“Wonderful Stay!!”
Review of York Hotel

York Hotel
Ranked #12 of 21 Hotels in Wolverhampton
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have just stayed at the York and I must say that we were really bowled over by the lovely warm greeting from the hotel member of staff, Chris. He made us feel really welcome. We found the rooms beautifully decorated, well equipped and comfortable. There is plenty of parking on site to the rear. Breakfast was delicious and again, nothing was too much trouble for Chris. We were really impressed with this hotel and will be staying again next time we are in the area. It's real value for money!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The York is Lovely hotel with friendly staff,clean rooms and a great breakfast. Would definitely recommend.
We arrived to attend the v festival and had rang to explain we would be arriving early To leave luggage. It caused no problem and was given our key to our accommodation knowing we might arrive home late.
When we did arrive home late there was a fantastic Scottish lady who was so helpful and made us a fantastic hot chocolate to send us of to bed.
Overall it was an excellent service

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The hotel has potential BUT we did have to ask for toilet paper,tea and coffee, fresh towels etc. mainly because no one visited our room on a daily basis.The on duty staff were very helpful and the breakfasts were very good .There were NO evening meals.I did write to the manager but have received no reply, despite having been a guest on previous occasions.....this is disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WalesBrunel
Reviewed May 13, 2013

All our dealings via mail and telephone were positive, despite hiccup on confirmation it was dealt with by Daniella and Lucy very professionally. On arrival Lucy was very helpful and let us check in to room 4 earlier than given time, the room was very dated (not in a period way) and looked tired in both bedroom and shower room. Venetian blinds, drawers, under bed except for where old mattress stored, cupboards all dusty, TV and freeview box balanced above did not work, Lucy promptly tried all three of the remotes (yes three) and as we were going out she would change the batteries, when we returned the TV with reduced picture size was working and we were down to two remotes, instructions on the dressing table to turn on TV, then use button 1 then 6 then use freeview remote? A chap whom I assume was maintenance came up to check the TV, checked the cables, had trouble balancing the freeview, made a point of telling us if visitors didn't interfere with TV etc it would be OK, I think that was aimed at us and I would point out that if things work then people do not touch. Heading out for the evening and was delighted to find a power shower but couldn't use it for long as the trap partially blocked and the shower tray was filling up quicker than it could get away, silicone and grouting, some missing some poor standard, lots of force to ensure the basin taps did not drip. After a pleasant evening with friends we are back to bed and tank or pipes filling when another room used water caused problems sleeping. We were up for a birthday evening meal and breakfast so we cannot comment about the food so you would like to think that this and the staff must be the owners saving graces. When checking out Chris was very polite and took down a list of our concerns and complaints and maybe we will hear from the Management.

Room Tip: Don't judge all rooms by the photographs, check the room for yourselves.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank keith h
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a few nights whilst on a training course with work and must say I really enjoyed the hotel they'd put us up in. The bedroom was a really good size and the bathroom was huge! It had a nice,comfy bed, a fully working tv (they're rare!) and the most amazing power shower I've seen. Staff were really friendly in booking me taxis every morning and for general directions to local amneties as I'd never set foot in Wolverhampton before. Breakfast was delicious every morning and so was the evening although there wasn't a huge choice on the menu. The Scottish lady i spoke to whilst in the bar watching television was really friendly and I was made to feel very welcome. Now I;m trying to get the partner to stay at the hotel, I loved it that much!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank David J
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Spent one night at the York Hotel as part of a group. My room was huge and the bed really comfortable. Food excellent for dinner as was breakfast. Our only quibble was that the tv remote wouldnt work even after an attempt at changing the batteries and changing the remote. A small blip! Staff were very friendly and accommodating.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 1 - a delight!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank catwoman690
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I cannot fault the York Hotel - friendly staff, comfortable bed, delicious breakfast, piping hot water and impeccably clean room. However it wasn't just that these expectations were met, it was all the 'extras'. It is lovely to be given a warm welcome, to have ones' idiosyncrasies indulged, to be made to feel at home.
I've stayed in so many hotels - they are usually inoffensively bland and indistinguishable one from the other. The York has character and charm. The conversations I had with the staff were delightful. I think I might have had the best scrambled eggs in my life.

I recommend it unreservedly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends