“Good lunch”

The East Gate Cafe & Brasserie
Ranked #9 of 69 Restaurants in Tavistock
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A contemporary restaurant in the centre of Tavistock idyllically situated next to the river. The restaurant is light and modern inside and has outside seating on the riverside terrace. Open all day, everyday serving the full menu all day.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Have been to the Eastgate a few times and the welcome is always warm, however once seated it generally takes around 5 minutes for them to take a drinks order by which time we are ready to order food as well - I think the staff like to do it together so that they are not away from the bar for too long and missing out on gossip. The food has always been good except for the paninis which aren't griddled like I'm used to elsewhere, generally the quality and price is very good. The decor inside is not to my taste - large print wallpaper and canvases which I assume are made by a local child, though what a small child would do with the amount of money being asked for is beyond me, I would prefer to see old pictures of Tavistock.
The thing that really gets me though is the lack of service once food has been delivered, no check backs are ever done which hasn't been a problem with the food side 'cos as I said it's good but I don't want to have to get up while I'm eating to order second drinks. Above the kitchen door it says "through these doors walk the best staff in Tavistock" which is like saying you're the bravest man in France - it's not hard. Self praise is no praise. I would recommend it however as they are the best of a very bad bunch when it comes to eating out for lunch in Tavistock.

Karen854, Owner at The East Gate Cafe & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you so much for review - I must say it made me smile - although I am not sure this was your intention! First the positives - I am so pleased that you feel that we give a warm welcome and that generally our food is good quality and good value for money. I am, of course, disappointed to read that we are not taking your drinks order quickly enough and that you are not being checked on once you have had your food. I honestly believed we had a rigorous system in place that all our staff were adhering to ensure that all customers were checked on after their food had been delivered and find it very interesting that this has not been your experience. I will certainly mention this to our staff in addition to the impression they are giving you when they are at the bar! As for the paintings I will just have to hope the lovely Sue Wills from The Barbican has not seen your comments but thank you again for taking the time to post them.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Have visited Tavistock many times and always visit east gate brasserie, the staff are all young, very polite and welcoming, always with a smile, the menu is varied and top quality, especialy theire cream teas, (wicked) can recommend for service and value and cleanliness,a first class brasserie.

Karen854, Owner at The East Gate Cafe & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you so much for your really lovely review. I cannot tell you how much we appreciate hearing about it when we have got things right. We are so proud of all our staff and it is so lovely for them to get the praise I truly believe they deserve. Thank you again for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

It was a stroke of luck we decided to visit Tavistock on Goose Fair day ! Our niece had been before and suggested we have lunch at East Gate Brasserie.We had to queue for a few minutes before a table became available It was a special menu for Goose Fair Day and we chose a jacket potato with tuna,a jacket potato with chilli and I chose the all day breakfast and finished off with a toffee fudge cake.We also had tea and coffee.We were all well pleased with our meals and service and would certainly visit this place again.My wife forgot her handbag and was walking away when a member of staff came running after her with it,Thankyou very much,it would have certainly spoiled our day if we had lost that.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit to EastGate on Goose Fair Day. A big thank you to your neice for suggesting you visit us! Goose Fair is always a busy and unique day and we are so pleased you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for your very positive review. We sincerely hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Having not eaten in the East Gate for a while I was pleased to find that the service was excellent still and the food was great. The owner is a great hostess and very attentive. The menu is great and very well priced. I am so glad to have this in Tavistock!

Karen854, Owner at The East Gate Cafe & Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Thank you so much - I am blushing now!!

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I visited on Saturday with my (adult) daughter. Above the door to the kitchen is a sign indicating that the staff are excellent - and on Saturday I could wholeheartedly agree. The young man who took note of my pregnant daughter's picky menu choices was a model of patient forbearance. He really was a credit to the establishment. When our meals arrived the portion sizes were excellent and we were both very pleased with our choices. It was my first visit to Tavistock, but I shall return to both the town and to the Eastgate Brasserie.

1  Thank worthyone2

We were so pleased to read your lovely review. I have made sure that the waiter involved has seen your comments and he was delighted to read them. It really does make our day when all our efforts are appreciated. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review.