“Lovely Meal”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2013

The food was superb and the service excellent. The menu was very comprehensive and I loved the section where you could pick your own combination. I picked chinese vegetables and added chicken and topped it off with a satay sauce. The sorbet between courses was a nice touch, as were the warm towels. I was a little misled by the "banquet". I was expecting this to be more of a help yourself buffet than just a set meal option. I loved the huge picture of the Great Wall of China. I could hardly take my eyes off it. All in all though we were very pleased with everything and hope to be back when we're next in the area.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

It's common on trip advisor to state, best chinese... Best meal ever... Best value.... But really this place is amazing. I was blown away by the service, so attentive, respectful and just the right level, by far, exactly what I expect.
The exterior is non descript. Blends in with the other businesses either side, but step inside and welcome to a fantastic night.
We had the banquet. And it was sensational. The mixed entrees were just perfection. A variety of flavours and very obviously fully prepared in their kitchen. The prawns on Toast were thick and meaty, and very yummy. The mains were to die for. Whole fish in a ginger sauce, a sizzling plate, and prawns, oh lashings of food, and beautifully prepared.
It's a pity we cannot stay longer and go back for more.

2  Thank Peter M
Reviewed November 1, 2013

we have been coming here for many years but the last couple of visits have been a let down. The service was excellent and the two brothers are lovely but the quality of the food let the experience down. We had the £20.00 banquet. Starters ok and the soup but no prawn crackers. We asked for some and were charged £3.00! The big issue was the main courses they looked like cheap takeaway food, very gloopy and MSG. Also the chicken looked like nothing on earth! It was wafer thin, chewy and tasteless white and bland. We all love this restaurant but Im sorry its now "off the list".

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Only my second time at Choy Hong but this time early on a Friday evening. It was already fairly busy but after a friendly greeting we were shown to a table promptly.
The menu is a fairly typical Chinese offering; lots of variety in different sections, including a vegetarian list at the back of the menu.
While we perused the menu, more and more diners arrived, and a steady stream of takeaway customers collecting their orders from the rear of the room.
When the starters arrived I started regretting ordering a main. The Lettuce Wraps are a Chinese version of fajitas; a veggie mixture, sauce and iceberg lettuce leaves for the hapless diner to assemble, or in my case drip everywhere. Rice paper vegetables were completely delicious and moreish (I should have stopped at two).
There was quite a break until the mains arrived, which I was greatful for, althoughbthey did bring two small lemon sorbets to cleanse the pallette.
Someone on the next table asked the waiter if he could have 10 mins before the next course, whereupon the waiter explained it may be more than that vanyway as they were so busy.
When the mains arrived there were large, colourful and wafting mouthwatering smells.
The kung po king prawns were spicy but fragrant, and I'm ashamed to say that when I'd finished there were only the merest remnants in the serving bowl.
My partner had cashew nuts and vegetables in black bean sauce which was tasty but seemingly too filling.
Throughout the meal the waiting staff were discreet, helpful and very friendly. As the restaurant got busier they came around with loose covers to drape over the back of the chairs to prevent coats getting dripped on.
We accompanied the meal with a bottle of Sancerre which at £24 I thought was really good value.
There's a new Chinese takeaway opening just up the road but somehow I don't think Choi Hing will suffer too much.
In summary, if you're looking for decent Chinese food and have a big appetite, this is a very good choice...as a full restaurant most of the time would attest.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Myself, husband and family have been going the Choy Hing Village in Grappenhall for decades (I even had my eighteenth, 21st, and many more birthdays there) Why? Because the food is of such good quality, and the service is always excellent.

I visited with my Husband a couple of weeks ago, and thankfully we were able to get a table (you really need to book here). We opted for one of the special banquet for two (see below), each course was a delight

Special Banquet #3

Minimum 2 people at £25 per person
Special Mixed Chinese Hors D'oeuvres
Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup Or Hot & Sour Soup (Spicy) Prawn Crackers
Aromatic Crispy Duck
Diced Fillet Steak (Vietnamese Style)
Lamb in Black Bean Sauce
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Special Fried Rice
Garlic & Chilli King Prawns (Spicy) (If more than 3 people)
Fresh Fruit
China Tea Or Coffee

Every course was cooked perfectly, and complimented each other. I have a healthy appetite, and was full to the brim by the end..... I challenge anybody to feel hungry after working your way though a special banquet.

Anyway, I can't recommend this highly enough, in a previous job I was working away from home 2-3 nights a week, and therefore ate in a great deal of restaurants, and this has to be the best Chinese/Cantonese I have eaten. It's a toss up between here and La Boheme (Lymm) as to which is my favourite.

11  Thank Pimlicolady00