“Good quality, lovely decor”

The Grill on the Square
Ranked #6 of 434 Restaurants in Warrington
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Wa1 1jq
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My friend and I visited for lunch on Friday. The service we found was of an excellent standard. To the Pinot where I accidentally dropped my folk and as quick as a flash there was a fresh one handed to me straight away! We chose from the lunch time gourmet menu. 2 courses for £9.95. Extremely good value for money. I chose the pâté and the belly pork. Both were of excellent fresh quality and presented beautifully. I will definitely be returning. Top Tip: don't go in your dinner hour as you'll find you don't want to go back to work!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Ate here with my friend, i had the fish kebeb and my friend had the steak and ale pie, both dishes were lovely, the chips and fries were home made, we had garlic bread to start this was delicious, the service was very good, we love what the owns have done with the place, lovely atmosphere and they have managed to make a large room look cosy, would recommend.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Fabulous food. Great choice and cooked perfectly. Staff attentive and good with my little granddaughters. Will definitely visit again.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We've had probably 5 brilliant meals here, but the 6th and 7th, 3 weeks apart, and both on Saturdays, have unfortunately let us down a little. So here's the double review...

EVENING ONE
My wife phoned to book an Early Bird birthday meal. She asked for a 6.45pm table for 2, but the manager convinced here that we would be rushing and need to arrive earlier, relax and enjoy a leisurely meal. She tried to compromise but we ended up going very early at, I think, 5.45. We rushed to get there as, being so early, I could not find nearby parking.

We were shown to our table straightaway. But just under an hour later, no sign of any food. My guess is that someone from the kitchen had not turned up, or something had exploded, but we never got to the bottom of that. We finally got food - but we got the main course before we'd had any starters. The mains were taken away and the starters arrived after about 15 mins, maybe 20.

There was a problem with my starter, not as ordered, but I haven't got the strength to go into detail, so I left the bit I didn't want. The mains re-arrived and were pretty damn fine. The waiter did try valiantly to put everything right, initially offering free coffees; then, after the back-to-front service debacle, kindly offered free drinks. (Unfortunately, I was driving, so enjoyed half a gallon of fizzy water, although I seem to remember a coffee, too.) I think we skipped the desserts.

Our main concern was that, after being asked to turn up so very early, the place was empty anyway and still not very busy by the end of our long-delayed meal. So we could have arrived at the time we wanted in the first place and not had to wait for an hour+!

EVENING TWO
My wife had a great idea - instead of being smooth-talked into an even-earlier-than-an-early-bird time slot, she booked online! Problem solved, although we got a phone call a few days before, to politely make sure that we were going to turn up on time.

Things went better than the first time. Beautiful mushroom soup for me as a starter, and served quite quickly in red-hot (good!) bowls. There was a bit of a wait for the main course, but we were OK with that as it was extremely busy, being a bank holiday Saturday.

The mains were on lukewarm plates - I think the waiters just couldn't serve things fast enough - and both our mustard mash portions were also lukewarm. I could just about cope with that, but my wife unfortunately mentioned the cold veg, potatoes etc to the waiter. She'd only eaten the pork (hot), but everything was taken away and she was given a small replacement dish of (hot) cabbage and carrots. However, this was a very meagre replacement for the black pudding, mustard mash, green beans, carrots and, I think, asparagus with sauce that had been taken away.

So, two more unhappy Easter bunnies, unfortunately. Again. So, once more, we skipped the desserts.

We've had some really great meals at GOTS, but I really do hope it's not becoming a victim of its own success. I think maybe we were just unlucky, so we may try a final 3-strikes-and-you're out policy before we defect back to Stockton Heath, the Monte Carlo of The North.

That night, I was so dismayed, I went straight from GOTS to a heavy rock pub gig, relived my youth and got 'kegged'. I felt better. Then it was taxis before midnight. That's when I turn into a pumpkin.

2  Thank cheshiredave
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I came here after the Warrington vs Broncos game and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The food and wine were excellent, service was attentive and the atmosphere enjoyable. We eat out a fair bit but this was one of the best experiences we have had in quite a while. Full marks!