“Big disapointment!”

Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Warrington
London
“Big disapointment!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Booking was a nightmare, we had seen a spa package on their website but when we rang none of the staff seemed to be able to book it efficiently, staff were meant to phone back and didn't. Eventually we booked in, arrived at the hotel and were given a free upgrade - the room was small, fairly modern but not much going on in terms of style. We visited the spa and had a treatment each which were really good, the ladies in the spa were all lovely, helpful and efficient. We had carvary sunday lunch as part of our hotel package. This was nice, buffet starters and desserts. Staff were rude and unhelpful, they did not really make us feel welcome. In the morning we had missed breakfast, it was before 10am (I think it finished at 9 or half 9). Since we were on a leisure break and there were other guests staying for the spa breakfast would finish later. We asked if we could have some food as we had paid in advance for breakfast and they brought us some apples and cereal bowls. Felt a bit awkward! Wouldn't visit again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jm88001
DonnTimmons, General Manager at Village Hotel Warrington, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear JM88001,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback.

We would like to hear more about your stay and would be grateful if you could contact me at the hotel on 0871 222 4612

We aim to offer each of our guests a great experience and I am sorry that you did not have this on this occassion.

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Donn Timmons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Czech first
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here last weekend for 1 night. We actually live in Warrington, but wanted something close to Stockton Heath for a night out. We arrived at around 5.30pm, so the room was ready for us already. The reception staff were friendly, and advised us about breakfast in the morning, but didn't advise about check out time - which I think is quite important!

We were on the 2nd floor, in room 226. The room seemed to be a wheelchair adapted room as it was quite big, with a walk in shower/wet room. I was slightly disappointed there wasn't a bath, but no big deal. The room was very clean and modern. The view wasn't great - just the car park, but you can't expect anything else as the hotel is based on a business park. Once settled in, we called down to reception to request wine glasses, which were brought up straight away, however our request for ice was ignored, but again no big deal as we drank without. We didn't stay in the hotel/room much as we were only there for 1 night.

We went into the bar in the hotel around 11/12pm and had a drink. They werereasonably priced, but the atmosphere was not great as not many people were in there, but this might be a good thing, as I would have hated for children to be running around or not being able to get a seat.

My boyfriend used the shower and said it was very powerful, however when I woke up in the morning, the whole bathroom was flooded, as the plug hole was at one end of the bathroom, and where the toilet was, the floor seemed to dip the wrong way, so the water did not go anywhere, not a nice thing to wake up to!

Breakfast in the morning was buffet style, the food was nice and warm, but the drinks situation was not great. They only had 1 small jug of milk, so when you requested tea/coffee, they brought this with no milk. You would need to get a small glass and get the milk yourself from the jug, which always seemed to run out, so you would be stood around waiting for someone to fill it back up. They also only had 1 small jug of water - which wasn't ice cold, so again you had to go to the bar and wait for someone to get you a glass with ice. There was never enough glasses either.

After breakfast we went up to our room, but forget to ask about check-out, so had to call down to reception. I had to do this several times, as there was no answer and the phone just kept ringing out. Eventually we got through after 11am, to be told checkout was at 11am! There were no problems when checking out though.

Overall, the stay was good, the rooms were clean and modern and location is great if you are looking for something close to the town centre or Stockton Heath, or even a business trip, as located on a business park. Breakfast could be a little more organised, but the food was lovely.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nicola L
Dear Nicola L

Thanks for taking the time to offer us your feedback

I was deligthed to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We will of course work on the little details and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

Just got home from a long weekend to celebrate a 40th birthday, have been to lots of village hotels before and to warrington once so knew what to expect. Went here so we could go off to wales which is only an hour away. Had an upper deck room which we normally go for and would recommend at any village hotel (children not allowed). They have stopped doing the voucher books and there were no longer "pinchable" toiletries (which are still advertised on all the information sites regarding the room) but this was not a big loss as we always bring our own. They do now have pump action bottles of shower gel, shampoo and conditioner instead which partner used and liked. Room was clean, bit of mould in corner of bath under the shower door joint but nothing major, quiet and relaxing (only noise we heard all night was fire door occasionally opened and left to bang but not enough to cause a problem), the room was at the end of a corridor so no neighbours one side. Air con worked well and was needed as the room got very warm without it. Bed, fantastic, so comfy even for an insomniac!
Victory pub chilled out, good food, good beer. It has the benefits of a terrace with TV and spent most evenings out there.
Breakfast - good English breakfast, tasty and hot, only niggle, it is very warm in the restaurant.
Pool - did not go as every time we walked past it was full of parents and children so put us off, only gripe for the weekend would be that there is not enough adult only time at weekends in the pool. 2 hours on a Sunday lunch when you have gone out for the day/gone for Sunday lunch or early morning or later evening (after 7pm). There did used to be more adult only time at weekends in the pools at village hotels but suppose it depends on revenue by gym membership.
Staff- helpful, friendly, always said hello and knowledgeable about the area.
Tip- if staying and like curries, go to the cottage, 5 mins away, fantastic food and very friendly staff.

