Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Very Good 4/5
Soar Mill Cove Hotel(Malborough)
Very Good 4/5
The Cottage Hotel(Hope Cove)
  • Beachfront
Lantern Lodge(Hope Cove)
Thurlestone Hotel(Thurlestone)
Henley Hotel(Bigbury-on-Sea)
Excellent 5/5
Hazelwood House(Loddiswell)
Very Good 4/5
Burgh Island Hotel(Burgh Island)
1,253 results
All reviewsestuary viewcomplimentary gin and sherrylighting systemwelcome drinkon arrivalcinema roomwhite company toiletrieslovely hotellittle touchescar parksteam roomcrabcoffee machinestunning locationbeautiful roomout of seasonrelaxing stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The hotel has just been refurbished and is now full of gimmicky gadgets that don't work (like the highly complex room lighting systems), but they seem to have missed the essential modern hotel luxuries of air con (or any climate control) & in-room wifi. Maid service is basic at best - and don't expect your mini bar to be refilled! The restaurant manager was very good but the rest of the service was dire - 50 minute wait for breakfast and about the same for dinner.

Don't consider this hotel if you are travelling with children of any age, they are definitely not welcome (no matter how well behaved). Swimming times are restricted to 8:30-10am & 5:30-7pm (great if it's a rainy day!), there's a small cinema - with no kids films, no kids menu and our booking requests about rooms/beds were totally ignored. And they 'don't do' extra beds for children...

If you do visit, double check your bill, we were overcharged £160 ('oops, our systems don't acknowledge the Booking.com rates) and the food bill for the restaurant (£140 for two) was only £10 overcharged but bore no resemblance to our actual check!

It is ridiculously overpriced, and as a result full of extremely arrogant 'nouveau riche', who seem to overlook the fact that there are other guests to consider when revving their Ferrari engines and partying outside your bedroom door at midnight.

On the plus side, the view is good - but then I guess it was before the refurb too! And for £1300 for two nights I expected rather more.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank Annat9816
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

I am so sorry that you experience was far from acceptable and I would very much like to be able to look into this further. Please can I ask that you email me personally on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk so that I can gather all of the details to be able to fully address your complaints and concerns. I very much hope to hear from you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

This was once a great hotel, then it was refurbished and now the beautiful views from the dining room/bars has gone, and so has the wonderful food they used to sell here. We had a room where the lighting system was useless, the toilet door didn't fit, you had to use an ipad to get any room service and also find out anything about the hotel, as there is no information in the room. It was all very disappointing. I thought that this hotel, which is in a very prestigious spot in Salcombe was going to be excellent. But, unfortunately it is not.I

Room Tip: Get a room that does not overlook the back of the hotel, or you will have to have the light on all the time.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank patsy87

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel here on this site, we welcome all feedback and I am so sorry that your experience was far from what you were looking for and that the aspects of the hotel were not to your liking. I do hope that you will visit us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Food was good. Service lacked direction. What annoyed me was that the set menu of £24.95 which is listed on the hotels website without caveats was not available. When I emailed to complain the receptionist could not see that it was a problem. Restaurants from the South Sands to Le Gavroche all list on their websites if menus are only available at certain times.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jane B

Thank you for raising your concerns here on this site, I am so sorry that you encountered this issue and indeed these menus should have been removed from our website. I have raised this with our Marking Department as we certainly don't want to mislead our guests in anyway. We have recently changed the format of our menus and offer an A la Carte Menu and a "Catch of the Day" menu, I do hope that you will visit the hotel again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

On the plus side - a very nice hotel and a great addition to Salcombe. Unfortunately, they made a complete hash of my booking of three twin rooms, with only one available on arrival. This was rectified with substitute rooms, but on check out the billing was chaotic. In the end, they charged an additional £338 to my card a few hours after I had left without my knowledge and having assured me on check out that all was fully paid. After three days I am still trying to get this resolved. Breakfast is advertised to start at 0730, but on Sunday the staff only started setting up at 0745 meaning we missed breakfast as we had to leave by 0800. All in all a disappointing visit for what should be a fantastic hotel, and I'm still trying to resolve the billing errors.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Christopher P

I am so sorry for the issues you encountered with regards to the room allocation and the billing errors, I have looked into this and I understand that all has been resolved, if for any reason this is not the case or indeed it has not been resolved to your satisfaction then please contact me personally on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk as this is certainly not the lasting impression we would wish our guests to have of the hotel or the service received. I do sincerely hope that you will visit us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

What a place, what a view and some small details which just make the difference. Salcombe needs this place, South Sands raised the bar but looking at the reviews they have started to slip.

The rooms are fantastic, especially the estuary view we had, nice touches throughout with the drinks and basket of items to view the estuary whilst sat outside just show this hotel wants to go the extra mile.

The Spa is of a very high quality, although there were some issues with the Jacuzzi hopefully these have been resolved. The gym albeit small, is more than adequate for this size hotel and contained very up to date equipment.

The restaurant and service was excellent although it did feel that it was still gathering pace in terms of service quality but ALL of the staff were extremely friendly.

The cinema room is a very nice touch and although we didn't use it, it was always being used by those of all ages.

We did have some billing issues which weren't correct but sometimes 'it is not what the problem is but how it is resolved' and the hotel went out of their way to correct it and in my opinion this is what counts.

This hotel is not cheap, but it is worth it and I am confident the minor issues will be mitigated through experience as the hotel matures.

Would I go back again - I am already looking for a date to return

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank onthepiste

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, we very much welcome all feedback and I am so sorry that you encountered some issues with billing at Reception, although I am pleased it was dealt with to your satisfaction. I do hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.