“Better Than Average”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wallingford
Colchester
“Better Than Average”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have stayed at The George on a number of occasions for business and it is slowly improving. The rooms are much cleaner, the décor has been freshened up but the TV's still need updating. So, a comfortable stay for a night or two, the breakfast is good and the staff mostly cheerful, helpful and efficient. At times parking can be a problem when the hotel is busy but I will no doubt be returning to the George before too long.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed 2 nights. It is an in -town hotel, so a bit noisy, but other features make up for this!
Great bar, good food, excellent location with several good dining choices.
Main town square, about 3 block walk-Fantastic Waitrose less than 75 yards around the corner--antiques mall next door and most surprising a vast, magical Wallingford castle and garden right out your back door--don't miss it, we almost did--right through a small gate at rear of parking lot.
Bus to oxford 35 minutes--hassle free.
Room probably needs an upgrade, but pricing was reasonable and parking was a snap.
Would stay again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Stayed here for a weekend away for my fiances birthday and had great time at this hotel, very friendly helpful staff, good location as right in the heart of Wallingford, rooms very clean and spacious and the hotels own bike hire which i didnt know about was fantastic as we spent a day cycling along the thames.
Overall would definitely recommend the george.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the courtyard can be a little noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hotel has very high standards; lovely rooms, friendly staff, good bar, tasty food, free WIFI. This was the first time I had stayed in Room 101 and it was great! Ticked all the boxes for me. Was even able to watch the mighty Arsenal outclass Napoli after dinner.

Room Tip: Try Room 101 !
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had high hopes of this hotel because we have stayed in 2 other Peel Hotels (Crown & Mitre, Carlisle and Caledonian in Newcastle) and we were not disappointed. Receptionist, Mandy, made us very welcome on arrival and we quickly completed the usual formalities before going to our room. The George Hotel is over 400 years old (even a ghost in residence in the bar area). However, our room had all the usual modern amenities, with a comfortable bed, wide flat screen TV and a "welcome tray" which included tea, coffee, chocolate and shortbread biscuits. We overlooked the heated courtyard where residents and locals were drinking and eating. Our evening meals were first class, cooked by chef Andre & team, and served by two delightful waitresses (Ashton & Kat) who were very keen to help and answered all our questions about the area and hotel. Breakfast was freshly cooked not left on heated plates! Ideally situated for Oxford, Henley and Blenheim by car or by a good bus network plus walks along the Thames towpath. We stayed 3 days and 2 nights and will definitely return before too long.

Room Tip: As it is a 400 year old listed building it is not possible to install a lift. However, the stairs ar...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GeorgeWallingford, Manager at George Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Martin B,

My sincere thanks to you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am glad to hear that we at The George have kept up with the high standards you are accustomed to with Peel Hotels. We have a lovely team here (ghost included!) and strive to make sure our guests are welcomed and looked after in all areas of our establishment during their stay and I am delighted that we have achieved this. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your meals with us and hope that we may impress you again.

I will of course pass on your kind comments to my team and may I say that we look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future I hope.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

What a lovely homely hotel, I went on my own only to discover that they had a beer festival going on! The staff are truly wonderful, friendly without being in your face and only too keen to please, listening to them they have many repeat guests who are only too happy to return and I can see why. I live in a very quiet area of London and have trouble sleeping anywhere with any noise but here i slept like a log, even during the day! The manageress Sarah and her team are really delightful and I can't wait to return, thank you all for a really lovely time:))

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
GeorgeWallingford, General Manager at George Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear LondonEpicurian,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave us some lovely feedback! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The George and indeed the local festival, Bunkfest. We do have several guests who return to us year on year (for Bunkfest and other events alike) and we take pride in providing a friendly yet professional service.

I am also delighted to hear that you slept well!

I will of course pass on all of your kind comments to my team and we look forward to welcoming you again to The George in the future!

Hythe, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed at The George the 1st weekend in August '13. I booked the accommodation as it was close to the Town Hall where I was due to attend a wedding.
The welcome in reception was warm and friendly, and paperwork kept to a minimum.
I was given clear instructions as to how to find my room and also how to find the Town Hall.
The room was very clean and a fair size. The decor was pleasing.
The bathroom was small but again really clean and there were plenty of toiletries.
The information pack in the room was clear and included some nice historical notes about Dick Turpin,The tear drop room and the history of the building.
The pub is very quaint, drinks are well priced and again the staff were very friendly.
Braekfast the next morning was superb, with lots of choice. Very well presented and cooked. Again, very bright and cheery friendly staff.
Room for improvement?
I would say the room was overpriced by about £35.
They lock the gates in the archway when the pub closes, so if like me you return at 11.45...you are locked out with no bell or way of attracting the attention of the night porter. I actually gained access by walking around to the car park at the back (a very dark lane). I was on my own...so not ideal.
It would have been useful to add directions to the Hotel Parking on the booking form. This would save guests having to spend a bit of time working out how to get there! OR make the sign 'Car Park at rear' a bit bigger.
Don't let this put you off...it's a lovely place to stay! and a must if you want to find out about the connection with Dick Turpin and the very enchanting, if a bit sad...Teardrop Room.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs for history and atmosphere....Ground floor is new. Both are good.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank hythehoney
Wol_11, Manager at George Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear loujones777,

I sincerely thank you for your review. I am delighted to hear that your experience was enhanced by our lovely team of staff. We take pride in being professional yet friendly. I am also very pleased to hear that you enjoyed our brochure detailing the history of the building and local area. The George Hotel and Wallingford itself is indeed steeped in history and there are many attractions (historical and other) in and around Oxfordshire for the budding historian, couples and families alike.

With regard to the gate being closed, I am sorry you had to walk around to the car park entrance and I thank you for bringing it to my attention. It is indeed something we are working on and we will be providing more details for guests about timings of the gates being opened/closed and what to do if closed in the very near future.

I am very grateful to you for both the time taken to write a review and for your kind and constructive comments and I hope to welcome you back to The George in the future.

Acting General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wallingford
Shillingford Bridge Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Oxford
Milton Hill, Abingdon
Milton Hill, Abingdon
#1 of 1 in Steventon

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!