“Believe me this place is not pretty, but the food is well worth the ugly surroundings!”
Review of Jivan's

Jivan's
Ranked #33 of 514 Restaurants in Wolverhampton
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I have to be honest here and say had I not eaten here before I would not touch this place with a bargepole if I was basing it on visuals. It is slap bang between sex shops, dirty kebab crap holes and on a street that makes the Bronx look attractive....BUT please give it a chance as the food and attentive waiting staff really do make up for the location. And in fairness, this place was there before the dregs of society moved in around them.

I usually have the Vegetable Biryani with naan bread when I eat here and the portions are quite large so this is plenty for me. My partner often has the chicken and mushroom balti with rice and chips. There is a range of drinks and the prices aren't too bad for a city centre balti. Yes I have seen better restaurants but it does what it says on the tin and since I last ate here a few months ago it has been redecorated with a bit of a change round from what I've heard. I plan to go for a meal in 2 weeks here after a gig at the Civic so I will add another review then but based on several visits I have made here over the years I have never had a bad meal here and have never had reason to complain.

The other reviews on here about the place being uncomfortable and with church pews etc are relatively valid as the seating is wooden and pretty bizarre for a restaurant but it has never made anyone leave or not eat here so I fail to see what the fuss is about with that. I have always said that it does need updating as it hasn't changed in years.BUT it is still popular and people return time and again so it can't be too bad can it!!

Try it, as you might find that tasty food is more important than being located on a swanky street and what it lacks in seat cushions it makes up for in tasty meals and is budget friendly.As they say, don't knock it until you've tried it!

1  Thank harps777
There are newer reviews for Jivan's

Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been meaning to pop in for a curry and felt I should.. Not much to look at exterior wise but the food was very nice.. Great size. I had chilli chicken and partner had a Balti, I like mine really really hot. If I'm not sweating whilst I'm eating a hot curry it's not doing it for me.. This one didn't have the right hit of spice but the taste was great.. Nice dips to start but popadum was soft in the centre so must have been left under the lamps to long..Rice was lovely and plain naan was huge and real good..
We enjoyed it. Great value for money and would go back again for a mid week treat.

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

The first time I've ever had to wait for a table but it was worth it. The food had loads of flavour and couldn't believe the amount if meat in the curry. In addition, they were in small chunks that you can eat without spending time cutting. Would recommend to anyone. Never disappoints.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Fantastic as always, Great Value and really nice food. I have been using this place for over ten years and its just as good now as it was then!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

A significant strength is the front of house lady who smiles her wy through her role.
The decor is unusual and relaxing. The menu is broad, and there his a welcome opportunity to select the'heat' of your main dish. The food is delicious and 'fresh-tasting', the naan bread exceptional. The "four star" white wine was a bit sweet for our liking but otherwise a class operation

1  Thank Pearboy