“Almost perfect!”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Salcombe
rugby
“Almost perfect!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

This place has such fantastic potential. First visit for lunch was terrific. Amazing food, good pricing, lovely atmosphere, flawless service. In fact service was first class. Second trip - cracking time. Another lovely trip, cinema a treat, staff fantastic, food phenomenal. Spa day with friend - so close but yet so far somehow. I had a fantastic treatment but the pool was freezing and the pebble room not working, and builders walking up and down outside by the pool window spoiled the ambience. Friends treatment was spoiled by power cut and on asking they were 'ok' about knocking some money off but here's the thing - I shouldn't have had to have asked, twice - it was awkward and a bit uncomfortable. So the spa experience was £100 begrudgingly spent for me and a decent deal for my friend so that was good. Were going to book a few nights to have another go - undecided right now. Huge potential but doubtless some teething problems to eradicate first.

Stayed January 2014
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate all feedback. Whilst I am extremely pleased that your previous visits to the hotel were indeed very good but I am of course disappointed with the embarrassing situation in the Spa, I have discussed this with our Spa Manager and we are reviewing our systems in this new area of the hotel. With regards to the pool temperature, there have been a couple of "teething" problems in the Spa which have now been address and the Pebble Room will come online shortly. I sincerely hope that you do come to visit the hotel again in the future and if I can be of any further assistant please don't hesitate to contact me personally jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed here early December when our original plans for the weekend fell through. Having stayed here before the recent refurbishment, the first thing you can say is the bedrooms have improved a great deal. One niggle was that the lighting controls in our room were a bit finicky, but one of the many nice touches was the rooms Nexus 7 tablet for checking out hotel info, or just browsing through the papers. The view from the balcony was as breathtaking as ever, the decking on the balcony does get kind of spongy, a floating feeling when you walk out on to it immediately after rain. This is because the rain from the roof drains directly onto the upper balconies and under the decking, you would guess this would have cost to much to redesign and remedy in the latest refurb.
The second thing to say, is the service was excellent throughout the hotel and the food in the hotel was first class, we would agree with a previous reviewer that the breakfast buffet table was a tad limited. The restaurant has lost a lot of its wow factor due to the prime waterfront development taking away its immediate shoreline view. We did also notice that the bottom 1 meter of glass to the restaurant windows was obscured, whether this was a temporary measure to screen the construction site, or a permanent one to give privacy to the new luxury development occupiers, I don't know. If it was the later it will take away any remaining wow factor of what was a truly lovely place to eat indoor, or alfresco with panoramic views of the estuary.
In summery the refurbishment is very good, but the new development has taken something away from the hotel, but I suppose one paid for the other.

Shaun & Diane

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind words and it is always great to hear that our returning guests like what we have done with the hotel. The covering on the windows in the restaurant will indeed be removed as soon as the exterior works are complete and we are able to make use of the wonderful outside areas we will have available to us. I sincerely hope that we are able to welcome you back again very soon, since your visit the Spa is now open and I hope this is an area that you will enjoy as well.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Sunday lunch for three. We all voted this as the best Sunday lunch we had eaten in Devon. And we have regularly eaten in Salcombe and the surrounding Villages. Starters, two cauliflower and white onion soup with parsnips crisps ,and Brixham mussels and clams. roast beef and all the trimmings for the three of us. Ask for the beef to be rare it came nicely pink and very tasty which made up for the fact that it was bloody enough for my husband. I was unable to eat all of my four roast potatoes and Yorkshire pudding. But only because the plate was so full of perfectly cooked carrots, broccoli, plus a side dish of red cabbage and purée swede. Our daughter seemed to find the pudding menu irresistible , and the chocolate fondant didn't disappoint, we all wanted a little taste but it was not on her plate for very long and I only got the left over strawberries .
I have visited the Harbour hotel several times over the last three months each time for something different supper for two, after tea with my daughter and now a family Sunday lunch. The harbour hotel is making small steps towards being a great hotel and restaurant something that has been missing in Salcombe. My daughter and I are planning our next visit and this will include a visit to the newly opened spa. If they could add a mother and daughter day to their list of treatment days this would go down brilliant.

Room Tip: This hotel is still a building site but well worth a visit
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
jasonparry55, General Manager at Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2014
Thank you for your kind words and I know that the team here will be motivated by your praise indeed. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and hope to see you again in the very near future. I will be discussing "Mother and Daughter Spa Days" with our Spa Manager very soon, so watch this space.
Coleford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013

No reading lamp in the bedroom or on the desk. Mirrors in the bathroom so far away very difficult to see to shave or make-up. No grab rail in the shower. Difficult tea/coffee making facilities in the room. Balcony awash and workmen a few feet below me waving to me on the balcony from an apartment on the hotel's building site. The hotel's sea frontage is been developed into apartment/town houses by the hotel owners.

The Jetty restaurant had no view, the curtains were closed the whole time so that the building works were obscured. We may as well have been in a dungeon. Not at all what we expected. The lighting in the evening was depressing. The atmosphere was dreadful with no Christmas spirit.

Christmas lunch was cold, the bread rolls so hard they would have blackened your eye if thrown. The set menu for the Christmas package was the same every night, the meat option was always turkey, the only meat option for Christmas lunch was, you have guessed it, turkey. A starter portion was reduced to a quarter of the night before. The included breakfast was a full English or continental (no continental meats or cheeses). Anything else you paid extra for despite guests paying between £1500 and £2000 for the four night stay.

