“Poor housekeeping” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Warrington
Ladbroke, United Kingdom
“Poor housekeeping”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

I have stayed at Gulliver's Hotel several times on business. The front of house staff are friendly and welcoming. I can't comment on the evening meals as I haven't tried them, having been put off by colleagues who had previously stayed there and sampled the food, and other reviews on this site. Breakfast is adequate, though the cooked options were not always out for the start time of 7am, which is not good enough when catering for the corporate guest on time restraints.
What really lets this hotel down is the very poor standard of housekeeping. The bathroom is reasonably clean on arrival, though not of a standard I would expect, with hairs left in what is supposed to be a clean bath. Everytime I have stayed there the bath, basin and toilet haven't been cleaned throughout my stay. On one occasion the metal holder that contains the liquid soap and shower gel dripped rust stains onto the edge of the bath, which remained there from the first evening I had a bath to the morning I left four days later. The mugs on the tea tray are not cleaned properly, if cleaned at all. I returned one evening to find a mug I had used the previous evening, which had clearly visible residue of blackcurrant juice inside, simply turned upside down on the tea tray ready for use. On another occasion the mugs had been rinsed out (certainly not cleaned properly) and left upside down on the tea tray in a pool of water. Other times the mugs have been left dirty, dirty cutlery not removed from the room and the bin in the bedroom not emptied, even when obviously full. The bathroom bin isn't emptied on a daily basis either, when it contains bagged sanitary items.
I have spoken to one of the managers about some of these issues, but her response was that she had only just been reading their excellent reviews on booking.com, and they were particularly praised for their cleanliness. I did point out that a review on this site had criticised the fact that the bathroom wasn't cleaned for the duration of the stay.
The day to day servicing of the rooms consists of a change of towels, making the bed and replenishing the toilet roll. There is no cleaning, dusting or vacuuming at all. One room I stayed in had two very bad stains on the carpet which I told reception about. A half hearted attempt to clean them was made half way through the following week.
This could be an ideal place to stay, particularly as it is such a quiet location. I stuck with it hoping it would improve as the location and proximity to my workplace is ideal, but there has been no improvement and I feel uncomfortable being there.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the front, the smell of cigarette smoke from the smokers congregating outside recepti...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Bonnie950

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stopped at Gullivers Hotel in Warrington a few times now, have found it to be a quiett secluded hotel with no traffic noise which I fInd to be a bonus. the rooms are reasonably clean and well presented which you should find with a recentkly new hotel. The dining amenities are more of a cafe style with the menu reflecting that theme but very limited. The first time I stayed there was no menu available, I had frozen battered fish that was still cold and frozen down the middle when presented on my plate and bitten into, I had to go out to another venue as there was very little alternatives on offer and a little concerned at the cooking skills. The next couple of visits things seemed to have inproved with T bone steakon offer which was very good the next time had to have the sirlion as no T bone available I was disapointed but it was cooked well and very nice. 6th December no steak available opted for the 8oz burger and wish I hadn't, more like a dried up 4oz burger dry and without taste found it very disapointing and the presentation dreadfull. The salad effort was a few mixed lettuce leaves wow!. This hotel could be a very nice venue if they put the effort into the most important part of their business they must try harder. What effort does it take to do home made burgers and have a stock of steak on hand and a bit of thought into presentation.
I'm afraid I have to score as average due to the food only
Sort the food out and it would be a good hotel!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Peter M
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my 2 children on the 19/12/2013 in room 101. The room was pretty basic and what I expected for the price we paid. What I didn't expect was the smell of perfume on the duvet and black pubes in the bed and a poo stain on the inside of the toilet. I complained to reception and to be fair the receptionist came to the room with fresh sheets and was really apologetic about it and said that she was going to write a report and offered an upgrade to a better room. It was 9.30pm when we changed rooms and the new room was cold and noisy with the heater going most of the night. The next morning I was talking to another lady who had booked in that evening and her beds hadn't even been made up in her room so the poor receptionist had to make up 3 kids beds and a king size. Maybe a few lazy cleaners should be sacked because this just isn't good enough!!!!

