“Great staff”

Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Warrington
London, United Kingdom
“Great staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

I stayed here with a small group of friends. The rooms were comfortable and clean. There was plenty of hot water and towels. We didn't spend a huge amount of time in the hotel but the staff really did make the difference.

I was woken up by the hotel fire alarm that went off briefly at 8am. I was eventually glad they obviously have a system that works!

Breakfast was VERY nice! Fruit, cereals, nuts, jams, marmalade, toast, pasteries, waffles, sausages, veggie sausages, bacon, black pudding, tomatoes, beans and probably stuff I have forgotten about! There was plenty of food available and service was great. There were several egg dishes available but they were still happy to cook an egg for me to my specifcation.

Room Tip: There was a wedding reception going on but we didn't hear a thing on the first floor on the oppo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Mike H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Warrington, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Kimmediate

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to write a trip advisor review. Our team were delighted with your kind comments as we try very hard as a team of people to get it right! We do hope to see you again soon.

Many thanks
Mike Hough

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
St Helens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is the second time we have stayed a the exelent hotel overnight for there all inclusive Christmas party night. Great food, entertainment by the compare and disco. Rooms for the overnight stay great value with full English breakfast to set you up for the day. Staff as always very professional and friendly.

Room Tip: Any room you book for the al inclusive Christmas theme party for you or our friends will be a bargai...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shugdiver
Mike H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Warrington, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Shugdiver
Thank you very much for your positive review. We have in excess of 5000 guests during our busy Christmas and the team work exceptionally hard to ensure everyone has a great time. I have shared your review and comments with all of the team. We hope you'll join us again next year!
Hereford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Visited for one night on business. The hotel has some strange decor with garish wallpapers teamed with pink Perspex shelves and odd statues. Checkin took some time as only one receptionist on duty at 6pm. No visible lift and no room number signs meant that finding my room was a chore. Room itself (48) was clean but rather small with barely a foot at the bottom and to one side of the bed. Bathroom was large but had a noisy fan. There was a good desk area which doubled as a dressing table but inadequate lighting for effective makeup application. There was a water damage mark on the ceiling too that could do with mending.

Plus points:
Comfy bed with topper
Great shower
Effective wifi
Hot chocolate, water and biscuits on the tea tray

Minus points:
Very hot room
No ironing boarding in room
Shower screen ineffective - water from power shower flooded floor
No safe for laptop
Key operated rather than key card

I wanted a taxi in the evening and had to wait a considerable time to order this as the receptionist was busy checking in guests. I asked at the bar where there were two staff talking but was told that they didn't have a phone and I would have to wait for the receptionist. Didn't give me the impression that they cared one bit!

Breakfast looked good with a varied selection but I just had cereal and yogurt, so can't comment otherwise.

Checkout was efficient but check your bill as I had a another guest's drink on mine!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Mike H, General Manager at Hallmark Hotel Warrington, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Good afternoon.
Thank you for taking the time to publish a trip advisor review. It was pleasing to read your positive comments about the bedroom, our new firbre optic wifi and our breakfast. I am sorry our food and beverage team were unable to call you a taxi, we have provided further training surrounding this to improve their flexibility. The shower screen has been dropped in order to improve it's effiency - thank you for mentioning this. We hope to see you again soon
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have stayed there twice and the staff are the most friendly helpful hotel staff I have met. Comfortable bedrooms with good outlook and quiet. The breakfasts are excellent and again very helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review and positive comments. We pride ourselves on having a great team of eager, friendly and willing to help colleagues and i'm glad this showed.
Hope to see you again soon
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stayed here in December 2012 for 1 night. Not my choice of hotel as I had previously stayed here, it had been booked for me. The hotel receptionist was friendly enough and booked me in. The hotel does seem a little lack lustre and could do with updating. Room was average but again could do with a little TLC. I dined in the restaurant and had to wait at the restaurant entrance for 5 mins before I was shown to a dimly lit table. The restaurant is a fair size and there were ony another couple of diners. Food was ok. The hotel is quite a distance from the town centre and not much else in the area.

