“Overpriced for what you get”
Review of Browns Brasserie - CLOSED

Browns Brasserie
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Overpriced for what you get”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had a drink in here before going to our restaurant. We went to another pub beforehand and ordered the same drinks in both places. In Browns it was £4.25 more for the two drinks! You don't get the service (we were waiting quite a while and there was only one person in front of me) and it was cold in there. It was the coldest winter in 50 years and everyone was sat there with their coats on. They had two wood burners with wood in ready for lighting and when we mentioned maybe lighting them to the barman he said that the heating was on and he wasn't prepared to light the fires (this was 5pm). It would have made all the difference and more atmospheric (and cosy), who likes to sit around drinking wine with coats and scarves on and pay extra for it! When we mentioned that we didn't feel it was warm enough and that we and others still had coats on he just shrugged and didn't care less. I don't mind paying more for drinks if you get something in return but Browns had nothing to offer us so we left (and so did a few others only stayed for the one). Won't return either, there are other pubs in Tavistock where we get a "warmer" welcome, BRRRRRR!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank BeautifulBriards

london
“Great”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

A superb place to stay, looks expensive but isn't! The meal was very good quality and a good menu choice, all within pleasant surroundings.

Visited March 2013
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Browns came home......”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I cant explain my disappointment when my husbands mobility issues meant we weren't able to go out to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary. Then we were introduced to Brownsvibe so Browns came to us and it was wonderful. We had the tasting menu and were even able to select what our guests had to eat with Helena's help. Laura and Ian arrived with everything they needed in boxes and they got to work, all I had to do was sit down with my family and be treated to excellent service and mouth watering food that had been prepared in my own kitchen. Laura was attentive with us all without being over bearing serving the food and clearing dishes. The first class way we were treated has now resulted in some lovely memories for all of us and no clearing up, everything was cleared and cleaned with the efficiency seen all evening. The cost was kept to the same as if we had eaten in the restaurant with a small fee for the waitress service. I had never thought of dining this way before, however, after this superb event I will definitely be "visiting" Brownsville again to make a special occasion extra special.

• Visited March 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not Quite What it Seems”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited Browns about a month ago, and it was awful. Whether the arrogant man behind the bar on arrival, who was not to be seen again once he'd gotten his snooty coments out of the way. The less than efficient waitress, or having half your food placed on an adjacent table occupied by complete strangers, it all adds up to a pretty ordinary experience. I visited their website a few days later and submitted a complaint via their contacts page - to which I never received a response. I followed this up with a telephone call a couple of weeks later, and received a brief response via e-mail a few days later. I felt that I had simply been fobbed off, so wrote again asking to be compensated. This was duly declined, as expected, but I was appalled by the final comment from the Director who responded to me, which I have quoted in full below.

'I do hope you have happy memories of the wedding that I worked so hard to create for you and your family'.

We have absolutely wonderful memories of the fantastic job Browns did for our daughter's wedding in 2011, but perhaps didn't realise at the time that I should be forever indebted to them for doing what they were paid many thousands of pounds to do. I certainly didn't expect to have it thrown back in my face 18 months later.

3 Thank Mark B
Liskeard, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable Lunch/Coffee”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Staying in Tavistock for the weekend - had coffee and lunch at Browns - comfortable seating and setting and especially cosy with the open fire. Always enjoy the coffee and something from the luncheon menu.
Worth a visit.