“Split personality...”

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Warrington
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
“Split personality...”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We have just returned from a Christmas Spectacular weekend package, which overall we enjoyed. The access to the theme park & the Santa experience were well worth the money, our 4 year old loved it.

Sadly the hotel lets itself down in a couple of areas...

On arrival it looks wonderful and the staff are very welcoming. The bedroom we stayed in was perfect, it was a Pirate themed room which our son was amazed by, the decor and the den for him to sleep in were probably the highlights of his stay. The room was spotlessly clean but lacking in a couple of amenities that would surely up its ratings, firstly, a heated towel rail or even just a towel rail! One hook behind the door does not lend itself to hanging 3 towels up to dry. Also, teaspoons. I know this sounds minor but how do you stir your sugar into your tea?! On asking for a teaspoon at reception, one was found but only after a long search. It turned out that they did not have any within the kitchen or restaurant so at breakfast children were having to eat their cereals with a soup spoon.

The point which lets them down totally is the food. We ate in the restaurant on the first evening and began to wonder what was going on when we saw other families sitting at the table with take aways. Wish I had cottoned on before we had ordered as the food was awful, 'beige' is the best description I can give it, I don't believe the kitchen cooks anything from fresh, it was all obviously pre-packed, frozen and re-heated. My boy took one bite of his cheesy pasta and refused to eat any more. Jamie Oliver would be horrified. After enquiring with the receptionist about the take aways it turned out that they allow people to bring in food as their own menu is so limited. In my view they should just do away with the menu and leave some take out menus on the desk!

As other reviewers have stated the children's play room leaves a lot to be desired, basic at the best.

Sadly I doubt we will return to Gullivers Hotel, it could be great but it needs a lot of effort putting in to bring the rest of the experience up to the level of the family suites.

Room Tip: Themed rooms for the kids are amazing!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Jude D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
North Wales
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel after visiting the park for a Christmas package. The park was great value for money (We booked early and got 25% off one of their xmas packages) The children loved it, there were hardly no queues and we had a great turkey carvery included. They enjoyed the visit to Santa through a lovely grotto and then were able to choose a good quality gift from Santa's shop.

The hotel was fab and very family friendly. We stayed in a pirate themed room and our first words were 'wow'!! Our boys were amazed by it and loved their own bunk area (shaped like a pirate ship) with individual TV's. The whole room was tastefully done with good quality fixtures and fittings and lots of quirky details. I was as equally impressed as the children! It was lovely and clean and even had sweets and juice and an advent calendar- a lovely touch.

We ate in the hotel and the food was good and reasonably priced. there was a play room next to the restaurant and an outdoor play area with a crazy golf. Some characters from the park came to do a disco.

Breakfast was advertised as 'light' but there were hot items bacon, egg, beans, sausage etc as well as cereal, toast, crumpets , yogurts and more.

Overall we had a fantastic stay, the staff were lovely and we cant wait to come back.
Thank you.

Room Tip: Pirate rooms were fab!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Holiday30NorthWales
greenock
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Absolute bargain, stayed just as the schools went back in September meaning the park was out of season. We got a massive room with a massive balcony, good breakfast. Not a bad word to say about this place. Anyone working within 20 miles should stay here if it's out of season. We were 50 a night b&b for a twin. Probably the best hotel I've came across while working away.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank marckarn
isle of man
Reviewed November 14, 2013

The location is very handy for the M6 & M62, easy to find, with many major stores being close by in the local retail parks. Arrival at the hotel is pleasant driving down a tree lined driveway & being situated very close to the theme park itself. The Hotel is quite new, well designed & furnished. Reception staff were pleasant & informative. Nicely detailed corridors & communal areas leading to the bedrooms, our family room was spacious, well planned & finished, with quality fittings & very comfortable beds ( even the kids beds were good ) Again the bathroom was well fitted & all spotlessly clean. We didn't have evening meals, but found the breakfast fine, buffet style with toast & a few cereals, fruit juices a great coffee machine :-) A warm selection was also available, scrambled egg, sausage bacon & beans.
At that price....£45 / night you really could not ask for more, far better ( in our opinion ) than a premier inn. Well done Gullivers

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank blownthecase
lancashire
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have stayed twice now and really enjoyed both times. Have stayed in the standard room with gullys den and second time the princess themed room which is beautiful. The rooms are the best family rooms I have stayed at in the UK and I wish other hotels would take note.
The hotel is spotless and staff friendly and professional.
I ordered Chinese to the hotel so can't comment on evening food. The breakfast is more than adequate as its only advertised as a light breakfast but there was eggs beans sausages and bacon then the usual toast cereal yogurt etc. There is a coffee machine to help yourself to a latte or cappuccino.lovely outside play area and play room inside. Only thing there was not any paper for drawing and most of the toys had disappeared on second visit which was a shame,. This is a great hotel especially for small children ,my daughter has been so excited on both stays with the beautiful rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jennylee2201
Weymouth, UK
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I booked this hotel for an overnight stop in the north west and was very impressed with its quality and the friendliness of the staff.
I booked an executive suite which was huge, well equipped and had a great view. The decor was top notch apart from the fiddly bath/shower mixer and the sticky TV remote control.
The only thing stopping me giving the hotel a 5 star rating was the size of the bar.... way too small.
The staff were very friendly and I had a good chat with the two ladies on reception in the evening.

Room Tip: Book the executive suite (room 219 is huge)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve_in_Weymouth
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night on a business trip and, like many, was skeptical as I approached the hotel owing to its location in a theme park.

However, very pleased to report that not only were the staff friendly, but the hotel itself is lovely, the rooms well appointed and stylish (DVD player in the room was a bonus) and there was a TREE HOUSE BUNK BED in the corner of my room.

I didn't sleep in the tree house as I am a sophisticated business type, however I did try it out after a few drinks and I imagine it would've been a dream come true if I had been 20-25 years younger... It was fairly amazing even now.

I am also pleased to report the shower was good.

Why haven't I rated this hotel higher than a 3 i hear you cry? Catering isn't particularly wonderful, and being a slightly isolated property there is a real opportunity for them to improve that and drive a bit of business. Instead you have to taxi away from the hotel to find an eatery of any standard. The bar also shuts quite early for a remote hotel.

I also feel that many business types may not enjoy the tree house as much as I...

Room Tip: If you've got kids ask for a tree house... if you're a serious person ask for not a tree hou...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank James K
GulliversRep, Public Relations Manager at The Gullivers Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank's for your review! Our Tree house beds are very popular and we find that most adults visiting want to try them out, I have passed your comments to the team at the hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to review The Gulliver's Hotel