“How gloriously English”

Duddleswell Tea Rooms
Ranked #2 of 7 Coffee & Tea in Uckfield
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
West Sussex
“How gloriously English”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

In the heart of the Ashdown Forest this little gem nestles just off the roadside. Beautifully quaint and old fashioned this place just has to be sampled. Reasonable prices and lovely food. Loose tea as standard. I had the Yeoman Tea which was a cheese scone, cream cheese and home made chutney. Superb. Open log fire, polite service. After a long walk on the stunning Ashdown Forest this place is wonderful to look forward to. Does tend to get very busy in good weather.

• Visited November 2013

ridgewood, east sussex
“Lovley cakes and roaring log fire”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited today after a long walk over the forest. We have been here a couple of times and was surprised that they still do not offer any milk other than full fat (asked for skimmed or semi skimmed) asked for latte instead but they only offer filter coffee. The waitress was very apologetic and when i asked her to water down the full fat milk she did so, no problem. Choice of cakes extensive and both slices we had, carrot cake and chocolate cake, were delicious.

• Visited November 2013
Hartfield, United Kingdom
“In response to some recent bad reviews”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Cannot believe some recent reviews. One complained because the day was miserable and not many people there. Yes, at this time of the year I agree: It is cold and miserable and the crowds are not there. Notwithstanding this a small number of local customers still turn up just after opening time most days, my wife and I included. Similarly the choice of cake is reduced, but still very good. Should be heading there soon this morning for my smoke salmon and scrambled egg breakfast, but only if the rain and floods do not stop me. My point is this: if you are not bowled over by the charm of the place then Ashdown Forest is surrounded by Nero Coffee bars that are good. At Nero you join a queue at the counter to collect rather than be served. And I admit that if you get a window seat at E Grinstead you have a fantastic view, but only if a van is not parked outside. But for that little bit of old worldly charm some of us love Duddleswell Tea Rooms come rain or shine, busting at the seams or with just a few regulars. The moles love the place as well, as recent mole hills on the lawn can attest.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank westwocr
Crowborough, United Kingdom
“Not a great experience”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I visited on a dull Friday morning at about 10am, ok not prime time for a visit but I was passing and have lived in the area a while and wanted to see if the place was as any good. Oh dear I was the only person in there apart from two staff who spent the time chatting and rolling cutlery in napkins (obviously hoping for a lot of customers) There were no visible menus any where so I decided on a coffee, I was asked by the waitress if I wanted anything else but as no menu was offered or suggestions made, I had a quick look at the sorry selection of cakes and decided nothing appealed. I was actually really hungry as I had left home without breakfast and had hoped to eat something here. My coffee arrived quickly which I would have expected as I was the sole customer. The coffee was quite good but the whole experience was a bit depressing. This place could be amazing but it seemed to lack any spark of enthusiasm for what it is doing. Sorry Duddleswell tea rooms I just hope I visited you on a bad day!

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Carol A
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Great tea in the heart of Winnie the Pooh country”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

In the heart of Ashdown Forest, which incorporates 500 Acre Wood thought to be AA Milne's inspiration for Winnie the Pooh's 100 Acre Wood, is Duddleswell Tea Room on the B2026.

The perfect place to drop in for a traditional cream tea or light lunch on the way to or from the National Trust's Standen or Sheffield Park. Also close to East Grinstead, Crowborough and Tunbridge Wells.

We sampled the scones with cream and jam with the house blend tea. Both were excellent and thoroughly recommended. Scones were fresh and delightful. Lovely house blend of Assam and Kenyan tea.

Those at surrounding tables were tucking into a wide variety of delicious looking lunches and cakes. We are looking forward to returning to sample more of the menu, which includes a Winnie the Pooh tea with honey.

Although there is fairly limited parking in front of the tea room, there is a bigger parking area diagonally opposite across the road, so do not be put off if there is no obvious parking right in front.

• Visited September 2013