“A Favoured Place”

Wombourne Tandoori
Ranked #73 of 477 Restaurants in Wolverhampton
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Wombourne's premier and longest established bangladeshi Restaurant under the expert management of Rafique Miah and his brother, Head Chef Makhan Miah. Established in 1989.We are proud to announce that we have received a 5 Star Rate My Place Award Presented by the South Staffordshire Council.Winner of ''SIMPLY THE BEST'' Restaurant Competition 2009Winner of the ''SPOTLIGHT AWARDS'' Best Eating Place - 2007/2008
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“A Favoured Place”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

This has been my takeaway of choice for 10 years now - and it is easily the better of the two restaurants in Wombourne. I love a Madras Chicken Tikka curry from here, Mushroom pilau rice, Keema Nan bread. I note that their competitors from around he corner have placed a banner advertising their wares right outside this restaurant in an attempt to steal trade. Shame on them - it makes them look cheap and it means I will favour Wombourne Tandoori over them...

• Visited July 2013

“Excellent again!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

We eat regularly here and it's always very very good, service is excellent, food is always good! I recommend you try the any of the chefs specials.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Stu7482
Halesowen, United Kingdom
“Been a lot better in the past”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have visited this venue many times over the past few years and this was the worst it has been. The nan bread was dry and pretty tasteless and the kurma was watery and without much flavour. Not as busy as it has been in the past which is no surprise if my meal was more than just an off night.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Baggie57
shalek m, Manager at Wombourne Tandoori, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
We were sorry to note that you did not enjoy your recent visit to our Wombourne Tandoori. Your kurma dish is a traditionally very mild one and should be found too be of a creamy texture rather than a watery one. We do hope that you will visit us again and let us show you that your experience was a one-off. Remember that we are always very busy on weekend evenings.
“Great!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Just had a lovely meal here. Come quite often and are always made welcome, staff friendly, food delicious and great value for money! Well worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I visited Wombourne Tandoori on a friend's recommendation but, sadly, it was a bit of a let-down. The table was cramped and the service slow. The initial poppadoms were satisfactory but the accompanying sauces were watery and bland. When my main course arrived (keema mattar) it didn't look particularly appetizing. A taste confirmed that it was like something that had crawled out of a tin: sloppy, nondescript and cold. Maybe my taste-buds have been spoilt by Patak's and that's why eating this meal only vaguely reminded me of something like eating a curry. I tasted my friend's chicken Rogan Josh and it was the same sauce (scandal!)

Seeing that there are many positive reviews for this restaurant, I can only assume that there are other competent chefs working at this place but I'm afraid I won't be taking that risk!

• Visited December 2012
Many thanks for your review. We are a busy restaurant particularly at weekends but do apologise if you had a long wait for table service. However we are very disappointed to read your critical comment on your chosen meal - keema mattar. This is a delightfully tasty dish with freshly minced lamb cooked with original spices - NOT out of a Pataks bottle but mixed and ground by our chefs. A rogoni dish uses a different mix of spices and should not be found to be similar to other dishes.
Once again we do apologise we did not meet your standards. We do hope that you will visit us sometime in the near future and let us show you that your experience was a one off.