The Bedford Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
The Duke of Tavistock(Tavistock)
  • Breakfast included
The Horn Of Plenty(Gulworthy)
Hotel Endsleigh(Milton Abbot)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
Two Bridges Hotel(Two Bridges)
  • Pool
All reviewsjacuzzi bathsister hoteltraditional hotelfour posterno liftchristmas daylovely old hotelwedding receptionthe ground floorcomfortable hotelcentral locationgood sized car parkpublic areaspannier marketsconesdouble roomcentre of town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed at the Bedford Hotel in Tavistock on 12th to 15th March and from the moment we got there the welcome was very warm and friendly. We took our little dog with us and he was treated like a prince a goody bag in our room for him on arrival and bowls of water in the bar when we sat there.
All the staff were very efficient and any request was adhered to. Our room was warm on arrival and was very comfortable, clean well equipped and with plenty of room. We shall definetly stay there again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 191282Diane
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Chose this hotel rather than its main competitor in the town because it offered ample, secure parking. Booked a single room & stayed for five nights in early March while visiting family. Upon arrival I was given a free upgrade to a small double room (room 24), which was furnished with new solid oak furniture, a comfortable bed & pillows, plus a recently refurbished bathroom. All the staff I encountered throughout my stay were excellent in every way. The excellent breakfasts were cooked to order using local produce where possible. The centrally located hotel is good value for money, it is full of character, even down to the odd creaking floorboard. On the negative side of things all the decor throughout the public areas is starting to look a little worn. In my room there were cobwebs on the central light fitting, heavy dust on both lamp shades located on either side of the bed & mildew forming on the sealant around the edge of the bath at that end where the shower head is situated, a good Housekeeper should notice this type of small detail. But my main complaint was that there was a continual, low frequency, mechanical noise emmitting from one corner of the room nearest the bed. In that corner there appeared to be a large piece of trunking running from the floor to the ceiling which was concealing what I presume were heating/ water pipes. I did not notice the noise until I turned the lights out for my first nights sleep, fortunately I always take earplugs with me & I was able to get a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: I would imagine rooms at the rear of the building are far more quite than those at the front as the hotel is situated on the main road. Tavistock is a busy market town, the locals normally arise much earlier than most hotel guests, its a choice of peace or views in my opinion.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank r0jack
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I only stayed for one night while on business, however this hotel is perfectly located in this lovely market town. It even has its own parking which is a real plus. The staff were all friendly, helpful and welcoming. The room was clean and comfortable with a lovely and clearly recently refurbished bathroom. Breakfast in the morning was delicious and freshly cooked to order. Also excellent value for money. Check in and out was easy and dealt with efficiently. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 3, 2013

went to the bedford hotel for lunch today, starters as self service and include smoked salmon, prawns, two different terrines, chicken liver parfait, olives, sundried tomato and cheese, eggs, couscous green salad, small bruschetta with goats cheese and different toppings, everything we tried was lovely. then you had a choice of 4 mains, including beef, pork fish and vegetarian risotto. the gravies were very tasty, the veg portions were slightly smaller than i like, but so tasty and as you are having three courses adequate. choice of deserts. all of the food was very good quality and very good value at £19.95 per head. We ate at the two bridges last week and have done numerous times in the past, but now have a new favourite at the bedford.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrcooljanny
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Reviewed this back in May 2012 when I stopped for one night on business... I have subsequently been using this hotel for business trips and have stayed here 3 or 4 times since and I will continue to do so. The hotel offers good value for money and is in a great location for wandering around Tavistock and exploring Dartmoor.
The greatest credit to this hotel is its staff - an absolute pleasure to deal with. I have always been greeted with a warm welcome and nothing is ever to much trouble. As long as this attitude continues then the Bedford will continue to succeed - its a real gem. See you all soon!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Simon_Rowe, Manager at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

I'd like to thank you for your kind words regarding your stay. We try to make sure our guests staying for a short stay receive the same excellent service that the guests who are staying for a leisurely break receive.
We are looking into ways of providing even more services to our business customers and have recently extended our menus to provide you with a varied selection of meals. In addition we have updated our online booking systems so you can book your stay on any sized device with ease!
Please feel free to contact the reception team who can also add you to our monthly special offers.
Kindest Regards