“See full size engines”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bluebell Railway

Bluebell Railway
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Uckfield
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1959 and still steaming! We run steam trains between Sheffield Park and East Grinstead on over 200 days each year, and are open even when no trains are running.
Essex
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“See full size engines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

This heritage railway goes from Uckfield to East Grinstead (22 miles), and has full size steam engines. Sizes range from the 0-6-0 "Bluebell" tank engine, right up to 2-10-0 size just like the "evening star". A must for young and old trainspotters alike. £5 gives you access to the station, engine shed, cafe and the new museum on platform two. Ticket prices for the trains themselves range from £13 adult 3rd class return, up to around £30 for special trains and the 1st class experience. Trains were running every hour on bank holiday Monday, but it does advertise other trains on specific days. Park at this station as East Grinstead is a town centre car park, and therefore is pay and display.

Visited May 2013

Bedford, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“back to childhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

absolutely fantastic,coming back from a weekend break my husband surprised me with a visit to Sheffield Park. It was like going back 50 plus years when we had steam trains in our village.
The trip was lovely the embankments were covered in Primroses and a white flower whose name escaped me .There were Deer in the woods and Pheasants in the fields it was so unspoilt. The museum was so interesting and the Manager and his wife so informative. Well done to all the volunteers who run the Bluebell Line.You are doing a first class job.

2 Thank marilyn020
Poole, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

just like stepping back in time, this place is a wonderful working museum. take a ride though the countryside on a railway staffed mostly by volunteers.

1 Thank Laura H
London
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Golden arrow dining - simply fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

The Golden Arrow dining service on the Bluebell Railway is fantastic! We booked as an Anniversary treat. On arrival at Sheffield Park Station we were greeted by liveried staff in period dress. Climbing aboard the restored 1928 dining cars was like stepping back in time. The 3 course meal was great - far better than I expected to be served up on a train! Whilst enjoying the meal and sampling the reasonably priced wine list we steamed out into the Sussex countryside. A fantastic experience. One that I cannot recommend more highly and one that I am looking forward to repeating.

1 Thank dlock18788
Rolvenden, United Kingdom
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“A great family day out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

I'm a regular traveller on this railway as my two sons aged 5 & 14 enjoy the stations along the line, there is so much to see and do. At Sheffield Park you can visit the engine shed, have a good look around the shop and visit the new museum. Next stop the station has the carriage & wagon works which visitors can see, there is also a licensed bar on the platform selling good ales and other drinks. Then we are at Kingscote, now the extension is open to East Grinstead you will see most trains pass at this station, it certainly has become busy. We then took the train to East Grinstead, it was an excellent run. At East Grinstead travellers can leave the train and do their shopping at Sainsbury or take the bus into Town. Again plenty to do. Oh yes I forgot to mention the pub at Sheffield park lovely home cooked food.
*Please note* I have no connection with this railway, I just enjoy visiting it and thought I'd share my recent experience.

1 Thank Kev G