I was then told this was also not available. My third choice was smoked salmon. My wife chose a starter of beetroot and tomato salad with mozzarella, followed by moules mariniere. We added the bread board, and a side order of chips.
The prawn cocktail was good, with some lovely flavours in the Marie Rose sauce. The smoked salmon ‘main’ was what you’d expect anywhere. The bread board was very disappointing. We had expected a selection of breads, perhaps rolls, and probably warmed slightly; what we got was four thick slices of sourdough bread which was dry, though the butter, with lemon and thyme, was lovely. My wife’s salad starter was good, but the mussels were a disaster – they had not been cleaned properly, several were very gritty, and others had their beards still attached. The side order of chips was the smallest ever. I had an apple juice, my wife two tonic waters, plus a bottle of still water.
Throughout the meal we felt pressurised, so the meal was not relaxing. The whole event was finished in just over three quarters of an hour, only extended by dawdling over coffee. Since the restaurant was empty the rush was not because the table was needed for other customers.
The bill took some sorting too; my wife noticed that the salmon had not been charged, so gently pointed this out. The waitress, without thanking us for our honesty, went off to adjust the amount; the new bill included the salmon but the service charge had doubled. She went off again, and credited the £13 service charge, finally producing a new (third) bill of £72, so with a cash tip of £7 (the service was briskly efficient) the total was £79 – for a light lunch, in a deserted restaurant, with no atmosphere, having food that was in part of very poor quality, some of which were not first or even second choice, is totally unacceptable for a restaurant claiming to be outstanding.
We came home and cancelled the booking for dinner for four in March. We then read Trip Advisor, and found lots of negative comments, and a rating of 22 out of 29 restaurants in Salcombe. We will not be back, sadly.

2  Thank PhilandJudith

Reviewed November 23, 2016

Amazing! I went to the restaurant a lot of time as I visit Salcombe in the same house each Christmas and sometimes Summer. It amazing! Food is flawless and drinks are fantastic!

1  Thank freddiemgreen
Reviewed November 15, 2016 via mobile

Enjoyed a fantastic dinner at the Beachside restaurant at the South South Sands Hotell. Needed to book a taxi as we were staying right in Salcombe but it's not expensive. The interior of hotel and restaurant is fresh and modern, wish we could have eaten outdoors but too cold. I had scallops to start- small scallops but delicious flavour. For main I had monkfish with sautéed cabbage and some purée- was amazing. Waiter recommended the wine to go with the fish- perfect choice and also the smashed seaweed potatoes- again incredible choice. Perfect portions not too much, not to little I didn't feel too full. Which allowed room for dessert- Pumpkin brûlée and chantilly creme. It was incredible. My partner had the cheese plate (for dessert) that included a wonderful chutney alongside perfect cheeses! Wanted the port that went with that cheese but didn't need more was perfectly satisfied. Overall quality of food and dishes was of a high standard, more expensive than anywhere else we dined but totally worth it! Loved the artwork dotted around the premises and the bathroom too!

Prior to our meal we sat in the very comfy seats by the bar and had some cocktails. Attentive and knowledgable bar staff and overall very friendly and happy service. We needed to take a cab back to Salcombe and though had plenty of taxi numbers, we ended up having the porter from the hotel take us to our cottage as just couldn't get any taxis. Best to book way in advance! However, this just has proved how wonderful the customer service is at South Sands Hotel. We shall go back next time we are in the area.

Reviewed November 14, 2016

When I visit Salcombe, this beach and cafe are pretty much on my doorstep. A lovely restaraunt, with a lovely view, of the sandy, clean, blue-watered Beach! The food and drink are truly incredible - one of the best meels, I have ever tasted! I would highly recommend it here!

1  Thank 256ollie
Reviewed September 27, 2016 via mobile

Went to this restaurant yesterday and i cant think of enough words to do it justice. It blew us away. Absolutely fantastic. Yes its expensive but in out opinion it is well worth it. We will definately be back :)