“We could have done with more suport with our wedding reception”

Best Western The Ship Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Weybridge
Weybridge
“We could have done with more suport with our wedding reception”
Reviewed February 2, 2012

On the plus side we certainly enjoyed our reception and the food was good and the dining room looked lovely when we finished decorating it with personal touches.

When the hot water packed up at home we moved to the hotel where our rooms were booked for the night and we had been told we could book in early. The "system" was down so we were told we couldn't get in to our rooms. Someone diplomatically explained the doors opened with brass keys, but ti was still a problem. The dining room was laid out, but not quite correctly and when changes were made the waitresses couldn't get around the end of the table to serve, which was their excuse for not serving wine when it ran out on the tables. The pre-dinner drinks and canapes finished before dining was ready and was embarrasing for us and we had to chase for more drinks to be served, which happened again at the dinner. If they had asked the question before hand we would have told them to keep the wine flowing regardless. They recomended how much we would need, a contingency should have been discussed, I don't arrange wedding receptions regularly, they do!

The staff agreed we could have dancing in the dining room but when the stereo we supplied wasn't powerful enough they refused to allow us to move another found in the conference suite.

The bed rooms were cold and there appeared to be no heating thorughout the night or following morning, my earrings were left in the room and not returned neither was the music left in the troublesome stereo.

The junior contingent at the wedding were invited to carry on partying when we retired and we were told this would be OK and left an open tab. But when they returned to the restaurnat for "another bopp" after getting some more drinks, the music system had been packed away. At breakfast the next morning guests arriving a tad late were given no latitude on a cooked meal, but for those who got it, it was good.

We had 65 guests, a lot of wine, champagne, a late running bar bill and about ten rooms booked for the night, so we were probably a profitable event for the hotel. However, they certainly didn't go the extra mile for us which was dissapointing.

Maybe if you are reading this and contemplating booking the Ship all of this could be covered before the day to ensure the smooth running of the event, flow of wine and warm and happy guests!

Room Tip: The bridal suite was dissapointing and I fell over the end of the bed on both sides in the night and...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Judy C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Stayed here a few times for work and have always been happy with the level of service. On checking in today , I was impressed with the level of patience and professionalism as the lady on Reception explained to a customer that sadly a 'Sunday ' carvery was not to be found on a Monday. My only downside is the direct view when laying in the bath shows the loo to be a tad stained on the underside of the rim . Will not give the room away but on the second floor. Other than that , would happily come back

Room Tip: I would stay at the back if possible as my room was very quiet
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bruce-Sally
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times and can't say I've had a "bad" experience, but for the best part of £100 for room only I expect a clean toilet - the one in my room was badly stained and hadn't seen the bleach bottle for some time I suspect.... bath water was a dodgy green colour.

The bar / restaurant area is nice and quiet, but I had to repeat my food order twice, then the waitress came over to my table to check it with me again (she had ordered the wrong thing). Guests were left standing at the bar while bottles of whatever were being sought in the cellar / cupboard. One guy was left there almost 10 minutes after ordering a drink! The food was ok..... "asian salad" I expected to be a sort of stir fry / noodley/ cabbagey kind of concoction but it came with a load of oranges and pomegranete. Odd but nice.

Breakfast good, efficient staff. Check out was too slow - breakfast hasn't been added and there was a bit of to'ing and fro'ing to get it sorted.

Might seek an alternative next time. Dirty loos really are a no no The Ship - take note!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gilly6beans
Devon
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I booked this hotel for a couple of nights away with my wife using Best Western Rewards and was a little worried after reading some of the previous reviews on this site. Our experience cannot have been more different, from the moment we arrived we experienced nothing but good personal service. The room, 203, was large, well furnished and very comfortable. There was a large flat screen tv with full choice of freeview channels and efficient fast free wifi access. We did not use the restaurant for our evening meals but breakfast was very good with buffet cold choice and hot food cooked to order, I can particularly reccomend the smoked haddock and poached eggs although the quality of the other hot breakfast items was also very good.

In summary the Ship Hotel was excellent value for the £59 we paid bed and breakfast and I would have no hesitation in booking this hotel again or reccomending it to friends and family. Thank you very much for a most enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor, we had 203
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shaldonsam
walton-on-thames
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Popped in today to shelter from the rain and decided to have lunch in Gordon's the Hotel's restaurant. Friday is Pie day, every week there is a selection of two choices, including a drink for about £8.00 including veg. Ordered a helping of bread (made on premises, fresh & tasty, one with seeds and nuts, the other with fruit of some sort) and olives, marinated to their own recipe on the premises, with a refreshing citrus twist.
I had the Chicken, Leek and Ham pie, my husband had shin of beef with red wine and mushrooms - cooked to order, wafer thin hot crust pastry encasing a full portion of delicious, tasty meat. Veg was a good size portion of peas and courgettes, with a handsome dollop of creamy mash. Gorgeous. The generous glass of house white went down a treat, too. If you're passing, or need a taste of super high quality chef cooking with warm, attentive service delivering real value for money, do stop and give it a go.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank aurora1962
Oceanside, California
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Webridge is a quaint and welcoming town and the Ship Hotel's facilities were outstanding. I had booked a single room, but when I arrived I asked for a room with two beds and they changed it cheerfully for no additional fee. The bathtub was huge and welcoming and the tea service found neatly concealed in a drawer under the television set was complete with biscuits and tea/coffee offerings. The bed was extremely comfortable, the room agreeably large, and my interaction with a manager and the reception staff was cordial and efficient. My past employment as a customer service representative makes me a discerning judge and the Ship Hotel was 5 star in every possible category.
The Olympics are going to put a huge burden on downtown London. Webridge is a short (25 minute) train ride from Waterloo. If I planned to attend Olympic events, I'd prefer stay at The Ship in Webridge to avoid the craziness downtown.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Jocelyn S
Generalmanager005, General Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank for taking the time to write a review.
It is always pleasing when guests write a positive review and more importantly have enjoyed there stay.
I will pass your comments on to all our staff.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel in the near future.
When wishing to make your next reservation at the BEST WESTERN SHIP HOTEL please
call the hotel and ask for myself so that i can deal with your booking.

Kind Regards,

Newcastle
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Pro's:
- Central Weybridge so walking distance to restaurants etc
- Breakfast decent (when it arrives)

Con's:
- Room small, grubby with uncomfortable bed
- Some sort of pump outside noisily going at 2am still - no one manning reception so no way to get it fixed despite calling repeatedly
- When returning to room on second day, found furniture polish left on bedside table - clearly not the most effective cleaning!

I keep trying this hotel in the hope it has gotten better. It keeps disappointing me. Will not be trying again.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank pj1382
Generalmanager005, Manager at Best Western The Ship Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to give a review.
Iam indeed sorry that on this visit to the hotel you encountered shortfalls in standards.
We are presently looking at replaceing all flooring in public areas,some soft furnishings
and have a plan in place to upgrade some bedrooms in the new year.
I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the new year.
When next visiting the area please call myself so that i may deal with your booking
personnally.

Kind Regards

Travelers are raving about these Weybridge hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weybridge
The Warren Lodge Hotel
The Bridge Hotel
The Bridge Hotel
#3 of 4 in Chertsey
Premier Inn Cobham Hotel

Been to Best Western The Ship Hotel? Share your experiences!