“Best Sunday Lunch Again!”

Best Western The Ship Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Weybridge
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Went back to The Ship for Sunday Lunch and again - well done, fab food, great service, lovely choice of either hot cooked starters & main from the Kitchen or the buffet starts and wonderful carvery, excellent! and even a complimentary glass of fizz. Loved it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tenerife-fan1
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

It was good to read your comments about our Sunday lunch buffet and carvery, which continues to get excellent feedback.
Including the glass of fizz has proved to be very popular and making a reservation is now essential, as we are usually fully booked
Thank yo for taking the time to write and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several (more than 10) times over the last few years with work. Initially I was a bit disappointed but I have since discovered that the rooms are quite variable so if you are not happy with your room you should talk to the reception as they may be able to move you to a another one that you find more acceptable.
There are 3 things to recommend this hotel. First the location, you are right in Weybridge, next to a nice Waitrose supermarket and within walking distance of several very good restaurants and a 10 minute walk to the train station. Secondly the food in the hotel is of an excellent standard, the pub is very good with daily menus which are extremely reasonable and very good quality. Great for when you arrive or need a quick meal.Finally, the staff. They could not be more helpful - I'm really surprised that other reviewers have given negative comments about the staff as I have always found them to be unfailingly helpful and polite. I suppose we all have bad days, don't let those reviews put you off.
My colleagues who come from all over Europe/Middle East and Africa and stay here often say they like this hotel because it is unmistakably English. With winding corridors and a low beam ceiling pub. Some people prefer generic chain hotels that look the same no matter which country you are in, but this hotel has character and charm.

Room Tip: If you are not happy with your room ask at Reception as they may be able to move you to another one...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

It was a pleasure to read your comments about your recent stay at the Ship Hotel and thank you for taking the time to write.
The feedback on the staff was most welcome, as delivering great customer service remains our priority.
we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Ship Hotel on 6th April. We have been here several times before, always as part of a pre-war MG car event, and it was good to be back.

We were in Room 217 - a large king sized double room - which was comfortable and well appointed. Admittedly it was a long haul there from reception but the second floor rooms have recently been renovated - we were told that the first floor rooms are to follow.

Dinner was in the banquetting suite and at the negotiated rate of £32 per head was good value. Lisa Fileding was the duty manager and we were well looked after.

Breakfast was excellent - a good choice of healthy nor gut buster food. One niggle - it was a shame to find ants in the sugar cube bowl ............

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us and I am pleased that your visit was as successful as those that you had previously. I have passed on your comments to Lisa and i have also addressed the ant situation, for which I apologise.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here in march 2013 for first time and I must say that this hotel does not look very attractive from out side but during my stay I felt very comfortable.All staff were very helpful specially after reading some previous feedback I was bit concern but in my own experience I can say that this hotel offers good customer service and food specially the breakfast service and the staff along with bar staff was good.The manager mr singh who was very helpful also helped me as his knowledge in computers was second to none which helped me great deal.I will recommend this hotel and would stay again in future.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us so much, and thank you for your positive comments particularly on the levels of service and food quality. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Ship on your next visit.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Ship is a fine historical I building which has been extended into a modern hotel a good while ago. Now the hotel is looking old and tired and not terribly clean. The front rooms in the old part of the hotel are also very cramped, freezing cold and noisy as they overlook the main road. But it's relatively cheap so all of the above would be forgiveable if it weren't for the attitude of the staff who seem to view guests as an inconvenience. I have stayed here eight times and Chloe on reception has a mantra of "I can only apologise" rather than trying to do something to remedy issues, the staff in the restaurant never seem to greet customers or show them to their table and often there's no sign of staff to serve breakfast. Even the cleaning staff don't bother with a good morning. This visit's cherry on the cake was a gentleman arriving for breakfast at 9.45 am to be told "you've missed it but we start lunch at 11.30", breakfast is advertised as served until 10am. My breakfast was almost thrown at me. Exception to this rule seems to be Viera on reception who is charming and kindly and helpful, but interestingly not British, that might say something! It also telling that the manager only responds to the good reviews doesn't seem they want to learn from their customers' experiences.