Largs, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I did not choose this hotel although five years ago other colleagues enthused about this hotel. Apparently this turned out to be related to the contents of the bar and not the accommodation as I was to find out to my cost.

I was working from the western side of central Warrington, near the Unilever factory, and so it was a long 2.1 mile walk to the hotel, plus the first time I walked from the hotel into town to buy some food I got lost and it took ages to find my way. The location of the hotel is actually half way between the villages of Latchford and Thelwall, and is just off the banks of the Manchester Ship Canal, within a 1930s suburban housing estate. As such the location is not too bad but if you come to Warrington by train either hire a car or have plenty of money in your purse/wallet for a taxi unless you don't mind walking over two miles to the nearest railway station. Sadly the nearest station, Latchford, closed in September 1962 so you have missed the last train into town!

The outside of the hotel was a bit pretentious with a none too subtle hint of hedonism thrown in. Large statues of somewhat bizarre subjects, such as a large polar bear in the centre of the car park turning circle, decorate the front outside areas. The reception area appears very modern and clearly aimed at wedding weekends or party events. Upon arriving in my room I found that there was a work of 'contemporary' art on the wall which had been hit by something and had a large tear in it. I immediately had to photograph this in case someone suggested I had done it. I then found that the chair at the desk/dressing table was somewhat overtired and/or overused and it looked like a hot plate or other hot item had been sat on it, causing a white heat mark, plus the leather was badly cracked and had other stains on it.

On the first day, from approx. 0855 until 1529, a man insisted on jet washing the courtyard outside my room window, almost without a break. His jet washer was extremely noisy and even with the window and curtains shut and with industrial earplugs in I could still hear him and sleep was almost impossible.

The shower/bath was next to useless. Even when turned on full the flow of water only fell down to the plughole area of the bath, almost at the wall, so when trying to wash I had to stand almost against the wall to catch the water. The temperature, even on the hottest setting, got cooler each day, although bizarrely on the day I left it got hotter but at no point did the flow rate improve.

The room heating did not work at all. As someone with professional training in the use of valves for various purposes I am 100% happy that I was operating the radiator control properly, and indeed I tried having it fully clockwise one day and fully anti-clockwise the next but the radiator remained totally cold and I had to switch on the heated towel rail in the bathroom and leave the bathroom door open to get some heat in to the room.

The cleanliness was okay but on arrival there were hairs about the surfaces in the otherwise modern and clean looking bathroom and there were a good number of hairs and dirt on the bedroom floor too including a large blonde one which haunted me for the entire time I was staying there. The tall mirror on the inside of the door from the hallway was covered in what I very much suspect was the hand and finger prints of a small child. In short the room had not been cleaned properly prior to my arrival so housekeeping needs better checks / management.

After the first day there was no more jet washing of the courtyard for which I am most grateful. Also the bed, which looked worryingly tired and sagging when I arrived was in fact almost as comfortable as a Premier Inn one which is a big compliment.

Summary

1. the artwork was damaged and the chair had seen better days
2. the bathroom and room were not properly cleaned upon my arrival
3. the heating did not work
4. the shower was not hot enough and the flow was almost useless
5. beware that the hotel is two miles from the town centre so go by car or plan for taxis

Room Tip: Specifically ask for a 'quiet room' when booking, that way you can complain more readily if...
1 Thank Miceal T
Basingstoke
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We had 2 nights stay that was enough, room 10 i stayed in had a paint job and stank of paint fumes as did the corridor, they had the fire exit propped open to vent the smell.

The first night we had a meal in the restaurant all 8 of us, the chips were cooked in dirty fat that smelt and tasted bad, 2 of the team had fish and chips the fish was over cooked and stank, one of them had 2 mouthfuls and that was enough he was then sick at 3.00am with a bad stomach, the service was slow and they seemed under staffed.

the second night i had to ask for another loo roll as this was not refilled , the room was ok bathroom was showing black damp and mold in places.

the second night we had our staff do and the food was very good so they made up for the bad food the first night, breakfast was good buffet style lots of it, Best western - nah not for me sorry.

Room Tip: don't get a front room as the smokers go outside and are quite loud.