All reviews swimming pool leisure centre four poster bed window frames sauna and steam room national holidays restaurant staff coach trip weekend break one night stay course meal wedding reception tea and coffee couldn't do enough town centre faith lisa
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed hear earlier on in the year with my Girlfriend and was pleasantly surprised at everything on offer, especially the customer service.

I'm happy to say that on my return at the beginning of this month they have again exceeded all expectations.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner were superb with plenty of choice on offer, I believe there's a new head chef in place and he knows what he's doing.

Nice to see some familiar faces as well, Faith, Tina and Lisa provide exceptional customer service with a personal touch remembering me and my girlfriend including what we like to eat and where to be seated.

Sam is still one of the best barmen around, serving multiple customers with a massive smile on his face. ( plus a fellow LFC fan, lol)

Richard is also exceeding after taking over as General Manager and is always happy to talk to guests, help them with their luggage and make them feel at home.

I believe there are alot of improvements planned under the new ownership and so far it's looking good, I'll be back soon.

Keep up the good work Goldthorn, and whatever you do don't change the Staff! Lol

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I booked this hotel as a convenient base whilst visiting friends in the area, the location was great and the car park large enough to accommodate all even when the hotel is busy with guests.

I was met at reception by a very friendly woman who quickly greeted us and checked us in. She had great local knowledge and happily answered our queries. The reception lobby was very modern and chic, it looked up to date and recently renovated with lovely seating.

Our room was immaculately clean and tidy and the standard was very good, more than what I had expected for the price we had paid, bargain! The bed was very comfortable and I had an excellent nights sleep.

I did use the restaurant and found the food to be good and the service attentive, Faith in particular stood out.

Check out was easy and the receptionist was very friendly and pleasant, she asked how the stay had been and what we had enjoying doing whilst we had been here. I thought the lollipops on check out were a lovely touch too!

All in all a great hotel and I would definetly stop here again when in the area.

Stayed: September 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were there with family for a wedding nearby, our family in other rooms, we refused 2 rooms as they were shabby, grubby and awful, room no 3 was the best of the 3 even though shabby, the ground floor public area has had investment but that stopped at bottom of stairs, upstairs creaky floors, fire doors not closing properly and all decor in grey and depressing !
Other family members unlike me did not complain till water was flooding in their in the early hours of morning, this hotel should not be trading under the name of MERCURE as we have stayed all over europe in MERCURE hotels and all were of a superior standard and quality than this, if I had not paid in advance I would have gone elsewhere.
This is an old building with a lack of investment charging premium rates for a shoddy, cheap and nasty place.
To say this was like Faulty Towers would be an understatement......
We are writing to Mercure head office to seek some form of redress.

Room Tip: do not bother , go elsewhere , we tried 3 rooms and were all shabby and grubby
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Stayed here for a party last weekend
Hotel is not in bad shape could do
With the rooms being looked at
Reception is looking
Staff lovely could not do enough for there guests
Big thank you to Richard and faith
For looking after us they are like
THE TWO RONNIE's make gou feel
Very welcome

Stayed: September 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2018

I’ve just got to tell you what a great experience we have had at this venue for a joint party.
When contacting the hotel Alison - Events manager has been so helpful and accommodating, nothing being too much trouble.
It was hard to book a joint part that started at 5pm and finished at 1. With 2 different food servings etc, but t al came together so very well.
We were able to book hotel rooms for guests wanting to stay over which were also very good value and well kept. we ended up with room 81 - four poster room overlooking the garden.
The main room accommodated 9o but there is an additional room that food can be served.
A lot of or guests sat in the lovely modern bar and chatted for a while
The food was exceptional -
1st sitting -burger/hot dogs and veg burgers
2nd sitting - chicken curry, chilli, veg lasagne

All the guest commented on the taste and amount of food available in a very positive way.

The person on duty that evening “Faith” was also very accommodating, ensuring everything happened as it should .

Hotel manager throughout he evening made sure too that we were happy.

Cannot recommend enough this venue.

We had 110 guests throughout the evening and a disco, led dance floor and photo booth which were easily accomodate

Room Tip: There wasn’t a lift to get people onto other floors
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled with friends