“Disappointing”

Ranked #2 of 2 Coffee & Tea in Salcombe
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We recently visited here with some friends having said it was a nice place to eat, we ordered breakfast and sat at a table by the window, where we were plagued by wasps, after some time the waitress came over and cleared the dirty plates etc and gave the table a quick wipe over as if she didn't really want to be their, when our breakfasts arrived they very poor, the bacon was barely cooked and when I cut into the sausage it filed my plate with water, not very nice! The rest of it wasn't up to much either.
I over heard the women behind saying " this place has definitely gone down hill, it must have been taken over by someone else".
It was dirty and run down looking, and could do with a good clean and freshening up. A smile with the service goes along way too, but this doesn't exist.
All in all very disappointing and embarrassing, as we'd recommended it to our friends who like there good food.
Really gone down hill from when we visited several years ago, won't go there again !!!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

A trip to Salcombe always involves brunch on the terrace overlooking the yachts. Hidden at the back of the clothes shop Crew, serving excellent coffees, cakes and more substantial meals. Love it.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

The wardroom has 2 problems i feel. Firstly although they advertise to open at 9am weekdays and 10.am sundays, it is rarely the case that they are open by these times, usually 15 minutes later. Secondly it is very noisy inside the cafe, and conversation is usually at a high pitched level. If you manage to get a seat on the "deck" outside it is better and the view is fantastic, however a lot of chairs are squeezed into a small space, so you are constantly moving around to alllow people back and forth. Worth a visit for breakfast if you can sit outside and the weather is good

Reviewed August 4, 2013

I haven't been here for quite a while and there's a new owner, Julia, she's charming, funny and diligent, cleaning tables constantly, which I like as there's so many places where I sit and snack between others crumbs and coffee spills. We had a couple of light meals, mine was bubble and squeak, with asparagus and a poached egg and it was delicious. The coffee was good, and as I live fairly locally it'll be back on my agenda as one of my favourites. Also, as they're planning to sort out the cover over the al fresco section it should become more wet friendly.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have been going there for years for lunch or cream tea, in the last 2 years it has drasticly come downhill, the prices have soared yet the food hasn't changed! We used to come everyday on our several trips to salcombe each year, we barely come once a trip now.