3,211 results
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 16, 2018

Booked this on an offer as we wanted to visit places in the local area.
The bathroom bin hadn't been emptied from the previous guests and the curtains had a thick build up of dust on them. We went to use the leisure facilities these were ok but again the cleanliness of the changing room left a lot to be desired. We were booked in for dinner at 8.30 the food was a carvery / pie buffet which was Ok but had dried up while being kept on the servery. Breakfast was a similar affair of overcooked / dried up food. A shame really because it wouldn't take much to improve this place immensely, but the staff just don't seem interested.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2018

Imagine a 4 star hotel built in 1970, prior to some post apocalyptic event in 1976, then used as a refuge for weary travellers trying to find their way home, finding comfort in the shelter of this building with other survivors. You're imagining the Daresbury Park Hotel and Spa

I was hoping for something good, after all, the initial search talked about a 4 star hotel. I so wish I'd checked trip advisor before booking. I've made this mistake with sites before!

Quickly checking online in my utter disappointment of this site, I found the hidden hints of horror, which would have otherwise have caused me to book elsewhere had I have known. This site was once used as an asylum for refugees. I have no problem with this - but - it may have been the start of it's down turn (Daily Mail, 17th Jan, 2015)

This hotel would have once been really nice. What hits me - is once, there was planning, design, service, and all would have been good. Now it's all the opposite. The once grand entrance still bares the hallmarks of a beautiful hotel. The staff are trying to cling on to the aire of superiority in their class, but, they lack training, the site lacks everything, in this dank, awful, dump of a place.

I fully blame management and staff. They would possibly blame their head office for not investing. However, even really old and outdated sites back be brought back to life with good leadership. Housekeeping are a vital part of the hotel industry. Here, they just don't care. The pompous procedures placed upon guests are unwarranted for such an abysmal site - why should we book a table in the restaurant? I've had better food from an army cooks trailer in the field, in -30.

Section managers clearly have no focus on service provision.No guidance, No checks. No nothing.

Staff on the whole seemed nice and welcoming ish. Just about the ONLY good point to this site. And insufficient to redeem it, as their training in customer service is lacking - it's just their upbringing that shines through. Having good parents, thus knowing how to talk to people is hit or miss in this industry.

Driving into the hotel, it's not entirely clear where reception is. Better signage and lighting of that signage is needed.

Parking is ample. But, like so many sites, it's one of those where if you don't enter your reg in the computer, you'll get given a snot-o-gram invoice.

Reception seems reasonably well appointed, but, quite pretentious for the rest of the residential side of the hotel - which is sub standard for even a 1 star.

Navigating to the rooms is a total nightmare - with room numbers almost made up on signs opposite the lift. Room 3001 - 3002 What's this about? There is under 300 rooms here. I had to go between second and third floor twice to figure out what was going on, then deduce where my room might be by looking at other room numbers.

The room itself. Vile.

Dirty, dusty, decrepit, with things either damaged or missing.

Most offensive to me here, the Gideons bible - stuck to some gunk in a drawer, with pages ripped from it. Whatever your beliefs - this book is considered holy by many, and in hotels, many a person at the end of their tether have turned to it. Well done for having it - please contact Gideons to replace damaged copies. Place it in the bedside table, not stuck to gunk in the desk drawer.

The carpet was sticky and stained, the chairs had dubious spill marks on them,

The mattress was noticeably old, and not fit for purpose. The bed sheets stained (Clean, but, should be reduced to scrap).

The light switches for the bed hidden behind a pillow.

The TV, tiny, old, and buried in a 1970's cabinet.

The furniture heavily scratched and warped.

Most the clothes hangers missing from their attachments in the wardrobe.

Ironing board minus iron.

Some kind of baggage left behind in a drawer unit.

Everything with a thick layer of dust on it, light fittings clearly dusty, cobwebs everywhere.

Bathroom soiled and dirty. Strong smell of vomit in here. Cracked tiles and cobwebs. One complimentary shampoo / conditioner bottle - half used.

WiFi - yes, available in each room. Check the small print - it's £7 for 24 hours if you want it in your room. Come on. Really? During the booking - WiFi is stated, and it eludes to it being FOC like most other 'major brands'. I've actually paid £10 less than a premier inn for this.

First night, unbearably warm - Found thermostat for radiator. Radiator was already off.
A tonne of noise coming from below outside, there's some kind of garden of eden out there - except Adam and Eve abandoned it years ago.

I called to order room service - and was told it was 'Collection only'. Well, this isn't room service then. I went down to the bar area, to then be told I'd just missed the main room service menu - but I could have a panini. This turned out to be a bread roll with tuna and cheese stuffed in it, warmed up.

