“Nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Cowshed

The Cowshed
Ranked #21 of 471 Restaurants in Wolverhampton
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Set in the South Staffordshire countryside on a working farm just one mile from the village of Pattingham, The Cowshed has been converted into a fantastic contemporary restaurant. Originally the Clive Farm Dairy, the dining room now boasts a stunning interior featuring rustic oak beams and a mezzanine balcony area. The Cowshed's classic modern British menu, under instruction from Head Chef Joe Whitehouse, features favourites such as the pan-seared scallops with pancetta and sherry jus served with ciabatta toast; pan-roasted duck breast served with a zesty potato cake finished with a kumquat and grenadine jus; and the restaurant's signature Cowshed game pie stuffed with quail eggs and served with a sharp home made chutney.
“Nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I really don't understand some of the reviews here. Maybe a change of staff?? Food was delicious and service prompt and very friendly.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Glad we gave it a second chance.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband used this restaurant many years ago and had a bad experience and vowed never to go again. However, I convinced him to give it another try.

We visited on a Tuesday night and the place was full.

The food was exceptional, served on nice warm plates by very friendly staff.

The little added extras (bread and dip and amuse bouche) were a nice touch.

Would definitely recommend.

wolverhampton
“Fabulous staff, fabulous food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My partner and I decided to book a table here for lunch as the restaurant had been recommended by friends for the high quality of food. On arrival we were immediately seated by friendly staff who, without prompting, helped my partner's grandmother to take off her coat and brought her a cushion to make her more comfortable, which we greatly appreciated. Our drinks order was promptly taken, bread and oils placed on the table and we were given a free pre starter of cauliflower and stilton soup which was delicious. The lunchtime menu offered 3 courses for 12.99, and each course was excellent. For a main I had the salmon that, quite literally, melted in the mouth, and my partner's fillet steak was excellently cooked. The accompanying hand cut chips and evidently fresh vegetables were a lovely attention to detail and the generous portions were more than adequate; I couldn't finish mine! The wide range of choice on the menu was surprising, considering it was a lunchtime menu, and the food was absolutely fabulous. I can also recommend the wine, though there were beers and lagers available for my partner and coffee for his grandmother. All in all this was a lovely experience made more so by the friendly and attentive waiting staff. Would definitely recommend and will certainly be returning!

UK
“Poor customer relations - bad attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

If you like mis-described food and being abused by the staff, this is just the place for you.

I had better explain. Although we had heard that The Cowshed had had a bad reputation in the past we fancied a change and thought it worth a shot.

Lunchtime and the place was empty bar another couple. My wife's Prawn Marie Rose Atlantic Prawns cocktail turned up with defrosted, and tasteless, shrimps not what we would consider to be Prawns. When we pointed this out to the waiter/assistant manager he shrugged his shoulders and said "It says Prawns on the packet". So no opportunity to change them then.

My starter was fine as was the main although it was described on the menu as "Pie" and was in fact a bowl of stew with a triangle of flaky pastry perched on top.

So far so good, until an older woman appeared to take us to task over our complaint. I have never experienced such a performance in a restaurant, She waved a packet of apparently unbranded shrimps, described as Prawns on the packet, at us and said that we were wrong to complain.

When we mentioned that the Pie wasn't a Pie at all she said "that was their interpretation", and when my wife said her Hake cake was cold and dry. they said it wasn't, we were mistaken. The assistant manager/waiter also said we were not welcome there and should never return. As if we would. I was tempted not to pay and have there "Interpretations" tested in court but I felt that would be more trouble than it was worth, after all, I'm not returning am I?

In Summary a bit of a curate's egg, my meal was fine if mis-described, and having a stand up row with the staff was an entertainment not previously advertised. Ten minutes down the road are three very good Pub/Restaurants which I would always recommend and I suggest the staff here take a look at their competition, and learn.

I should also point out that I had also phoned the day before to book, but on arrival they had no knowledge of this. Luckily or unluckily, there were many empty tables.

January 2013

4 Thank unclegeoff
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“very poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

2nd visit to this restaurant. This time the menu is not children friendly in my view.
My husband and I were very disappointed with the meals. I had to ask for just the chicken with no sauce and just chips for my son who does not eat Nouvelle cuisine. Only 8 chips on the plate,
chicken small piece with very pale skin, supposed to be pan fried. Disgusting. My husband and I
were shocked at the smallamount of sauce on the plate with the meals. Only nice thing really was the wine. Will not go again, The bill was £85 not worth it considering the service was very
slow.