I do really think that I should have been offered some sort of compensation a well as an upgrade.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bathbomb
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

We have just returned from a Christmas Spectacular weekend package, which overall we enjoyed. The access to the theme park & the Santa experience were well worth the money, our 4 year old loved it.

Sadly the hotel lets itself down in a couple of areas...

On arrival it looks wonderful and the staff are very welcoming. The bedroom we stayed in was perfect, it was a Pirate themed room which our son was amazed by, the decor and the den for him to sleep in were probably the highlights of his stay. The room was spotlessly clean but lacking in a couple of amenities that would surely up its ratings, firstly, a heated towel rail or even just a towel rail! One hook behind the door does not lend itself to hanging 3 towels up to dry. Also, teaspoons. I know this sounds minor but how do you stir your sugar into your tea?! On asking for a teaspoon at reception, one was found but only after a long search. It turned out that they did not have any within the kitchen or restaurant so at breakfast children were having to eat their cereals with a soup spoon.

The point which lets them down totally is the food. We ate in the restaurant on the first evening and began to wonder what was going on when we saw other families sitting at the table with take aways. Wish I had cottoned on before we had ordered as the food was awful, 'beige' is the best description I can give it, I don't believe the kitchen cooks anything from fresh, it was all obviously pre-packed, frozen and re-heated. My boy took one bite of his cheesy pasta and refused to eat any more. Jamie Oliver would be horrified. After enquiring with the receptionist about the take aways it turned out that they allow people to bring in food as their own menu is so limited. In my view they should just do away with the menu and leave some take out menus on the desk!

As other reviewers have stated the children's play room leaves a lot to be desired, basic at the best.

Sadly I doubt we will return to Gullivers Hotel, it could be great but it needs a lot of effort putting in to bring the rest of the experience up to the level of the family suites.

Room Tip: Themed rooms for the kids are amazing!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jude D
North Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after visiting the park for a Christmas package. The park was great value for money (We booked early and got 25% off one of their xmas packages) The children loved it, there were hardly no queues and we had a great turkey carvery included. They enjoyed the visit to Santa through a lovely grotto and then were able to choose a good quality gift from Santa's shop.

The hotel was fab and very family friendly. We stayed in a pirate themed room and our first words were 'wow'!! Our boys were amazed by it and loved their own bunk area (shaped like a pirate ship) with individual TV's. The whole room was tastefully done with good quality fixtures and fittings and lots of quirky details. I was as equally impressed as the children! It was lovely and clean and even had sweets and juice and an advent calendar- a lovely touch.

We ate in the hotel and the food was good and reasonably priced. there was a play room next to the restaurant and an outdoor play area with a crazy golf. Some characters from the park came to do a disco.

Breakfast was advertised as 'light' but there were hot items bacon, egg, beans, sausage etc as well as cereal, toast, crumpets , yogurts and more.

Overall we had a fantastic stay, the staff were lovely and we cant wait to come back.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Pirate rooms were fab!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Holiday30NorthWales
greenock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Absolute bargain, stayed just as the schools went back in September meaning the park was out of season. We got a massive room with a massive balcony, good breakfast. Not a bad word to say about this place. Anyone working within 20 miles should stay here if it's out of season. We were 50 a night b&b for a twin. Probably the best hotel I've came across while working away.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank marckarn
isle of man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

The location is very handy for the M6 & M62, easy to find, with many major stores being close by in the local retail parks. Arrival at the hotel is pleasant driving down a tree lined driveway & being situated very close to the theme park itself. The Hotel is quite new, well designed & furnished. Reception staff were pleasant & informative. Nicely detailed corridors & communal areas leading to the bedrooms, our family room was spacious, well planned & finished, with quality fittings & very comfortable beds ( even the kids beds were good ) Again the bathroom was well fitted & all spotlessly clean. We didn't have evening meals, but found the breakfast fine, buffet style with toast & a few cereals, fruit juices a great coffee machine :-) A warm selection was also available, scrambled egg, sausage bacon & beans.
At that price....£45 / night you really could not ask for more, far better ( in our opinion ) than a premier inn. Well done Gullivers

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family