“Fantastic Eggs Royale”

The Old Post Office
Ranked #15 of 61 Restaurants in Wallingford
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Overlooking Wallingford’s market square, the Grade II listed building in St Martin's Street that was once home to the town’s prominent post office, first re-opened its doors as an Oakman Inn in 2009. In addition to bearing the same name, The Old Post Office features many of the original elements, including the Victorian counter, and the traditional red post box situated in our front courtyard.
Reviewed December 8, 2017

I arrived exhausted from a long flight. The staff helped me get coffee and a quiet table. My eggs arrived quickly and were just yummy. On a later evening, I also enjoyed soup by the fire in the bar. A really warm and cozy spot.

Oakman I, Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2017

Hi 112ashley,

Thank you for the lovely review, we're pleased we could accommodate you and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 6, 2017

We stopped by last Saturday lunchtime and the place was busy. Lovely old building outside with a modern New York loft type look inside. It is very much a pub type atmosphere rather than restaurant. We were seated straight away - friendly waitress took our order quickly. I went for the salmon risotto - it was a very small portion but tasty. I liked the menu selection, there was a lot to choose from. This place would be ideal for large groups as it has great space. I will definitely go back to try a few more selections from the menu. Hopefully portion size will increase but overall a nice casual dining venue.

Oakman I, Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2017

Hi regulartraveller01,

Thank you for the lovely review, we're so pleased you enjoyed your visit and look forward to you visiting again.

Reviewed December 3, 2017 via mobile

We went to this restaurant on a Sunday morning and it was great. The food was tasty (eggs benedict and egg royale). The service was attentive and the order was delivered in a timely manner. I do not agree that this restaurant is just for the young, we felt comfortable and are in our fifties and sixties.
They would have had more stars if I hadn't had to send back my tea cup because it was dirty. I suspect that it was stained but attention to that kind of detail would be good.
We would go back though.

Oakman I, Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2017

Hi Flyingnurse090,

Thank you for the lovely review, we're pleased that you enjoyed your visit and do apologise for the tea cup! Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 24, 2017 via mobile

Four of us for dinner, having not been before not sure what to expect.
Main course was yummy, cleared plates all round. Puddings were just as good.
Will go again soon.

Hi Alexa F,

Thank you for the lovely review, looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 14, 2017 via mobile

We came in after the Remembrance Parade in the Market Place,. Having forgotten to book, we were not very hopeful of finding a table. The staff were extremely helpful, they apologised that there were no tables free and asked if we would mind using the high seated tables, no problem. Drinks arrived within a couple of minutes and we ordered the meals. My wife had the gluten-free house burger with their G-F bun which she said was excellent. I had the large portion duck salad which I thoroughly enjoyed. A really good lunch with lovely, caring staff. Same time next year!

1  Thank Alec H
Oakman I, General Manager at The Old Post Office, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2017

Hi Alec H

Thanks for your excellent review.

We're delighted we could accommodate for you despite you not having a booking.It sounds as though your meals were enjoyable. Looking forward to your return.

The Old Post Office team