“Great location, friendly staff, good value hearty food”
Review of The Boat House

The Boat House
Ranked #43 of 60 Restaurants in Wallingford
Cuisines: Argentinean, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had a large family gathering on Sunday afternoon at the Boat House in Wallingford. It was a late booking for 12 adults with 4 kids as plans had to change at late notice. The staff were more than happy to help us out, they arranged the tables as we liked, got high chairs for the young ones, took our orders in different batches as we were all paying separately. Good choice of drinks, Birra Moretti on draft is very rare and very welcome. I had a nice Old Hooky, Oxfordshire ale and they had other options as well, Adnams Broadside. My food was excellent, very hot steak and ale pie, good mash, gravy and hot veg. All others seemed happy with there's, two very good, blue steaks were prepared very well. Lovely non pre frozen garlic bread with cheese and all party seemed happy. Staff were always very friendly at the bar and serving, they also rewarded the two birthday people with jam doughnut shots!!! Good, family friendly pub, good food, very good value, good sport on decent sized screens.

Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

I live about 45 minutes away from the area and have visited the Boathouse on a few occasions.The times which I have previously visted they havent been the best of experiences, as I felt very unwelcome and the atmosphere was poor. I had also ordered food which wasnt the best and overall there could have been better service as a whole! I have however visited the resturant with a family member to visit family which live in the area and must make the point in saying it has totally turned around!A gentleman had stated that the pub was under new management and may I say he is stepping up the game! I had a lovely meal and the staff were extremely polite and attentive. Will definitely be visiting again soon.

1  Thank Abi1997
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The Boat House is a big pub style place, has lots of seething areas inside and pit, its ode is nice of oyu can get a table overlooking the river
Food is basic and reasonably priced, as is the drinks, ideal for group meetings

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Having read the mixture of below reviews and having a similar bad experience in the summer, I decided to give the Boat House one more chance in a passing visit to Wallingford. I was pleasently suprised to see that the hungry horse style menu has been changed for what appeares to be a smaller but better focused menu. It seems that John Barras have now adopted a fresher approach in both their food and drink range. When my meal arrived it was hot and tasty, well worth £6 if not more!

On my last visit I was more disappointed in the seclection and quality of ale available but again my opinion has been change as whilst there is still only 2 ale pumps there is now a range of world beers. The manager was more than helpfull when it came to my curiosity and gave me a wealth of knowladge on each one!

I will no long be avoiding the Boat House. Well done John Barras looks like you are turning round for the better!

Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

I can honestly say this is the worst place I have ever been to eat lunch. It is such a shame because the location is great, right on the river. The food was below par but the staff were the rudest I have ever had the misfortune to come across.

Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at The Boat House, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear lmahoney86

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that the service you received was not met by your expectations with regards to your visit to the Boat House in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards