“5 star??”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I really, really want to like South Sands Hotel-but it's just not happening for me.
This was my second visit in a couple of years, & I remain completely underwhelmed. Invited out for Sunday lunch, pre lunch drinks were good - a really nicely made G&T, but for me that was pretty much the highlight. Bread was v good. The starters were just ok, nothing ravishingly special. Main courses of Beef & Pork, were nice but had the plates been hotter it would have been nicer. Horseradish was outstandingly good! Puds were v well presented, & again ok taste wise but not overly wonderful. For me-not 5 star wow!
Coffee was foul! Espresso was bitter, bitter, bitter! Cappuccino was sugared, cool & ghastly!
Service was poor & disinterested-the dessert menu was given to my friend in front of his wife's face whilst the waitress looked the other way! When taking my jacket to a stand at reception not one of the 2 girls on reception so much as raised an eyebrow in recognition.
For an expensive 5 star hotel I expect more-much, much more!

There are newer reviews for Beachside Restaurant

Reviewed March 23, 2013

The hotel is light and contemporary in style with a wonderful dining space over looking the beach. And sitting on the terrace over looking South Sands is a real pleasure - especially with a glass of wine, a sandwich and the sun shining.
Service was a little slow but friendly. If only the prices were a little more reasonable.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were fortunate enough to have a table in the window overlooking the beach so were able to gaze out at the brave holiday makers paddling in the sea. The service is excellent, caring and friendly. We had the menu of the day with three courses and a glass each of excellent wine. The food is beautifully prepared and tasted perfect. We should eat at this restaurant more often! It was my husbands birthday but any excuse would do.

1  Thank aeb67
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We met up with family who were staying at this perfectly located hotel.
The hotel is beautifully decorated in a clean contemporary beach design. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The restaurant overlooks the beach with the waves lapping at the decking area beyond the French style windows. We enjoyed an absolutely perfect meal!
Definitely a must if you stay or visit the area.

Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We made our booking quite late in the day and were worried that getting in so easily may not have bode well.

The bar is very small and so was my wife's Margareta! Other drinks fine except for the irritating wine list which is muddled and in places gives details of the staffs favourites! Who care? Self indulgent twaddle.

Service was very good, the staff pleasant and the food very good. Quite why you would serve meat on a dubious wooden board is a mistery when a proper plate is required.

Puddings were nice and overall a much better experience than many previous visits!

Not cheap, especially some of the fish, quite how a mackerel could be worth £15 is probably one for another day.

Well worth a visit if you can ignor some minor irritations.