“Excellent food and service”
Review of The Chequers Inn

The Chequers Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 57 Restaurants in Wallingford
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Alcester UK
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Our group of 50 MG owners visited for lunch on 11th June 2014. We had made arrangements with Paul and Anya, for whom nothing was too much trouble and who recommended a selection of starters and main courses. We had concerns regarding the size of our group and the need for prompt service, but we did not have to worry. All dishes were promptly and courteously served and were cooked to perfection.
Everyone complimented us on the choice of venue and it made our arrangement of the day out a pleasure. .

• Visited June 2014

“bad service”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

My family lived in Berrick Salome for 40 years and the Chequers was our local so after my mother died on the 8th June 2014 we thought we would like to hold a wake in the pub where my parents spent some good times over years.
But we called in there yesterday 10th June only to find that the landlord was about to close the pub so he could go and do the school run, he hastely served us a drink and virtualy pushed us outside telling us to sit in the garden until he came back and locked the door behind us. Well ! with service like that we thought no chance and we left and went down the road to The Home Sweet Home where the landlord could not have made us more welcome.
All I can say is the landlord at the Chequers must be a rich man if he can afford to turn away 40 plus people in a pub which looks very run down now and dilapidated

I would not recomend this pub to anyone

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Jenny B
“Don't do it!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Come for a drink. Interior pleasant enough, garden shabby, food appalling! Caesar salad with pieces of deep fried bread (croutons?), coleslaw and a blonde hair. I am a brunette.

2 Thank Emily M
Paul L, Manager at The Chequers Inn, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Im so sorry to hear that your croutons were not to your liking & that you found a blonde hair in the cesar salad on the day in question your waiter who has dark hair & I the chef have grey we
will keep an eye open for the blondes in future.
“Bank Holiday visit”
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Perhaps I was lucky?! Have visited The Chequers a couple of times and enjoyed both roast dinners. Friendly service and would return.

1 Thank LittleClareM
Oxford, United Kingdom
“HOW is this pub open?!”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Never experienced anything quite like it. Which is a great shame for such a friendly lady working at the bar. I ordered the fish which firstly, smelt like the wrong end of a cat... had a bite and yes, it was off. The chef came out, agreed and apologised saying the fish came in on Monday. It is Wednesday so clearly not fresh. Not sure where it had come from. Then arrived the Tortilla, which was like cardboard. After being so put off by my meal, I obviously did not eat it. Shocking. The outside was run down, tables rotting, inside tired and depressing. Please take my advice and everyone else below and do not visit!!!!!!

• Visited May 2014