Room Tip: If no children with you, book an upper deck - children not allowed.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 26Liz

Many thanks for your feedback.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Conwy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

I loved this hotel, staff lovely and welcoming and had a great feel to the hotel as soon as you walked in, ideally situated to get to centre of warrington shops. If I had to criticise one thing it would be the dark decor of the rooms, our room was at the back so could not open blinds as other rooms could see in, the lighting was poor and TV volume not good but to be fair my mothers hearing is not brilliant . I would definitely visit again but maybe ask for a front room (so blinds could be lifted and no one see in) and there are notices asking if you wish to upgrade so would consider that too. I asked for a walk in shower , they phoned to apologise as they had not got one available but would keep one if one came available, sure enough when we arrived we got our wonderful power shower. I asked at reception for a shower mat and by the time I got into the lift back to my room the brand new mat was there for me, so service fantastic. They have a nice coffee shop in reception which is handy if you don't fancy a cooked breakfast but can certainly recommend the hotels breakfast. Outside are lots of tables and chairs to sit with a drink at any time, they have a gym that I did not use on this occasion and no parking fees which is fantastic and had plenty of spaces, look forward to staying again soon

Room Tip: Upgrade if you can or ask for room at the front
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valerie H,

Thanks for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

We care about providing our guests with a great expereicne and great value for money and we are deligthed to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Warrington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

I am a leisure member at this hotel. Most of leisure facilities are excellent. Best in warrington. However the shower area needs an upgrade. Tiles covered in drill holes. Mould between tiles. The pool furniture , loungers and tables are dilapitated. The large windows are streaked with an adhesive left when opaque sheets were removed months ago. There is mould between the chocolate coloured tiles surrounding the pool. The steam room is never cleaned properly and in places the tiles are slimey. The whole area needs brightening up. The chocolate coloured tiles were the wrong choice. The designer wants shooting. If I was paying £100 for a pamper day I would want better. Come on village management we deserve a long overdue upgrade. You are receiving at the very least £120000 per month in membership fees and some needs to be spent in the wet area to keep up with the other leisure centres in the town.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank MKLWarrington
Dear MKLWarrington

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

As you may have seen from our recent newsletter we are in the middle of planning substantial investment into the club.

This follows our commitment to offering our members the best experience and great value for money.

We are really excited about this investment and hope you love all of the changes.

Please do not hesitate to come and see me about the proposed changes.

Donn Timmons

Travelers are raving about these Warrington hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I use the De Vere chain regularly for my business trips.
Whilst the Hotel was easy to get to I feel that the prices have gone up considerably.
The room I had was a bit tired although the bed was very comfortable.
My personal feeling it is no better than a Premier Inn and much more expensive.
I have gone off this chain considerably due to the value for money aspect.
Not a great choice for breakfast have had much better at a lot less cost.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
DonnTimmons, General Manager at Village Hotel Warrington, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear yvonne_sharp

Thank you for choosing the Village Urban Resort Warrington as your preferred hotel during your recent visit and thank you for your feedback

I am sorry that your experinece was not as we would have intended and I was unaware of any issues with your stay. I am keen to speak to you in relation to this and please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel at any stage.

V Best Regards

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

I had booked this offer and to be honest nearly forgot about it.
After reading the reviews I nearly did not book and waste the money however I am glad I did not.
The room was ok , it was very dark and the sink did not empty but otherwise good.
I went for a swim and friendly staff , I wonder why village chain make guest get out of the jacuzzi when the bubbles go off though ? Virgin active have never done this ?
The meal was good and wine nice.
The drinks were expensive .
The breakfast the next day was excellent .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple