“Peter Tavy meals”
Review of Peter Tavy Inn

Peter Tavy Inn
Ranked #3 of 68 Restaurants in Tavistock
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This inn is one of the most pleasant in the area. I go there more often than to other places. The food is enjoyable and not fussy. BUT, though the reception is friendly neither my name nor my face has ever been recognised and, as with most pubs, the food costs just enough to stop me going more frequently. A greeting of 'Nice to see you again' would work wonders. The beer was good and the 'English' curry perfectly adequate, but £11 for half a pint and the curry is about 50% more than it should be. But loads of people are happy to fill the pub.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We went to the Peter Tavy Inn last weekend after not visiting for quite a while. When we arrived they had no record of the booking I had made a few days earlier. Fortunately there were still tables available and the problem was speedily resolved. I say fortunately because we were there to celebrate a family birthday and we had to drive for over an hour to get there from our cottage on the other side of Plymouth.

Our starters were very good - my duo of trout and salmon was beautifully presented and was very tasty. Three in our party had sirloin steak for the main course and they all said that it was medium rare as they had requested and quite delicious. I chose the duo of pork in honey and mustard sauce. This consisted of pork tenderloin and a piece of belly pork. The tenderloin was excellent as you might expect - the belly pork had crispy crackling and was quite good but as with this cut parts of it were quite tough. My only criticism is that the sauce was too sweet and I would have liked it to be a little heavier on the mustard element but that is purely personal choice. In hindsight I should have asked for the sauce to be served separately. My course came with a separate serving of saute potatoes and a serving of broccoli, red cabbage and carrots which I thought was an excellent combination. The food was hot and well presented.

The reason for the four stars (apart from the booking mix up) is that at no time during the meal were we asked if we were happy with the food and most restaurants do come and check that. As we left I said thank you as I always do to an older man who I think was the manager and received no reply. We enjoyed the evening - excellent food - but something was missing and I think that was down to the management who could have been more welcoming.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We had a thoroughly lovely mid week meal at The Peter Tavy Inn. The menu was very tempting and the food delicious. The wine list was pretty good too. We visited on an early October evening and a fire was roaring which gave a lovely welcoming feel to the place. Would thoroughly recommend.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Friendly welcoming pub good for lunch, dinner or just a quick tipple. Good selection of ales, and wines. Beer & cider take out available. Well behaved dogs and children welcome. Favourite watering hole for cyclists and walkers - stone floors throughout!

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Dined here last night which was a welcome return visit. Have been hoping all summer that we could dine in the delightful garden but weather was not permitting. However the restaurant is welcoming with large woodburners and friendly staff in an old world atmosphere.
There is a wide range of food including a choice of vegetarian dishes. My personal favourite dish is the sizzling Mexican fajitas. Tasty beef beef strips and veg on a hot skillet with tortilla wraps. A great fun dish and here they use quality ingredients.
Puddings are also tempting and a good variety and all this is nicely washed down by good local ale. Dartmoor Brewery of Princetown makes my favourite - Jail ale- which is a good hoppy beer.
Prices are realistic mid range and good value for the standard. Lunchtimes there is a cheaper range and that chance of eating in the apple orchard garden.