“Outstanding food in lovely surroundings.”

The Old Post Office
Ranked #15 of 61 Restaurants in Wallingford
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Overlooking Wallingford’s market square, the Grade II listed building in St Martin's Street that was once home to the town’s prominent post office, first re-opened its doors as an Oakman Inn in 2009. In addition to bearing the same name, The Old Post Office features many of the original elements, including the Victorian counter, and the traditional red post box situated in our front courtyard.
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Had a lovely meal here with my wife, the food was outstanding, varied menu to suit all tastes, the restaurant is very well presented with a lovely atmosphere, the staff are welcoming and friendly, would recommend for any occasion .

Reviewed August 15, 2013

My 30 year old son and myself spent a weekend in Wallingford so sampled most of the pubs /restaurants.The old Post Office is an up market hostelry and although you do pay top dollar is worth visiting.We had a super choice breakfast there served by a very polite young lady.The service and bar staff were good at their jobs and served some super cocktails and a good assortment of beers and coffee.Nice to sit out the front on a nice day and watch the world go by

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Very poor selection of food for vegetarians. Shame as it used to be an excellent Italian restaurant- which catered excellently for them. Visited with friends to eat and had to leave with the lack of choice. It seems more of a drinking place now!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Under new management. Sympathetically designed interior and staff are neatly presented, polite and reasonably knowledgeable. However, my risotto was dry and over-cooked. We were offered free coffees, but I insisted to the duty manager that the cost of one main meal should be deducted from our bill also. He readily agreed, but it's a shame I had to press for this. We shall go back, but not for a few months as they seem to be having 'teething troubles' in the kitchen.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We've visited here several times over the last few years for special family occasions. We've always enjoyed the atmosphere there, although it can get really noisy when it's full. This time, it was quiet when we arrived. The open kitchen generates a lot of heat so we chose a table well away. The menu is varied, a little pretentious and, to be honest, quite pricey. (Duck breast with 2 veg at £16:95 anyone?)
Other reviews have mentioned slowness of service - the problem when we were there seemed to be with the bar and getting drinks. Someone who looked like the duty manager brought the first drinks order - OK. Subsequent drinks were brought by the server and he seemed apologetic about how long it took the bar staff to dispense them. A second glass of wine which I ordered when the main course arrived was finally delivered just before I finished the food (with a bit of prompting)
The service was OK. There seemed to be a lot of back-chat going on around the kitchen, but I couldn't work out if it was gay banter or staff complaining at each other! Hopefully the former but I think the latter.
the food was so-so - the duck was tough, the salad with the steak salad was limp like it had been on the plate for some time.
Overall, a little disappointing this time so I'll think twice about going again.