“The best hotel and service ever”
Review of Buxted Park Hotel

Buxted Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Uckfield
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have stayed a number of times at Buxted Park and every time we have had the best time. The service is second to none, the whole team from guest services, housekeeping and the restaurant make you feel totaly special, even one of their family. Would highly recommend a stay or just afternoon tea.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Trip advisor following your recent stay.

It is a real pleasure to read that on numerous stays at Buxted Park you have received excellent service and hospitality from the all the team. Thank you for your recommendations and I look forward to welcoming you back to Buxted Park when I can assure you of our very best attention.

There are newer reviews for Buxted Park Hotel

HOTEL
312 acres of grounds, including newborn lambs, lakes (fishing) and walks. Very picturesque, lovely approach. Need signage to the Reception, though!

ROOMS
Very quiet, luxurious and comfortable, and well appointed. You don't feel 'processed' as a guest, the rooms seem designed to make you feel coddled and relaxed. The decor throughout showed attention to detail, colour and ambience.

BAR
The bar is a delight - so cosy with a log fire, with deep soft leather chairs, immaculately clean and set out to afford privacy. We were given a free glass of Champagne in the bar, which was a lovely gesture. The staff are friendly and professional and seem to really enjoy their job.

RESTAURANT
Very comfortable and immaculately clean. Well set out tables, not too close, and the booths for larger parties were a nice touch. From start to finish the service was excellent, and as in all the best restaurants the waiters knew the diners' orders without having to ask/interrupt. Everyone serving was French, which increased the ambience significantly.

FOOD / MENUS
Clearly superb chefs!! Food so beautifully displayed, zinging with flavour, and perfectly cooked. I particularly liked the fact that there were two Table d'Hote menus - one for Vegetarians - and both given equal prominence as a menu, with the abiilty to switch courses between both menus. All the dishes looked amazing. We were somewhat surprised by the high prices (£28-£30 for a main course alone, in some instances) but as we were there on a DB&B offer (with free bottle of Champagne!), it made the dining experience highly affordable.

CHECK-IN / CHECK-OUT
This was the only area we felt needed improvement in the form of common sense. There was a large desk with two chairs in front of it, but seemingly no-one manning this Reception desk, where we waited for at least five minutes before someone came out from a back room to check us in. They must have been aware of our presence. It was clear that Reception staff do not man this post well enough, in order to receive guests and attend to their needs, and it seemed very haphazard as a system, and was time-consuming for guests - and annoying. When you've made a long journey, braved the cold to get into the Hotel (and had to ask where Reception is because there are no signs!) and are keen to get to your room - as well as holding heavy bags/suitcases - you don't expect to have to then try and find someone to check you in! You should be made to feel your presence is expected and very much appreciated, and this certainly didn't happen at check-in. Doing away with a long desk with someone manning it may seem less like you're being processed than other hotels, but this strange, disconnected system really didn't work, and is a major fault which ought to be addressed.

ROOM CLEANING
On arrival, we made our way along our corridor and had to step around and over objects including used bed linen which was literally strewn across the corridor in quite open areas around the top of the staircase. There was no attempt to keep things alongside the corridor and out of guests' way or eyesight. Whilst it's fairly common to encounter staff making up rooms, I've never yet encountered so much mess and evidence of other guests' rooms being cleaned. It is quite shocking, really, that a hotel of this standard has a household team who are so laissez-faire about other people's rubbish being strewn across public areas, with no thought for the impression it imparts to new guests on their arrival. It's so unprofessional, and unnecessary, and lets down the whole establishment.

CHAMPAGNE DEAL WITH DINNER, BED AND BREAKFAST
My confidence was severely dented when the bottle of Champagne which was supposed to be awaiting our arrival in our room (for our Wedding Anniversary) had not been delivered as was the deal. I get the feeling this was the fault of Reception: I had already double-checked with them by email that we would have this bottle of Champagne in our room, and we were let down. If you are offering guests such a deal, you really do need to do your homework and make sure guests are not disappointed on arrival at their room.

LAST WORD
So, Buxted Park, congratulations on such a fine dining experirence, excellent chefs and serving staff. And more attention to detail concerning the house cleaning staff's lack of standards, and to getting basic things right like making sure the deals being offered are adhered to properly (Champagne in the room when that's part of the deal) and the guests' first port of call - Reception - which was terrible. These three things followed each other in succession, and gave an extremely lacking first impression of the Hotel.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comprehensive review on Trip advisor following your recent stay.

