“Superb evening”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our evening at the OPO. The food was delicious and beautifully cooked. I can highly recommend the Merluzzo Alla Napoletana, it was one of the most perfectly cooked pieces of fish that I have ever eaten in a restaurant in the UK. We had cocktails from the bar to start and then a superb meal, with excellent service and a lively atmosphere. I have eaten here with friends on special occasions and with my young children and it never disappoints. I would definitely recommend this restaurant and encourage you to try it out.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

As a couple we eat there regularly particularly at lunchtime. The staff are always friendly. I like fish and I had a plate of cod there recently which was par excellence. The presentation was excellent and the fish was done to perfection.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have been here about 4 times for drinks and/or meals since this April and each time I come away indifferent. After my last visit I have decided that I will not eat here any more and will only have drinks here when we have friends or family in town, do to it's nice contemporary atmosphere.

Essentially, the menu is diverse and there is something for everyone. However, once the food comes you quickly realise you'd have been better off cooking at home and just coming for drinks. The food is marginal, but seriously over priced. It's restaurants like this that have motivated me to cook more at home. It's just not worth the £40-£60 you'd spend out.

OPO has a nice atmosphere for a drink and they do a good assortment of cocktails. However, on my last visit I ordered a cosmo for my wife and was asked if I wanted a 'classic cosmo' or 'Manhattan cosmo'. I asked what the difference was and was told the Manhattan was made with raspberry. I opted for the safer classic version and when it was delivered to our table it was not a classic cosmo, but was some completely clear variation not made with cranberry. We mentioned this to the barman who decided to argue the fact and not wanting to spend the entire time explaining to the barman what a classic cosmo actually is, we accepted defeat and have vowed to minimise the time and money spend we spend here.

It's a shame I feel this way and I truly wished it were better. I live very nearby and if it were something other than bog standard pseudo trendy corporate fare I would be by a lot more. Wallingford is a lovely place to live and needs a modern place like this to provide an option from the traditional pubs that dot the town. That being said, it needs to find it's soul and a purpose.

1  Thank Brandon C
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Good location, nice building well converted, eat inside or out.
Food can be slow arriving and service lacks panache or enthusiasm
Feel that time spent with all the staff on training, body language, in fact on service would turn this restaurant into a desire able place to eat.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have been here for drinks on several occasions and although on the top end of drinks prices for the area it has been a pleasant experience, the surroundings are lovely and you feel like the extra money you have parted with has gone to good use. It is also the only place of its kind in Wallingford.

After months of visiting this establishment for a drink, we decided to give the restaurant a go. My husband booked online and everything went smoothly. We were seated, our drinks order was taken. We waited a little over average for our starters which were of a very good standard. At this point the restaurant was less than half full and things were still going well.

We had ordered our mains with the starters and in the mean time we had waited for the starters watched 2 sets of couples on the table next to us one of which arrived as we finished our starter and ordered the same main off the specials menu as my husband. They waited, got their meal, ate their meal, chatted with friends and we were still left waiting. A family then sat on another table next to us, ordered and got their starters, we were still waiting. I spoke to who I assume is the manager who happened to be nearby. I explained the situation and he said he would find out what was going on. This took up another x amount of time whereby we were told they burnt the first lot and had to start again and then that they were plating up for another 10 minutes. All the while we were offered nothing to tie us over or even a drink? It was almost an hour before we gave in and told them to keep their mains which coincidentally were still just on their way out.

This is a lovely place for a drink but I certainly wouldn't recommend the restaurant unless you are happy to wait until next week for your very tasty meal to arrive.

Sort it out o.p.o. Looking at the rest of the reviews on here it is pretty obvious you have a major problem in the service area.
A simple apology would be a great start!