“A good meal”

Ranked #133 of 540 Restaurants in Wolverhampton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I recently visited here with my boyfriend and his family for a meal on bank holiday Monday. The restaurant was pretty busy, which was to be expected given the bank holiday. We were initially told we would have a 40 minute wait for a table, however whilst ordering drinks at the bar we were told our table was ready which was pretty good.

The menu is huge and there was also a special menu so there should be something for everyone. It was very hard to make a decision! The food is good value for money, and our main meals were a decent quality. I ordered the salmon special which came with a sauce boat of sweet chili sauce. I assumed that as it said the sauce was in a sauce boat that it would be on the side, however when it came it had been poured on the fish. So for those people who are not sure if they want the sauce make sure you ask for it on the side to be safe!

Having seen the dessert cabinet when we came in, we all decided that we definitely wanted a dessert. Again, the possibilities were endless with numerous hot and cold desserts on the main menu, as well as the choices in the dessert cabinet. Of our party of 5 we all decided to opt for desserts out of the cabinet with 2 of us choosing mile high lemon pie (a very large slice of lemon meringue pie!), one choosing a slice of the cherry cheesecake from the cabinet, another opting for the strawberry tart and the last member of our party opted for the Marathon cake.

The lemon meringue pie was very tasty and I could not fault it. The other members of our party were disappointed with their desserts as the cheesecake was made with artificial cream rather than being a proper cheesecake, the strawberry tart also used this cream and so was a bit disappointing. However, the portions were very generous and were not badly priced either.

The service we received was pretty good. The wait for food was not too long given how busy the restaurant was, and all staff were very friendly and helpful.

Overall I was happy with my meal and I would visit here again, although I would perhaps be a bit more careful about what I order next time.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Oh dear. After visiting this place a couple of months earlier, I thought I'd return with my young daughter. Sure, the first time I went the staff were more preoccupied with each other than serving, but it couldn't get any worse could it? Mistake number 1. Not only were the staff still messing about with each other, they were also more interested in having the craic with - and this is my assumption - the locals.
Mistake number 2: ordering a jacket potato with prawns. Rock hard potato, chewy prawns and watery marie rose sauce. Yuk.
Mistake number 3: going there at all. Will not be returning as I have better things to spend my hard earned cash on rather than eating something that I wouldn't feed to a dog and being ignored. No thanks.

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

The food is great the location is good the drinks are all really good value for money but the staff leave lots to be desired. We eat out a few times a week an we have been to The Gatehouse several times as a couple an in a group of friends but its going downhill. No where near enough staff serving for the amount of guests, so really great value decent quantities just be prepared to make an evening of it because the service definetly lets the place down.

Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Popped in for a drink and was pleasantly surprised at the place. A clean and tidy pub restaurant with a standard 'hungry horse' menu. We only stayed for drinks but must say the food seemed tempting especially the deserts on display near the bar which looked heavenly. All the other eaters seemed content and happy. Will definitely try the food another day soonish...

Reviewed April 27, 2013

went to the gatehouse as a group of ten when it first opened and was very nice. myself and husband went sunday for roast and it was awful, the meat which was beef was like boil in the bag and was tastless because i asked for no veg i had a plate of 2 slices of boil in the bag beef a yorkshire pud which was so dry was unbearable to eat and 8 roast potatoes which was dry and i thought they were the frozen type and a little gravy. a group of 9 went tonight at 7pm and had to wait over a hour for a table and then they gave us a table for 6 and added a few chairs, after comments they moved us all to a table suitable. what i would also like to sayis you cannot book a table in advance but they dont have a waiting area either