“Slightly Disappointing”
Review of David Austin Roses

David Austin Roses
More attraction details
Owner description: Alongside the Plant Centre are David Austin's beautiful 2 acre rose gardens. They are home to over 700 different varieties of roses, including the National Collection of English Roses which flower in fragrant flushes from late May until the first frosts. The rose gardens are open to the public 7 days a week, 9am to 5pm and entry is free. Advance booking is not required except for coach parties. Check our website for special events (Lunches, Talks, Garden Design Days) during the season.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

After a long drive and arriving at 9:30 in the morning, a pitty to find no hot good / breakfast available, only 4 young girls serving tea and cakes?
Rose gardens obviously excellant.

2  Thank vintageandretyred
"display gardens"
"china cups"
"mid june"
in 7 reviews
"beautiful place to visit"
in 10 reviews
in 38 reviews
"lovely lunch"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I randomly decided to go visit David Austin Roses and what a great idea that was; although coming to the end of the season the roses were still prim and proper, we could see that the gardeners were working very hard, the heat was unbearable as it was, never mind working out in it!!

We wanted lunch but the main restaurant was very busy so we decided to op for tea and cake in The Gallery, a lovely place, so British and gorgeous! It looked just like a little cottage, we were greeted by a pretty young girl who politely told us to order at the till, so we did... And much to our delight, our order came to our table quickly... The slice of cake was enormous!! (not complaining, it was delicious)

However there was one very rude lady on the table opposite us, she was raising her voice at the young girl because she didn't like the cake... I thought she was so rude but the young girl kept her calm and politely asked the lady what the problem was and dealt with it in a calm and professional manor, I don't know how she did it; I certainly couldn't of!

Overall, it was an EXCELLENT experience and i will be returning again!!!!!!

2  Thank Katie-Bennett
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I love David Austin roses and have wanted to visit for a long time.
Rose garden beautiful and the shop was great. However there only seemed to be one older lady in charge in the shop with a trainee which was fine. The tea room seemed to be run by 4 pleasant teenagers who were totally out if their depth.
We queued for 15 minutes to be seated despite the fact that there were empty tables. They were very pleasant but service was very slow and I felt sorry for them as people were complaining about the wait. The older lady from the shop appeared and things seemed to move a lot faster. We had coffee and scones which were fine, had to remind them to bring the jug of water.
Judging by previous comments this is not unusual, they need to get more staff and supervisors to organise them.

2  Thank gardenloverUk
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My daughter and I stopped,off here on our return from a long weekend in Cheshire. The gardens were as amazing as ever but what a disappointment the tea room was. I have been before and had excellent food and service but this was atrocious. The only thing on offer (at 1.15pm on a Sunday) were scones and butter and even those took 20 minutes to be served. The ordering and dispatching system needs a good overhaul and there should be someone in charger rather than relying on young people who needed direction. I don't think I'll return.

2  Thank UKBells