Room Tip: Go for a courtyard room don't ask for a quiet room I got one at the back overlooking the car par...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SouthportSmiff

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at The Ship, however I was extremely concerned to see that you did not enjoy your stay as we would have wished, and please accept my most sincere apologies for this at the outset.

With reference to some of the public areas which have not already been refurbished, they are marked for attention this year, to bring them into line with those parts already complete, such as the Bar, all second floor rooms, and the '300' type rooms.

Most concerning was your feedback regarding the attitude of some of the staff, and the poor service you received; I have discussed your comments with my management team, as well as with the staff members themselves, and reminded them how essential are consistantly good service standards, and most importantly a freindly and helpful attitude. I must say, that generally the feedback we receive in terms of service is excellent, therefore I am particularly disappointed in this case. Nevertheless, thank you for highlighting Viera as being so professional and welcoming - she is indeed an asset to the business.

We do respond to the majority of reviews we receive, no matter whether positive or otherwise, but always to those guests who have perhaps not fully enjoyed their stays with us, as I am sure you will see from previous feedback and our subsequent replies. In most cases we also try to directly contact the guests to discuss any issues personally, and I hope I shall have the opportunity to do so with yourself, should it be convenient for you. We welcome all constructive comment, and please rest assured that it is both taken seriously and acted upon.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before and found it wanting. Last time we stayed the standard of cleanliness (particularly in the restaurant) was poor and we had a plumbing maintenance issue in the room that was not promptly attended to. I said in my last review the great thing about the Ship, and the reason we returned, is its location; fronting on to Weybridge High Street, with free parking.

This time we found things had improved. The glasses in the restaurant looked clean and the chairs (that had some horrible stains on them) now have loose covers and look fine. Our room was a reasonable size by UK standards. Shower lacked pressure as is typical in the UK. Staff at reception were very pleasant. All in all, an OK place to stay and probably the only place to stay if you want to be able to walk out shopping.

ps. Booking.com notes a UKP5.00 charge per day for wifi. It was free to us on both occasions without asking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank English-Exile
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your most recent return review, I was very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us this time as we would wish and expect, and that the issues previously raised have been attended to. You are right in saying that WiFi is free of charge throughout the hotel, and the particular website in question has been changed to properly reflect this - thank you!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I returned here after many many years for our anniversary, and to attend a birthday party locally. On arrival the hotel looked tired and very dated. We were given a room on the second floor by a very helpful receptionist.. when entering our room it was very poorly lit and had obviously not been vacuumed there were scuff marks all over the walls, the bathroom was disgusting with stains all down the door and frame dirty floor, my husband called down to reception immediately and requested to change rooms, he was told they would call us back!! after a long wait my husband was asked to return down to reception and collect another room card. This room was not a lot better, not vacuumed again! bathroom bin had not been emptied room previous occupants!! shower rail had fallen into the bath, tea cups stained!!! we were very upset over all the commotion and now going to be late for our party we just had to get on with it??? When returning in the early hours there was no security and no one on reception, which was very disconcerting . Breakfast was very busy and we told the wait would be about 15 minutes we were not told where to wait or even offered a coffee, it was standing room only outside the restaurant with people complaining about how disorganised it was, breakfast was disappointing having to ask for fresh milk as bits floating around in the jug!!! waiting for juice to be replaced and croissants,, we decided to have fried breakfast!!! coffee was now cold!! (all in all not a pleasant stay) We asked to see the manager on check out and were told he was off and we asked if he would call on his return!!!!!!! TO DATE NO RESPONSE OR CALL 1 Week later!!By the way the party was brilliant!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jacqueline

Thank you for your review, I was extremely disappointed to learn of the problems you encountered during your stay, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to discuss them with me personally last week. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Ship, and having the opportunity to thoroughly restore your confidence with a return to our usual high standards.

Adam Salter

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weybridge
1 mi away
Holiday Inn London-Shepperton
Hand & Spear Hotel
Hand & Spear Hotel
#3 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Best Western The Ship Hotel? Share your experiences!