“Was hoping for more”

The Old Post Office
Ranked #14 of 62 Restaurants in Wallingford
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Overlooking Wallingford’s market square, the Grade II listed building in St Martin's Street that was once home to the town’s prominent post office, first re-opened its doors as an Oakman Inn in 2009. In addition to bearing the same name, The Old Post Office features many of the original elements, including the Victorian counter, and the traditional red post box situated in our front courtyard.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had heard good reviews about the "OPO" but are dining experience was disappointing. On the day we ate the food was not fresh and we both were left feeling bloated and underwhelmed. Maybe this was a one off and it could be worth another try.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

First they were half an hour late with our table, suggesting we went to the bar. The whole half hour was spent trying to get served. We did get a table but it was next to the serving counter and was boiling, had to ask to be moved (which they did without question once a table was available). Wine was expensive and warm. Food was mediocre, in fact so poor that we decided to go home and get some cheese out of the fridge instead with a bottle of affordable wine.
Bet it was better when it was a Post Office, did Wallingford really need another posh bar/restaurant.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had travelled from Devon to The Old Post Office as a treat for father's day from my daughters. It was busy and I accepted the 2 or 3 minutes it took for someone to attend to us. I ordered the Mussels, followed by Belly Pork. The mussels arrived some 45 minutes after ordering, and by the look of them they were the frozen ones (they would have made good rubber bands). A finger bowl and receptacle to put the shells was not provided.

A 30 minute wait for the main course. The Belly Pork was advertised as having "crispy crackling". If it did, someone had obviously stolen it, as it wasn't on my bit. Instead it was a thin layer of fat that had been shown the grill to brown it a little. There were also bones and bits of gristle left in it. I can cook Pork Belly better than this chef, and that's not an idle boast.

A 20 minute wait for ice cream and Eton Mess and our lunchtime "treat" was over. The problem throughout was that the waiting staff never made eye contact, so it was an age before they noticed anyone needing attention. The disappointments were mentioned to them, but sadly, it didn't appear that anything would be done.

On a positive note The Old Post Office gets a star for having "proper" napkins - those that are cloth and not horrid paper ones. And another star for the wine.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went to here as a party of 18 older people, staff very friendly and orders were taken quickly. Starters very fast but a long wait for mains - this wouldn't have mattered if we hadn't been subjected to a table tucked at the back near one end of ours that subjected us to loud and foul mouthed 'shouted' conversation for the entirety of our meal. We did ask the staff to have a word but nothing was done. I can only assume that they are regulars who spend a lot and we were a one off from the river. Only three of our party could bear to stay for dessert - so they did not get as much money as they could have. The décor and cleanliness of the whole place was excellent and the loos are huge although a long staircase and corridor to get to them. Full marks to the staff for their attentiveness - perhaps a little more training in how to handle a situation like this?

Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I decided to give the Old Post Office a go after seeing an advert for their gluten free menu when we were walking past one day.

We didn't book in advance, but this was not an issue when it came to the gluten free menu (as you would expect). The staff were friendly, knowledgeable and attentive and the atmosphere is friendly. The food was lovely, we both really enjoyed our meals very much.

Slightly high price wise for a gastro pub, but this was off-set by the meal being so nice. The way that the tables were arranged was a bit cafeteria style, but that bothered my husband more than me. As he pointed out, when we ate there it wasn't busy, but if it had been, this could have been quite off putting.

All in all an enjoyable meal and I would recommend!