“Lovely food!!”

The East Gate Cafe & Brasserie
Ranked #9 of 69 Restaurants in Tavistock
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A contemporary restaurant in the centre of Tavistock idyllically situated next to the river. The restaurant is light and modern inside and has outside seating on the riverside terrace. Open all day, everyday serving the full menu all day.
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We came here a couple days after mothers day for lunch out. We came from plymouth so my sister phoned before to book and was told that there was a good car park to use which was cheaper than some others we could've gone to, plus it gave us a nice walk down the river. We appreciated that because we didn't know where to go and it was nice to have the little walk down the river.
We arrived and we were seated quickly. We had a young guy who sorted our food and drinks for us (sorry can't remember his name!) and he was really nice and polite. We all ordered baguettes which were amazing and mocha coffees to warm us up, which were also lovely! We had desserts after and they were all really good. I don't understand how people can be so harsh about the artwork... we thought it was actually quite nice, and it suited the room. Overall... nice. If we are in Tavistock again at some point, I'm sure we will pop back in for lunch.

Karen854, Owner at The East Gate Cafe & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We were really pleased to see that you had enjoyed your visit to EastGate and that you would come again. We very much appreciate you taking the time to post your review on trip advisor.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is the third time in 3 years that I have visited this cafe, probably because there's not really anywhere else to go in Tavistock.
I am wheat and dairy free and usually everywhere I go is accomodating. The menu says they are happy to discuss dietary requirements. No they aren't. Last time I had the mussels without cream this time I was told the mussels came automatically in cream. So I had the ham, eggs and peas instead. Bad move. Ham tasted as if it was out of date yesterday, egg white was raw and pound of peas had had all the taste boild out of them.
My partner had the homemade burger and said it was very tasty though.
We wondered why we were able to sit at a table by the window. It wasn't a window it was a door that men had to use to go outside to the toilet!
Women could go inside but there is only one toilet, so mega queues!
Drinks are served as soon as you order them so by time food arrives you have either drunk it or it has gone cold!
At least this time we were quicker being served. Usually you have to wait 15mins for your order to be taken.
Please remind me not to go again!

Karen854, Owner at The East Gate Cafe & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

We were very disappointed to read your review. We do try very hard to accommodate special dietary requirements and are sorry that, unusually, on this occasion our mussels were not suitable for your diary allergy. However there are many items on our menu that would have been suitable. Obviously you were not happy with your ham, egg and peas but really wish that you had mentioned this at the time and given us the opportunity to do something about it. The last thing we want is customers going away unhappy, and always try to check if you are enjoying your meal so we can take action if you are not. You are quite right that we do bring the drinks as soon as they are ready because this is what our customers expect, but, of course, if you had just said that you didn't want them until your food arrived we would not have made or bought them until then. We do have two window tables (actually our most popular) that are either side of the door to our patio (and men's toilet - unfortunately the layout of the building makes it virtually impossible to have two toilets inside) but, there are 18 other tables within the restaurant and we would have been more than happy to move you to any vacant one of these had you only let us know you were unhappy. We do care very much that our customers enjoy their visit and are very sorry that you did not.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Visited with my Sister and wheelchair bound Mum on a Sunday afternoon. Access for her was really good from the side entrance. We were met by smiley and helpful staff, who guided us to a nice roomy table. The atmosphere is really pleasant and friendly inside, and decor rather elegant with very comfortable seating.

We chose from a nice selection of keenly priced specials from the chalk boards. I plumped for a Leak and Pork pie which came with roast potatoes and veg, my Sister had Cod and chips and Mum went for a Steak and Kidney pie, chips and peas. All 3 mains were well presented, perfectly cooked and good portions to boot, and most importantly delicious. Deserts were also a triumph. I had a simply divine bread and butter pudding and my fellow diners both choosing the naughty but very very nice Sticky Toffee pudding.

The waiting staff throughout performed impeccably. Skillfully guaging the right level of attentiveness, without ever encroaching or interrupting our conversation, and adding to a really exceptional lunchtime dining experience.

I look forward to returning soon and will recommend to one and all.

Karen854, Owner at The East Gate Cafe & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your review. Everyone at EastGate was delighted that you had enjoyed your visit and that you had taken the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We do care very much what our customers think of their experience at EastGate and were so thrilled that you seem to have enjoyed what we do. Thank you again for your review, it really does mean a lot to us.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Great exterior and outside eating area besides the River Tavy. Good extensive menu and usually great service from cheerful attendants (unless they're rushed off their feet). Tired decor. This place could be so much better with a dash of imagination.

Karen854, Owner at The East Gate Cafe & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Thank you for your review. We were so pleased to read that you usually get great service and that you enjoy our extensive menu, especially when you can sit on our outside terrace by the river. We are really hoping for a long hot summer this year so every one can sit out there! I am disappointed you find our decor tired but I have taken on board your comments.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We've never eaten a meal here but have stopped in for coffee on several occasions. Service can be a little slow at times but overall it’s a nice place for coffee and a slice of homemade cake (of which there is a very good selection). In the summer there is nice seating outside next to the river.

Thank you for your review. We were pleased to read that you enjoy our coffee and homemade cakes. I'm sure our chefs will be pleased to read this as they put a great deal of pride into their baking. Thank you for bringing to my attention that you find our service a little slow at times, this is something that has never come to light before, but I will bring your comments to the attention of our team as we do pride ourselves, above everything, on the level of service we give.