Whilst overall you clearly enjoyed your stay I was concerned to read about the lack of reception welcome and presence and the handling of your inclusive Champagne. Clearly the bedroom corridor presentation could have presented better.
Feedback is vital in our industry as we reaffirm what we do well and more importantly where we can improve. I know Janine my reception supervisor was like me disappointed to note your front of house impression and wishes to convey her sincere apologies to you.

I do hope I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Buxted Park when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I booked a night at Buxted Park for my boyfriend's birthday and it was amazing! I booked an offer that was available on the Hand Picked Hotels website that included the room, a three course dinner, breakfast and a bottle of Champagne. I chose to upgrade to a junior suite and it was well worth the extra cost as it was simply stunning! From the moment you arrive at Buxted Park you are made very welcome by all the staff who are friendly, accommodating and professional, food and drinks were fantastic, we will definitely be going back!

Room Tip: The Junior Suites are beautiful, a bit more pricy but well worth it for a bit of luxury!

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.

May I convey my congratulations to your boyfriend on his birthday celebrations.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the Junior suite was ‘simply stunning!’ I will certainly pass on your kind words to the team and look forward to welcoming you back to Buxted Park in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed here 31st March to 2nd April for my niece's wedding. All staff were very helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble. The location is stunning with great views and nice walks ( a shame it was so cold - took wellies, scarves, hats & gloves). The hotel itself was impressive with good amenities to cater for most tastes. Our room was good with a huge bed + a sofa bed for our daughter, it also had good facilities. The wedding itself went very well with no problems, a credit to the hotel, everyone had a great time. I would also agree with previous reviewers in that it could do with a bit of TLC here and there but on the whole this did not detract from making our stay wonderful.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Guest

May I start my conveying my congratulations to your niece on her recent wedding at Buxted Park Hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor.

I was pleased to read you and your family enjoyed your stay and the wedding. I will ensure your kind words are conveyed to the team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future when I can assure you of our very best attention.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My sister chose Buxted Park Hotel for her birthday celebration. We enjoyed private dining in the Library followed by overnight stays with breakfast for all guests. Three of us stayed for a second night enjoying afternoon tea and an evening meal on Sunday.

All members of staff we met were friendly and attentive and our varied requests over the course of the weekend were attended to most efficiently.

The food and wine were all of a very high standard and the "Sunday Night Club" leisure break represents excellent value. I have no hesitation in recommending Buxted Park to look after you for a special event.

It's worth noting that the small cinema can be made available to keep younger members of a party amused.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place a review on Trip Advisor following your sisters birthday celebrations.

Our Sunday night package is excellent value and very popular, the cinema as you mentioned is a fantastic facility to keep all ages occupied.

I was pleased to read the team members were friendly and attentive and looked after you all over the weekend.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

As a guest for a wedding, impressed with staff, very helpful, unfortunately signs of neglect of this great building, paint peeling from walls in one of the suites & outside plaster Brocken from walls..surely a little money spent on appearance would go along way....we had a great time anyway.......but if you charge premium prices, you need a premium property!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank AntElvy

Dear Guest

Congratulations on being our 300th reviewer. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and that you had a great time. We are always focused on the maintenance of the hotel and are committed to improving at every opportunity indeed the outside of the hotel has been recently re-rendered and due to be painted once this ready.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Buxted Park on Sunday 24th March for their Gourmet Night which is a set menu. We had a wonderful meal, I am a vegetarian and was extremely well catered for, the Chef made a special dish for each of my courses (there were 6). The staff were so professional making you feel special and at the same time injecting some fun into our evening. The surroundings are beautiful and Buxted is the ideal place to get away from it all and relax. Our room was very comfortable with beautiful furniture and a wonderful outlook onto the fields. we could have stayed there for a long time. The gardens are lovely with a lot of history attached to them and a walk in the summer months is beautiful. A real gem of a place. Not always within everyone's budget but highly recommended for a real treat or special occasion.

Room Tip: We have stayed before and therefore been in a few of the rooms. They are all very very nice and luxu...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jon_Owen, General Manager at Buxted Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to place both pictures and a review on Trip Advisor.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed one of our popular Gourmet nights and that the team looked after you so well.

The estate is stunning throughout the year and we are now fully into lambing season which is always popular for guests.

On behalf of everyone at Buxted Park may I thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Jonathan Owen summer

Also consider these accommodations in or near Uckfield
East Sussex National
Gravetye Manor Hotel and Restaurant
South Lodge Hotel
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding

Been to Buxted Park Hotel? Share your experiences!