“Perfect campsite although receptionist not very welcoming!”

Langstone Manor Holiday Park & Cottages
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“Perfect campsite although receptionist not very welcoming!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I arrived in the morning and enquirer about availability and the receptionist made it clear she could have done without me. However, I persevered with my imposing of business and returned in the afternoon as instructed. We had one small 2 man tent and put up another's 1 man beach tent for one night but took that down after we charged for an extra tent (the 2 together were still a 1/5 the size of the average tent and don't you pay per pitch).

However, the rest of the staff and facilities were just perfect for Dartmoor. An old cottage converted into a big comfy lounge with a bazillions books,magazines and games makes this a great option for that dodgy Dartmoor weather. Lovely little bar and good hearty homemade food makes a really welcome change from chips, chips and chips.

And a good, fair price for Wifi was refreshing as I had to get some work done.
And I cannot speak highly enough of the toilets and showers. Lovely big showers meant this was the first campsite this summer where everything doesn't get showered on the back of the door. Nice clean indoor washing up room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jane K, Owner at Langstone Manor Holiday Park & Cottages, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thanks for your review - we are sorry you didn't receive a warm welcome - very unusual for us, so I can only apologise. We do charge by the pitch which allows one tent, caravan or motorhome and 2 people. Extras include pup tents that do incur a charge. Anyway on the whole you had a good stay and again we thank you for taking time to let us know your thoughts.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Simply a great place to stay for a fantastic family break. This small holiday park has everything that you need but in perfect peaceful surroundings.
The kids loved the play park which is overlooked by all of the holiday homes for peace of mind. The lovely bar, as well as serving great pub food is well stocked with books and games for adults and kids alike. The staff are as friendly as could be and are happy to offer tips for things to do and places to go.
Being in Dartmoor itself means that great walks, bike rides and scenery are right on your door step. And if you are lucky enough to get some clear skies then the night sky is simply outstanding.
The local town of Tavistock has plenty of independent shops, a thriving market and for the kids a fantastic swimming pool with water slide, river ride and outdoor rapids.
Unfortunately living up in the North West our opportunities to come back again are limited, but if we are ever back in Devon Langstone Manor will be top of the list.
Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jane K, Owner at Langstone Manor Holiday Park & Cottages, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thankyou very much for a great review you sound as though you had a great time and the summer weather had been kind to most holiday makers this year which is always a bonus. There is a lot to do in Devon so hopefully you'll keep us on your holiday radar!!
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Regular visitor to Langstone. Amazed over the years how the facilities have got even better. There appears to be a very good improvement plan in place. Lovely staff, very clean facilities. It attracts very considerate visitors from all over Europe which makes a stay fantastic. Camping Pods are brilliant, camping pitches well priced and serviced. Staff really are good, very helpful and accommodating.

Definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cheers for your great comments - we do our best to look after our lovely customers!!
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This place totally lives up to it's number one status! Brilliant facilities, friendly staff, great location...what more can I say! We will definately come back here again - I have my eye on a glamping pod next time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the review and very pleased we lived up to our number one position - the pods are great but make sure you book well in advance as they are very popular.
Redditch, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I cannot rate the facilities at Langstone Manor highly enough - we were a group of friends camping in a tent and the shower block and wash facilities were amongst the best I've experienced at any campsite. The location is great too - right on the moors and there are many walks and beautiful places right on the doorstep. It really is a wonderful place to be. I'd highly recommend taking a long stroll up Bellever Tor.

We did experience a customer service issue with one member of staff who was unnecessarily rude when asking us to be quiet. We completely understand the need to monitor noise levels on a campsite and would hate to think that we were disturbing other guests, especially after 11pm when the site's no-noise policy kicked in (which was also the time we went to bed ourselves each night). We didn't take issue with being asked to keep the noise levels down, but the manner in which this was done was intrusive and disrespectful - including entering our tent when someone was getting changed and constantly referring to us (in a very patronising tone) as 'girls'. I think the member of staff had already assumed we were a) younger than we were and b) going to be trouble and her attitude towards us reflected this, even threatening to chuck us off the site. I am sure she would have not spoken to an elderly couple or family in the same manner. In fact, when other campers (our two camping neighbours on either site of our tent) heard the way she had spoken to us, they came and offered us their support, assured us that we hadn't disturbed them and were willing to defend us to management if we had been kicked off the site. Three of our group work professionally with young people (as a teacher, a youth worker and myself as a company manager looking after up to three hundred young people at a time on residential courses in London) and we would not treat the young people and teenagers we work with in the same manner as we were treated - and I have done my fair share of late night patrols asking teenagers to keep the noise down!

