“Ok but for the staff”

Best Western The Ship Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Weybridge
Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Ship is a fine historical I building which has been extended into a modern hotel a good while ago. Now the hotel is looking old and tired and not terribly clean. The front rooms in the old part of the hotel are also very cramped, freezing cold and noisy as they overlook the main road. But it's relatively cheap so all of the above would be forgiveable if it weren't for the attitude of the staff who seem to view guests as an inconvenience. I have stayed here eight times and Chloe on reception has a mantra of "I can only apologise" rather than trying to do something to remedy issues, the staff in the restaurant never seem to greet customers or show them to their table and often there's no sign of staff to serve breakfast. Even the cleaning staff don't bother with a good morning. This visit's cherry on the cake was a gentleman arriving for breakfast at 9.45 am to be told "you've missed it but we start lunch at 11.30", breakfast is advertised as served until 10am. My breakfast was almost thrown at me. Exception to this rule seems to be Viera on reception who is charming and kindly and helpful, but interestingly not British, that might say something! It also telling that the manager only responds to the good reviews doesn't seem they want to learn from their customers' experiences.

Room Tip: Go for a courtyard room don't ask for a quiet room I got one at the back overlooking the car par...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank SouthportSmiff
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us at The Ship, however I was extremely concerned to see that you did not enjoy your stay as we would have wished, and please accept my most sincere apologies for this at the outset.

With reference to some of the public areas which have not already been refurbished, they are marked for attention this year, to bring them into line with those parts already complete, such as the Bar, all second floor rooms, and the '300' type rooms.

Most concerning was your feedback regarding the attitude of some of the staff, and the poor service you received; I have discussed your comments with my management team, as well as with the staff members themselves, and reminded them how essential are consistantly good service standards, and most importantly a freindly and helpful attitude. I must say, that generally the feedback we receive in terms of service is excellent, therefore I am particularly disappointed in this case. Nevertheless, thank you for highlighting Viera as being so professional and welcoming - she is indeed an asset to the business.

We do respond to the majority of reviews we receive, no matter whether positive or otherwise, but always to those guests who have perhaps not fully enjoyed their stays with us, as I am sure you will see from previous feedback and our subsequent replies. In most cases we also try to directly contact the guests to discuss any issues personally, and I hope I shall have the opportunity to do so with yourself, should it be convenient for you. We welcome all constructive comment, and please rest assured that it is both taken seriously and acted upon.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before and found it wanting. Last time we stayed the standard of cleanliness (particularly in the restaurant) was poor and we had a plumbing maintenance issue in the room that was not promptly attended to. I said in my last review the great thing about the Ship, and the reason we returned, is its location; fronting on to Weybridge High Street, with free parking.

This time we found things had improved. The glasses in the restaurant looked clean and the chairs (that had some horrible stains on them) now have loose covers and look fine. Our room was a reasonable size by UK standards. Shower lacked pressure as is typical in the UK. Staff at reception were very pleasant. All in all, an OK place to stay and probably the only place to stay if you want to be able to walk out shopping.

ps. Booking.com notes a UKP5.00 charge per day for wifi. It was free to us on both occasions without asking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank English-Exile
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your most recent return review, I was very pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay with us this time as we would wish and expect, and that the issues previously raised have been attended to. You are right in saying that WiFi is free of charge throughout the hotel, and the particular website in question has been changed to properly reflect this - thank you!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My husband and I returned here after many many years for our anniversary, and to attend a birthday party locally. On arrival the hotel looked tired and very dated. We were given a room on the second floor by a very helpful receptionist.. when entering our room it was very poorly lit and had obviously not been vacuumed there were scuff marks all over the walls, the bathroom was disgusting with stains all down the door and frame dirty floor, my husband called down to reception immediately and requested to change rooms, he was told they would call us back!! after a long wait my husband was asked to return down to reception and collect another room card. This room was not a lot better, not vacuumed again! bathroom bin had not been emptied room previous occupants!! shower rail had fallen into the bath, tea cups stained!!! we were very upset over all the commotion and now going to be late for our party we just had to get on with it??? When returning in the early hours there was no security and no one on reception, which was very disconcerting . Breakfast was very busy and we told the wait would be about 15 minutes we were not told where to wait or even offered a coffee, it was standing room only outside the restaurant with people complaining about how disorganised it was, breakfast was disappointing having to ask for fresh milk as bits floating around in the jug!!! waiting for juice to be replaced and croissants,, we decided to have fried breakfast!!! coffee was now cold!! (all in all not a pleasant stay) We asked to see the manager on check out and were told he was off and we asked if he would call on his return!!!!!!! TO DATE NO RESPONSE OR CALL 1 Week later!!By the way the party was brilliant!!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jacqueline

Thank you for your review, I was extremely disappointed to learn of the problems you encountered during your stay, and I very much appreciate you taking the time to discuss them with me personally last week. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Ship, and having the opportunity to thoroughly restore your confidence with a return to our usual high standards.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here for just 1 night on 19th Jan 2013.Very nice hotel,great location at end of high st which has great small boutiques coffe shops and pubs.Also access to the river for a walk on a nice day.Room was clean pretty big and nicely decorated,bathroom quite basic but again nothing to complain about. ( Well actually extractor fan did not work) We did report this on leaving and as the hotel had nice little small notes to hand in if anything was wrong then i would like to think that this small job was seen to pretty quickly.We were attending a function at the hotel with family and friends.I could not fault the service or food at the function. Breakfast was also very fresh and using lots of locally sourced produce and things like home made jam added to the experience. Staff all very friendly and helpful.All the public spaces and bar etc well decorated.I would definately stay again.

Room Tip: If you dont like walking or are unfit ask for a room near the lift !!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hotel dining rooms are often a bit of a let-down. They cater mostly for residents during the week and in a town centre as the Ship is, there's a lot of competition so you'll often find them half empty and not very inviting. The Ship is different. Alex, the Exec Chef, and his team have worked hard to give the Ship restaurant a proper fine dining feel and this is especially obvious on a Sunday lunchtime.

Their reputation has grown in recent years to the extent that if you don't book well in advance you probably won't get a table. It's £17.50 for three courses, which is on a par with the local gastro pubs, but the experience is significantly better at the Ship. Wine is reasonable both in quality and price and the overall result is a great meal in nice surroundings at a fair price.

Add to this that service is good (if not exceptional) and you will not be hurried away to make room for the next cover, so what's not to like?

Recommended to all except kids. I'm sure they would be welcomed but it's not really a suitable environment for them.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just a quick reccomendation to anyone looking at staying her. They are brilliant. Clean, modern facilities and the staff are fantastic. Decent prices too! Nothing was too much hassle for all the staff, from reception to bar to rooms.

The food is of a very high standard, rivalling very expensive restuarants. Also being able to park for free is a bonus. The accessibility to the shops on the High Street is perfect.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Good for business in the village, with lots of resteraunts etc close by. Parking is a bit of an issue unless you arrive early but overall a great place to stay. Modern clean rooms and despite the shower curtain pole falling on me it was a good stay.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Mark

Many thanks for your review of The Ship following your recent visit, and I was very pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Rest assured the shower curtain rail is fully rectified! I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Adam Salter

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weybridge
1 mi away
Holiday Inn London-Shepperton
Hand & Spear Hotel
Hand & Spear Hotel
#3 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Best Western The Ship Hotel? Share your experiences!