“The nicest and friendliest staff you will meet!”

Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Wolverhampton
huddersfield
“The nicest and friendliest staff you will meet!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a great place to stay. The staff are lovely, and cannot do enough for you. Drink prices were cheap, and the food was excellent.

Only qualm I would have us that the room was red hot as was all of the hotel even though it was only 16 degrees outside. Therefore I had to have the windows open, which impacted on my nights sleep as the hotel us located on a busy road. Nonetheless, if I am ever I. Wolverhampton again I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Many thanks for your comments
Sorry about the heat - the heating is off! The hot water pipes do run through the floors though

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My friend and I had a voucher for afternoon tea, which although was not expensive, stated it was in the restaurant and included sandwiches, nuts, crisps, scones jam and cream.
The room we were taken too was down stairs in this cellar type place quite dark and enclosed, it was a beautiful sunny day and we were in this dark place.
The lady that served us was very nice, but they had no mint tea, so provided my own, the scones were ok but the strawberries were not fresh just pureed and the cream? Not really,sure what it was it was awful.
I have just seen another repeat of this voucher and it still says' in a beautiful surroundings in the restaurant', not really true in our case! Will not be going back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank whartons95
Many thanks for your review and my sincere apologies
We served you in the bar and from what I recall the restaurant had a private booking that day - so I am sorry
Have passed comments about strawberries onto the chef

Travelers are raving about these Wolverhampton hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We visited the Goldthorn as part of a National Holidays two day package deal. Upon arrival, our first thoughts were the hotel was acceptable for one night for the price we had paid. The room was basic but had everything we needed for the one night, if a little dirty and could do with a renovation. We went down for our dinner at 7pm and were promptly shown to our seat by the friendly staff. However, this was our first and only positive feedback about the restaurant. We were presented with a 3 course set menu, which was very limited to say the least! For example, what other restaurant would offer fruit juice as a starter?! We both opted to have the tomato and herb soup which strangely resembled and tasted like a watery Bachelors 'cup a soup', with an added extra of stale croutons. Once we had attempted to eat the soup, we gave up miserably and just hoped our main course would make up for this 'cup a soup'. However, the starter was literally the start of our terrible experience at the Goldthorn restaurant! I ordered penne pasta in an onion and tomato ragu and my partner chose pork tenderloin with chipolatas and stuffing. The pasta arrived looking like a children's portion and was cold and extremely bland, I have had better ready meals straight out of the microwave. Compared to the pork the pasta was like a Michelin star meal!! Where do I start to describe this? First of all the tenderloin was a single, cheap looking pork chop, accompanied with just the one undercooked party sausage and a measly ball of plain stuffing. Secondly, the waitress brought out my partners plate of vegetables, if thats what you could call them. The veg was completely undercooked, soggy and cold when it arrived - I wouldn't even consider feeding this to my dog. It was the most unappetising meal I have ever been served in my entire life. After this experience we decided to play it safe with the dessert and ordered fruit salad. The fruit was clearly out of date, it looked and tasted rancid and we just couldn't stomach anymore. Overall, this was a disgusting experience and the food was appalling, luckily earlier on in the day we visited Cadbury World so we managed to fulfill our appetite once we had gone back up to our room. WARNING - STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Brittany K
Many thanks for your comments and my sincere apologies for the problems that you encountered
All comments have been passed on to our Head Chef
Ampthill, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Return from a nights stay at the Goldthorn.. Myself, my partner and my two boys booked a deal the hotel was running Dinner B&B and a family ticket to Cadbury world...

Once arriving at the hotel after a two hour drive we checked in.. Arrived in our room, which was in the business centre, it was a lovely spacious clean room, with a four poster bed.. The only thing wrong was the room had only one single bed, but the receptionist soon sorted another to be put in...

We were all hungry and wanted a sandwich, chips and a drink.. I waited at the bar for service for around 10 minutes and no one appeared.. I then noticed KFC across the road, so said to my boys, we'll go over there.. At this point my 2 year old list the plot excuse he just wanted to settle and eat.. Finally a staff member arrived looked at my screaming two year old and looked at two other men in the bar and shook his head at them.. He then sai we have only got sandwiches.. Why don't you go to KFC across the road.. I was dumbstruck but hadnt the energy to argue... This kind of bad service followed from the bar and waiting staff.. We arrived for dinner and had the menus thrown at us.. Finally a middle aged waiter slopped over, really no personality to him, it was as if he was forced to do his job.. He said "what do you want" no what would you like to drink?? Have you chosen what you would like from the menu?? We were given I would say 2 day old rolls... Rock hard.. The starters were nice mains were ok the chicken was very dry.. In the meantime a female waitress served us, her personality was non existent to, my son said hello to her, she just looked at him as if he was an alien.. She was too keen to get back to the kitchen, where we could her them having a good laugh/fun at one stage she was pushed out of the kitchen door giggling...

The pool/gym area was ok, needs updating and the pool is salt water.. Which got to much for my boys....

Breakfast the next day I had a young waiter who was friendly and very good at his job.. He apologised or not having any sausages.. And the array of non cooked breakfast didn't look appetising, but the cooked breakfast did go down very well....

Also if the hotel could make a nice outside area for you to drink, it would be very nice...

Overall the hotel would benefit by giving the bar/waiting staff some training and the pool area updating, plus an outside area to sit.. It would make a nice hotel...

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank stulea
Many thanks for your feedback and apologies for the problems that you encountered during your stay
Birmingham
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We are just back from a two night stay at this hotel, We noticed a sign in reception that a disco would be taking place that night, very good idea to make people aware of what is happening, We were booked into a lovely room, but when we heard the sound check been done for the disco it sounded like it was to take place in our bedroom, as it was right beside the venue, we quickly re packed our stuff and asked to be moved to another room,The check in staff were fantastic especially Sarah on reception, nothing was to much trouble,She promptly moved us to the business centre across the car park,Again to be met with a lovely clean fresh room,We had a fantastic sleep undisturbed all night, We ate in the restaurant Friday night, the service was really really slow,The drink service was very slow also, I was told this was because of the disco which appeared to include food aswell,Their was a lot of people in the Restaurant that night and from what I could hear most complained to staff or to eachother about the bad service,we didnt mind to much as the lovely Lisa kept us and everyone chatting and happy,She really is a credit to your hotel, both at Breakfast and dinner,and should be recognised for her great service and customer care skills,Breakfast on Saturday morning was fast fresh and efficiend,Beautiful tasty Mushrooms,thanks Chef and Lisa for your service,Dinner in the restaurand on Saturday was another very slow process due to a coach load of children and parents from Cadbury world,It would appear they were all prioritised before any other guests,But when the food came it was nice and tasty,Sat night was a disaster,It felt as if all the children had been put in the business centre beside us !! it all kicked off at 5 in the morning with the hall way been used as a race track,and bedroom doors slammed shut along with the front door etc, So we had no sleep at all from 5 o clock, However when I spoke to Sarah and told her our concerns she quickly informed the manager Andrea and they sorted out a small refund,But more importantly she let us stay a little longer to get some sleep!! This is a great Hotel with few issues,The staff more than make up for anyshort failings it may have,But guys you need to prioritise not only your discos and Cadbury customers but your Hotel paying guests aswell !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHOTELWolverhampton, General Manager at Mercure Wolverhampton Goldthorn Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Many thanks for your valued feedback - I know that we spoke at length this morning
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future