“Great little place”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Pub
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I've walked by many times but never stuck my head in until recently and I am glad I did.

After a bit too much celebrating we needed a good breakfast and I recalled having read on this site they do a do a good one.

We popped in and had a great breakfast that was excellent value for money and really loved that it was very dg friendly. The staff was friendly and the food was served in a timely manner and quite tasty. Great place.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is one of those increasingly rare places that don't seem to have a website - so tripadvisor was a useful pointer for me. I needed breakfast on a Sunday, and couldn't be sure if it would be open or not. But, no worries, it opens at 9am and was already doing useful business when I arrived.

There is a good choice for breakfast, including American pancakes, but most I suppose will opt for the full English. This is available in two sizes - small and large plus a vegetarian equivalent. Pricing was just under £6 for the large version at the time of writing. Strangely, toast is not included in either size, so ordering the large version, which includes a slice of fried bread, is an option. A side order of toast at over £2 would have made the meal too expensive. Both size options included tea or coffee. The tea came on a lovely tray with a pot containing enough for 2 cups.

I can't claim that this breakfast was wonderfully cheap - it seemed to me to be about average - but the quality of both food and cooking was wonderful. It was the best breakfast I have been served in a very long time and therefore represented great value.

The pub itself is cosy and comfortable and the staff work hard to give good service. The pub has a car park at the rear, and parking in Wallingford seemed more than reasonable - there are about 4 car parks, all offering the first hour free, and the second hour at 80p. Not bad, eh?
Alternatively, find a residential road on the edge of town, beyond the yellow lines, and walk in.
It is a lovely little town, and the Dolphin more than does it proud.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Visited here on a very quiet Tuesday night in the town. I was served a prawn cocktail with the most prawns I have ever seen in one and very nicely presented too. The steak I had was delicious and good quality. The lady behind the bar was really friendly as was the lady who served me the food. Thank you I really enjoyed a very pleasant experience. Great value too, prices really good!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

very friendly staff and a breakfast that would satisfy the hungriest of us!! Dog friendly area provided as it was raining outside but otherwise nice table seating outdoors.

1  Thank Y-Wood-U
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

Reasonable menu worn a good selection of regular pub fare. Good choice of drinks and real ale with awell managed cellar -good beer.

Food was in sizeable quantities and of decent quality. Nothing to get excited about but pleasant and food value.