“Lovely pub, but........................”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Visited the King Arms many times, we have now come to the conclusion, it's great for a drink, especially if you are lucky enough to sit in the front bar with the lovely fire roaring away and listen to the interesting conversations which take place! Please don't get this review wrong, the staff are lovely, but, we did eat there last Saturday and we weren't very impressed. Hey ho, maybe this lovely pub should remain as a great local pub where you pop in, have a drink (or two!), a bag of nuts and it should forget about trying to compete with other eateries in Salcombe. Fantastic terrace to sit and enjoy estuary views, personally, I think it should go back to basics and there's nothing wrong with having a lovely pub to visit and enjoy a few beers without trying to be a restaurant.

1  Thank OxfordshireDolly

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Tried the Kings Arms after a few years again as menu looked good and pub was quite busy. The bar has had a decent refurb and there was a good selection of lager and beers. The food was fairly basic pub fare and there wasn't that much of it considering the pricing and the competition nearby. To sum up I'd only go here again if I couldn't get a table at one of the other rpubs in town as they are better.

1  Thank disco123
Reviewed September 22, 2012

They serve very good food here. You can eat outside in two different places, or inside if the weather is inclement. good service and interesting items on menu. I had Whitebait as a main course with fries and my husband had the fish pie. Both were excellent.

1  Thank jeanlyon
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Great place for lunch. We had the lunch on the outside terrace in lovely warm sunshine. You cam see the busy harbour and town center from there. Delicious cod with sweet chilli sauce and very tasty bread and salad. Nice pint of beer too But not cheap for pub food. But is Salcombe eh. Ricardo

Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband had the fish pie, which he liked very much. I had the curried vegetable pie, which was a veggie option I've not been offered before so made a nice change. It was well cooked, by which I mean the veg was not overcooked, and the pastry was light and crispy. The sauce was very creamy and not exactly curry in the Indian sense, but still tasted OK. The chips were a bit crisper than I would normally like, but overall a good meal, and good value for money. We arrived quite late on in the lunch service and they'd run out of a few things on the menu, but we were happy with what was left.