Bed massively uncomfortable (Really old mattress). Barely slept.

In the morning, I noticed actually the door wasn't so secure. Seems it's been kicked in at some point.

Skipped breakfast.

Worked a full day

Came back. Room had been cleaned. Smell of vomit not in the bathroom anymore However, door was open just at a push. Lock doesn't work.

Time to try Dinner.

Asked if I'd "Booked a table", erm, no. Doesn't seem to be an issue. Offered the 3 course meal, wen't for it after confirming it's carvery status. My days. Wish I hadn't.

The restaurant is a sight to behold. Like some kind of holiday camp affair, slop is served on a hotplace counter with a chef who, although really polite, needs to remove the facial hair - or cover it for hygiene purposes.

I started off with the soup. Some kind of vegetable thing. PERFECT! Well done! Seasoned and blended well. Tasty and moorish! However, I didn't go for seconds (Not sure if I was allowed), I was leaving room for beef carvery!

Got to the counter, and, erm, nope. No beef. There's turkey (Looked more like a chicken), lady in front of me had a measly slice of this on her plate, some kind of pie, Pork sweet and sour, and a vegetarian option.

Deciding against the poor serving of turkey, I went for the Pork Sweet and sour and rice. Slopped on the plate by our chef... not great.

Tasted dreadful. Flavourless. Neither sweet nor sour.

Desert. Just masses of low quality cakes with liquid cream.

£17 odd later. I feel robbed. On the plus side - I now understand the cause of the smell of vomit in the bathroom. I had wondered all day about it.

Returning to my room, the door was unlocked again. I'm sure I checked this. It's knackered. Go to reception to ask for a screwdriver. No screwdriver. Maintenance will fix tomorrow.

New addition to my stay this evening, loud pipes! Clearly the room next to me / above me is now occupied. When they flush the toilet / shower / use the sink then the pipes make a tonne of noise. 2320, and I've woken up.

Wake up. Skip breakfast, work...

Back from work - door still broken and unlocked.

Room has been cleaned. TV on... half used hair conditioner replaced.

Evening food - I have to, I'm hungry... This evenings menu includes beef! Great...

Soup is ok again (more than that, the soup is nice).

Carvery... well... Beef is chewy and it goes downhill from there.

Deserts again, cheap with liquid cream. £17 later... etc...

So... How do we put this right?

Start at the top, and work your way down.

Each room should be gutted, repainted, and modernised - then increase your price on that room. New Bathroom, new beds, new TV's.

Can't afford that? Then each room needs to be emptied. Repainted, re-carpeted, new mattress, new TV. Some of the furniture can be chucked (TV Cabinet - Mount TV on the wall). New carpet. What a difference all that would make!

Everything needs to be clean and functional - deep clean everything regularly, and have a regional inspection of the entire site to enforce standards.

Will anything happen?

I doubt it.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Morser221
Reviewed October 16, 2018 via mobile

I really was hoping this hotel had changed ,it breaks my heart because years ago we always came here fir many Christmas meals and always told our friends to try ,everybody used to be so friendly and the place was spotless .what is happening ?.....i thought i would look at the gym ,because i really want to join one out of the area I'm afraid as soon as the door opened in the pool area it smelt awful ,and it looked so i kept and scruffy .i felt sorry at the time for the young man showing me around why carnt the owners do something about this hotel ?i always felt so proud taking family and friends there ,but i couldn't possibly see any improvement s what so ever ,the bar had no coffee because i was told the machine had broke ,dear me lord daresbury even the paths outside the entrance. Were covered in rubbish and dead leaves please take pride in your hotel and bring the ambiance back this hotel was a pride and joy years ago .

Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank linda468
Reviewed October 16, 2018

We were concerned at reviews we read by previous customers before our overnight stay at this location, it looks very nice from pictures and even when you first arrive but what sadly what lets this place down is basically the rooms are in need of updating and modernising, other guests in our coach party all said the same about their rooms as well. The restaurant is very nice and the evening meal and breakfast was excellent. If a holiday company had booked us for a longer stay here, as it is at the moment, we would have not been very happy as anyone away from their own home likes to stay in a well kept room with good decoration.

Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here on a Groupon Deal, paid £69 for bed, breakfast 3 course meal and wine. Wouldn't pay full price as very dated hotel. Rooms need refurbishment. Stains on curtains, no heating in room, dust everywhere, bathroom damp. On plus side bedding clean, cheap break with friends. Can get same price deals in Village Hotels which are 100% better.

Trip type: Traveled with friends