As perhaps the quietest and meekest member of our group, this made me feel very uncomfortable on our last night and I constantly panicked. Especially as I full well know how easily voices travel outside. Had we been dealt with respect and courtesy, our stay would have been perfect. It was a shame, but I hope that this will not stop me from returning. I would strongly urge the campsite to review their customer service provision in this area - monitoring noise levels is hard and can be awkward, but there are ways to do so successfully whilst being respectful and considerate. One member of our group did raise this issue with management at the time of our stay.

Do go to Langstone Manor, enjoy the wonderful facilities and beautiful surroundings. It really is a top class campsite.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank HollyPx
Thanks for your review and great comments for Langstone Manor Park. With regards to the member of staff and noise issue - I am sorry if you felt that you were treated in a negative manner and you are right it is a difficult task to ask people to be quiet. On this occasion the member of staff was concerned as the noise levels had been loud in the bar (we live above the bar and were aware of the noise levels) and they continued in the toilet facilities and then to the camping pitches so having to mention it more than once can make asking become more of a demand. Dave did speak to a member of your party the next morning and felt that the matter had been resolved. Langstone Manor is promoted as a quiet and peaceful park and we normally mention this to groups that are booking onto the site. I hope you will return for another trip as we are a friendly bunch and do want guests to enjoy themselves!
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed for a week in a static caravan (Kings Tor), it was immaculate inside and outside. From the very beginning of our stay, the staff could not do enough for us, only when asked which was a very refreshing change, from the usual following you around and asking if your "ok" every 2 minutes. The food in the manor house was fantastic, and the real ale was VERY real, and if you stay here you must ask Lizzy how Roger is. We have already booked up for 2 weeks next year, its the sort of place that when you leave, you leave a piece of yourself behind. The youngest did his glasses. lol

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jane K, Owner at Langstone Manor Holiday Park & Cottages, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Your comments are lovely thankyou very much! There's not a lot to dislike about Langstone Manor as it does have a great location and the atmosphere on the park is down to everyone that works and stays here and when the sun shines there's nothing wrong with the world. Your sons glasses are on their way back to him! See you next year!
Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed in one of the bigger pods (Saddle Tor). Two adults and two kids. This was bought for us by a relative for Xmas! We arrived on site in the rain! Great start to our little break. We were shown to our pod and left to unpack. Very welcoming staff and overall we had a wonderful time. Staff were all very helpful and polite. Staff went above and beyond their daily duties.
Very clean, tidy, trusting holiday park, one of the best that we have stopped at.
Little did I realise, my boyfriend (as he was at the time) had already rang ahead and arranged for the staff to put flowers and a bottle of my favourite wine in the pod... such a lovely thing to do...the staff had actually put balloons, flowers, chocolates, wine and a congratulations card ready for our arrival!! I didn't understand until my boyfriend got down on one knee and proposed!!!! My boyfriend is now my fiancé!! I said YES!!! The staff had bought chocolates, extra flowers and a card as a congratulations gift for us. Not many places would do that! What a lovely thing to do. We had our photo taken with our balloons, flowers, glass of wine each and the kids... First proposal at Langstone Manor apparently!!!
Anyway, back to the review - the games room was ace, the kids loved it.. the air hockey table was our favourite, we spent a fair few quid on that! We ate the first night we were there and it was beautiful... good hearty meals served in a warm and inviting dining room... Kids loved it as there were loads and loads of toys to play with. There are even books for you to borrow. I borrowed a book thinking I'd get chance to read it over the three nights we were there - nope, not with the games room being as good as it is. I think it's so nice to have such trusting people running a holiday park. There was none of this booking the books in and out, its all very trusting..
Toilets and showers were always clean and tidy. We used the bathroom for our two young lads, clean clean clean. Very impressed. Washing up facilities were brilliant too.. there's even a coffee machine in the washing up room - it didn't work one night, money was taken no drink given, we weren't bothered about the money but told the staff so they could put a sign on and they gave us the money back. Bin areas were big and well signed. Emptied regularly and not smelly like some bin areas have been. The children's play area was really good.. our littlest lad loved the "wendy house".
Overall we would highly recommend Langstone Manor. Staff are all very friendly and genuine.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for taking time for your review - we were apprehensive (slightly) that all would go well with the proposal - so we are pleased that you said yes and that you also enjoyed your stay at Langstone Manor. Do you have a ring yet?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tavistock
Gidleigh Park
#1 of 1 in Gulworthy
Lewtrenchard Manor
Lewtrenchard Manor
#1 of 1 in Lewdown

Been to Langstone Manor Holiday Park & Cottages? Share your experiences!