Yes, there was gin in the bedroom, but one paid over the odds for a spit to drink it with.

I told the General Manager that there was no Christmas spirit and that they had been so keen to get the spa open they had forgotten about their guest.

Would we stay here again, ' NO'. Would we recommend it to others 'NO'. In the summer, it is difficult to know what outside space there is for guests as it would appear they have developed it all.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank SUSAN H
Thank you for your review, as I said to you when we spoke during your stay, we really do appreciate the feedback and I am so sorry we were not able to address many of the points you raised to me. I am of course more than happy to discuss this further should you so wish on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk. Finally I hope that you will reconsider and visit the hotel again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This hotel has the potential to be great but sadly is a long way from being so at this point in time. The staff are all very friendly and pleasant, if somewhat clueless in the running of the hotel and general hospitality.

We found the food in the Jetty restaurant to be distinctly average over our 3 night stay with vegetarian dishes tasting considerably better than the meat/fish alternative. The continental breakfast buffet was limited, though displayed nicely. Shame that the view from the dining room is obscured by curtains, as the location is great with beautiful views from the bedroom balconies.

Housekeeping was terrible with beds not made properly, dirty towels not removed and general dust in the bathroom. Beds are very comfortable and the decor throughout the hotel is lovely.

Small cinema room with daily screenings is a lovely touch but shame about the damp smell.

I would recommend waiting another 6 months for the hotel to find it's feet before booking in here.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank caroline g
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and following on from our conversation at the end of your stay with us, your feedback is really important and I can assure you that many of the points mentioned have already been addressed and I thank you for bringing them to my personal attention. I sincerely hope that you do visit us again in the not too distant future in order for you to see first-hand the improvements made.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel over Christmas 2013. First of all the staff at the hotel are first class, Jo on reception was as welcoming as you could hope for and Sara ..... a more infectious laugh you'll never hear this side of Bangor ! The food was excellent we didn't meet the chefs but they are to be congratulated. Our room was super - free gin and sherry and ice and sliced lemon delivered nightly !

There is a slight sense the hotel isn't being driven, we appreciate it's early days but :

The set menu the same every night.

Lights not working in the steam room

A freezing pool

No mirrors in the changing room

No shampoo holder in the shower

Rubble and glass covering the staircase to the main road

And a Santa who tipped up 45 minutes late and with a flashers appearance.

Are all small things that should have been fixed especially after we mentioned them.

That said with a a bit of effort we have no doubt the Hotel will be in full flow by Easter - we wouldn't suggest you stay here until they can guarantee the Hotel is finished off ie blinds down in the dining room and scaffolding down.

Outside of the hotel the following are must see visits :

Cranches the sweet shop run by the Queen of Salcombe Suzanne

The Winking Prawn at North Sands

The Crabshell at Kingsbridge

This hotel deserves every success - good luck

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
i would like to take this opportunity to thank your for your honest review of the hotel here on this site, all feedback is really important to us. It is lovely to hear that the staff very professional and that certain members of the team made a lasting impression. Unfortunately the Spa was completed very much "just in time" by our third party contractors just as our Christmas guests arrived and a number of items were not fully completed. I agree that this is disappointing and I apologise for this shortcomings, we are working our way through these aspects and everything will be in order very shortly. I can assure you that we are working flat out here to get everything up to the correct standard as a matter of urgency and I very much hope to see you again soon.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Today was our first visit to the Harbour hotel and our expectations were high having watched the development and reading many positive reviews on Trip Advisor. This review is based on our visit today, Boxing day: to the bar.

We entered the hotel from the road using the yet to be improved stairs. What we didnt expect was to be confronted by a pile of builder's debris which quite simply should not have been there. Not a great first impression. The reception area made up for this, it was bright, clean, warm and welcoming: the staff friendly and acknowledged our arrival. We went to the lounge area for some wine, coffee and children's hot chocolates. The greeting was adequate but lacked warmth. The lounge area was a little claustophobic and the atmosphere could have been better. We didn't feel as if we wanted to stay any longer than the time it took to consume our beverages which were 'standard'. The espresso however was poor with no crema whatsoever.

I took my 3 year old to the toilet, which themselves were finished to a good standard and had White Company toiletries. There was a little faeces on the seat for which I should have complained but didn't, perhaps toilet checks arent being carried out often enough. I returned to our table and decided to pay and leave. I paid a reasonable bill of approx £15 but wasn't asked how my experience had been, if given the opportunity, I would have given my critique.

My opinion is that whilst the hotel looks good and will improve more when the building works are complete its sadly not quite there yet in terms of service, ambience and quality. The attitude towards children was not as positive as it should have been and whilst not in any way offensive was sufficient for me not to want to return.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Spoursy
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on Boxing Day and I am so sorry that you did not receive our usual level of service. There is no excuse for this and although the area was very busy the service should not have dipped at any stage and if you would like to discuss this further then please contact me on jason.parry@harbourhotels.co.uk. I do hope that you will visit us again at some stage in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salcombe
Soar Mill Cove Hotel
Lantern Lodge
Lantern Lodge
#3 of 4 in Hope Cove
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa

Been to Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!